"what makes one un-American" (cynical)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Frnkd213, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Frnkd213

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Politicians today have been using the rhetoric that they are more American and represent american values thats why they should be president. That the opposition doesn't love America. Well I would like to start a thread whereby LPSG members can say what is un-American to them.

Opposing taxing the rich- as Bachman defines the rich as millionaires and billionaires who make $250,000.00 or more. Huh?

2. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    how about being obsessively pro-american is un-American?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...but only if they are American.....and only if they interpret these rights the same way I do.

Any country where politicians get elected by appealing to nationalism is in trouble.

3. Frnkd213

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yes, good word obsessed. Blindly obsessed i might add

4. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

Democrats.:wink:

And you Democrats here will say Republicans.

5. tbrguy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    How about being born in the UK?

Doesn't mean I don't want the same things as your constitution promises you though...

About time we had one; something these here today, gone tomorrow, idiot politicians can't buggar about with or over rule with some knee jerk or partisan nonsense legislation.

6. D_Percy_Prettywillie

D_Percy_Prettywillie Account Disabled

Do you ever post anything of any substance? Do you have a special deal with the moderating staff wherein one-liners that aren't funny and non-topical half sentences set the bar for your post quota? I'm just askin'.

Anyone who is cavalier enough to declare the status of an entire groups patriotism strikes me as not only ignorant but disingenuous. The people most comfortable doing this seem to be either on the radio or at Fox News. Democrats aren't patriotic, liberals aren't patriotic, anyone who supports a woman's right to choose, who upholds the separating of Church and State by way of not allowing prayer in school, anyone who thinks the law should apply equally in terms of gay people getting married, people who think that teachers deserve benefits and health care- all unpatriotic.

At one point or another Glen Beck or Rush Limbaugh or Grace Kelly or Bill O'Riley has declared each and every one of those groups either anti-American or just unpatriotic. I could turn on the news or turn on the radio right this minute and no doubt relatively quickly I'd hear about whatever new group it is destroying our way of life and how un-American their behavior was.

While I think conservatives (specifically the ones who think God chose their political party over all the others) have the wrong idea and some of their sentimentality makes my blood boil and my skin crawl, I don't think they're unpatriotic. While I think that the members of the Tea Party are largely clinically certifiable and their capacity for understanding the machinations of the Federal Government is vastly outweighed by their self imposed ignorance and stupidity, I don't think they're un-American.

Just because you disagree with someone or some group doesn't automatically mean you're GI Joe and they're Cobra. People that engage in politics with this mindset are outclassed in eye-rolling, gut busting ignorance only by the people they lead who have been brainwashed into thinking that is how it works.

JSZ

#6 D_Percy_Prettywillie, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  7. sargon20

Gold Member

They've learned that 'framing the issue' is key to winning. And facts have little to do with it. 'Play the player not the ball' and you win (all the time).

Take George W. Bush:
    'You are either with us or against us'

The issue doesn't even matter anymore.

8. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    They seem to manage quite well to do exactly that in the US.....

9. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

I don't feel the need to post a graduate thesis on the fucking internet re: every post. I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine.

And I'm not trying to rile up anyone too much. I like it here.

10. houtx48

Gold Member

Ask Carl Rove, he has the final word on all things American. Or so I have been told.

11. dude_007

Gold Member

Good one!

However, the Democratic party existed in America before the Republican party. And I also am very tired of the "Democrats are un-American" argument, as though the members of the GOP are the only true patriots. They aren't. I am also dubious of all the potential candidates for President for the Republicans, who seem so engaged in Obama-bashing that there really isn't much other substance to their position. Yes, we know Republicans hate Obama. Stop bashing and get to specifics. Isn't lack of a plan the big complaint against Obama right now?

12. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    I can't believe I managed to find this -- ahhhh the internet & a Google search. Ernst Janning's speech in Judgment at Nuremberg!

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechjudgmentatnuremberg1.html

I think we're still trying to determine what constitutes American -- let alone UN-American.

