What Makes you British?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
So long as you continue to acknowledge the brilliance of Bertrand, Jason :wink:

You're just jealous

Rule Britannia

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When Britain first at Heaven's command,
Arose from out the azure main,
This was the charter, the charter of the land,
And guardian Angels sung this strain,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chorus[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rule, Britannia, Britannia rule the waves,
Britons never will be slaves!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Nations (not so blest as thee)
Must in their turns to Tyrants fall,
While thou shalt flourish great and free,
The dread and envy of them all.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Still more majestick shalt thou rise,
More dreadful from each foreign stroke;
As the loud blast that tears the skies,
Serves but to root thy native oak.

Chorus
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thee, haughty Tyrants ne'er shall tame:
All their attempts to bend thee down,
Will but arouze thy gen'rous flame,
But work their woe, and thy renown.

Chorus
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To thee belongs the rural reign,
Thy cities shall with commerce shine;
All thine shall be the subject Main,
And ev'ry shore it circles thine.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Muses still with Freedom found,
Shall to thy happy coasts repair; Blest Isle!
With matchless beauty crown'd,
And manly hearts to guide the Fair.

Chorus
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1779. [/FONT]

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From every mountainside
Let freedom ring! ...

D'oh! Wrong words! :biggrin1:

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmmmm my accent? My ancestry? My pride in being british?
My manners
My attitude (though I do hate queuing!!)
My sense of humour
My respect I have for others

I am welsh, through and through, so consider myself Welsh and British but do get my shackles up when called 'english', which many americans thing we all are!!!

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why can't some people accept they are American? If I did deep into my ancestry then I am Irish as my Great Grandfather was Irish. I never give it a thought and would never consider myself as Irish! I am probably a good mix of Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Roman and Angle.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My nationality is a source of neither pride nor shame, merely my current passport.

On topic; I don't think any characteristics mark me as 'English' per se - save perhaps a penchant for dry, often sarcastic humour and to a degree at least, a belief in honesty, personal modesty and fair play. But that's hardly unique to Brits.

However, I don't subscribe to a concept of innate national characteristics (oddly, some folk really do). I consider things that define 'me' (whether they coincide with a national stereotype or not) are aquired as much by social interaction and upbringing as by genes and (with some extreme exceptions) that neither prevents one being the kind of person one wants to be.

While nations may have some 'defining' qualities on a macro level, individually these break down pretty quicky, or so I've found. For example, I also like tea, but I don't believe for a second that has anything to do with my nationality other than coincidence and opportunity. After all so do the Chinese, in far greater numbers and with much more gusto. The notion that Brits like queuing is another, we don't (I mean who the hell does, OK maybe some 1980's Russians found some escapist pleasure in it) but on the whole we merely see the benefits over a free for all, this tends to come out as a misplaced prediliction for standing in line.

southwest

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Are you an English fan? Feel depressed? Down in the dumps? Then call the R.F.U help-line on 0800 10 10 10.... That's 0800 won nothing won nothing won nothing!:tongue::biggrin1:

B_Swimming Lad

Experimental Member
Media
My nationality is a source of neither pride nor shame, merely my current passport.

Well I am very proud to be British. Although I have strong ties with Russia, I will always consider myself a true Brit.
We had the biggest empire the world has ever seen. As a result we bought a developed culture to countries which may not have developed so quickly otherwise. Today the United Kingdom still holds sovereingnty over 14 nations and maintains a Commonwealth of 53 countries.
We have our own religion and yet we are still very tollerant of others.
We have the most recognised Head of State in the world and the oldest Royal line.
Our country (mercifully) is not plagued by natural disasters.
Britain has superb architecture and stunning natural features. We have led the world in science and technology and we have an amazing history of success in military affairs.
Most importantly we are free and unopressed! (is that a word?)

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you were born and raised in the USA and you do not hold a British passport then you are NOT British. The OP was asking about people who are British, not about people whose forebears were British. Further, "British" is a nationality, not an ethnicity, so to speak of being "part British" makes no sense.
I thought so, thanks for making that correction. :smile:

"American" isn't an ethnicity either, unless you're a Native American.
"English" is an ethnicity.
Sorry, but you are incorrect. People born in Canada can correctly be called Canadians. Therefore, people born in America are Americans.

you're just saying that because you're one of those 100% straight people. My nationality exists on a continuum. Some day the laws will change to reflect this.
Oh please. :rolleyes::tongue:

well just because I was born in the United States does not make me an American, Actually, that is exactly what makes you an American! :biggrin1: first of all none of my ancestors were born in the states. second of all I feel that I am not American, in fact most of the people I meet and talk to online are from England. My aunt was born in Jamaica does that make her Jamaican? Yes, it does. The answer is no, so just because I was born in the USA does not mean I am not British, I know my family heritage and respect it and would never shame my ancestors by saying I am an American.

EXAMPLE: If I had been born on at the American Embassy or on an American military base in Germany I would be an American. However, outside the base or the embassy grounds, I would be a German even if both my parents were born in the United States. Were I to migrate to the USA and become a naturalized citizen then I could rightfully call myself a German-American.

:confused::eek: You know I love you dearly Wally; but what the fuck!?!? Have your meds gone to your pretty little head?:eek::confused: If that's the way you really feel in your heart, then why are you still here? :confused: You aren't the first person whom I have heard voice such an opinion.

IMHO, anybody that dislikes America that strongly needs to get the hell out; and go to wherever you think life is better. Oh that's right you can't. :tongue::rolleyes: This is the only country on the planet that allows you to not only have such thoughts but voice them in an open forum without having you jailed for treason. :rolleyes:

B_Swimming Lad

Experimental Member
Media
Anybody that dislikes America that strongly needs to get the hell out; and go to wherever you think life is better. Oh that's right you can't. :tongue::rolleyes: This is the only country on the planet that allows you to not only have such thoughts but voice them in an open forum without having you jailed for treason. :rolleyes:

Lol. Good old Queeny! (Officially the penalty for treason is still death!) :eek:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Where's any mention of steak & kidney pie! :smile:
It's in The Simpsons, episode 2F15, "Lisa's Wedding":

Marge: Lisa, hello! How are you doing in England? Remember, an elevator is called a "lift," a mile is called a "kilometer," and botulism is called "steak and kidney pie"!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well I am very proud to be British. Although I have strong ties with Russia, I will always consider myself a true Brit.

I understand, but to me pride in one's nationality is as rational as pride in having say, blue eyes. You played no active role in the process. I can feel pride in particular actions Britain may take, feel pride when we (occasionally) stand by our principles but not in the mere concept of nationality. I appreciate it may come down to the same thing for many.

We had the biggest empire the world has ever seen. As a result we bought a developed culture to countries which may not have developed so quickly otherwise.

Had, and I think you need to polish your rose tinted specs; the British Empire was entirely economic, spreading our 'developed' culture never entered into it. It seems to me that we gained far more than those we exploited, and let's be