By the way -- a 5th grade Sunday School teacher I had once said to us, "We are the only nation on the face of the earth that identifies opposition to our way of life and heritage by a 'House Committee on UN-American Activities." "Can you imagine: A Committee on "un-french activities" "un-Italian activities, etc." Kind of made us laugh!

Finally -------- I think the rhetoric we are experiencing today is dangerous to the extend that the opposition seems to have become the "enemy"! Really? Rick Perry: "I think we need a President who really loves this country!" Implication: President Obama really doesn't love this country! I absolutely, positively thought George Bush was 1 card short of a deck -- but I would have NEVER called him "the enemy!"

As I told one of my "I'd vote for a goat if it was on the Republican ticket" friends, "You see, the big difference between you and I is that if George Bush were a Democrat, I'd be calling for his impeachment!"

13. Zayne

Zayne New Member

Albums:
    The best American is a person with good credit who spends.
    A good American is a person with bad credit who spends.
    A reviled, un-American is simply a person who doesn't spend.

14. tbrguy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Who was that guy with the walrus moustache you parked in the UN while dubya was in charge?

(Seemed a bit odd - appointing a UN ambassador who clearly despised the whole concept of the very institution he worked at).

He seemed to have pretty strong views on what was and was not "American".

Scared the daylights out of me whenever he came on the box over here...

Oh yeah, wasn't it John Boulton, or something like that?

15. Frnkd213

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's un-American to try and have peaceful resolution through dialogue, rather go in with our troops and show'em whose boss!

Your not American if you are in favor of civil
    Unions, raising the debt limit- though Bush raised it several times,
    and not with the tea party- after all everyone is invited.

16. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

As an American living in Central Europe for 16 years I have had a unique "out of body" experience. You know how it is when you float above your body and can see everything going on around you? That's how I see the US now.

Living in the Czech Republic since 1995 and visiting prior to moving here I saw how communism "worked" - how nationalism worked. Flags were flown everywhere and there were party slogans everywhere as well. I walked through a museum to communism and saw those old posters and got a chill. They were almost exactly the same as the posters you see around the US. Be American, buy American. If you're not with us, you're against us. ... and more.

I go to the US for visits and see flags on cars, houses, shopping centers, schools, office buildings. Posters encouraging prayers for this or that...

Yet no one ever watches anything but Fox or CNN. No one, even those with satellite TV, won't tune in to BBC for example or, God forbid, Al Jazeera to see a different perspective.

I personally can't stand the far right christian bullshit being spewed from people's mouths. Televangelists have brain washed Americans, IMHO. You can read about some of it here - no showering naked at an all male gym, save yourself for marriage, sex education is "damaging" to young people. I'm Catholic and I go to Mass on Sunday but thank God I think for myself and maybe thank God I was born in the 50s in New Orleans, a city that has been very relaxed when it comes to this shit. Unfortunately, the far right christians are even taking over that city. I remember Mardi Gras when being naked but in full body paint was considered being "in costume" and the police would look the other way. Now, you go to jail.

I'm moving back but honestly I'm a bit scared. What I don't understand is why Americans allow the government to do what it does and not fight back. Friends and relatives say that it's for "our security". Bullshit! It's big brother in its purist form and no one sees it that way. Police forces now have so much power - all in the name of homeland security. Once, policemen just talked to you, warned you, ticketed you and sent you on your way. Now, you're just about taken into custody. You MUST have some form of ID on you at all time. In the UK that was never a requirement. If you were stopped and didn't have ID you were told to be at the police station with 24 hours to present your ID. In the US, you'll be arrested.

You correct your child in the wrong way and you'll have the child protection agency knocking on your door. You get caught peeing outdoors and go to jail and labeled as a sex offender!

Maybe I should reconsider this move.

#16 B_thickjohnny, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  17. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

There y'all go again, anyone on the right will say one thing, and on the left the complete opposite!

18. eurotop40

Gold Member

Move to Barcelona!

19. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I suppose I should say, well thank god they are running the country into the ground, but somehow that does not seem like the ideal solution.

20. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Seconded. If you want to stay in Europe, it doesn't get much better.

Draft saved Draft deleted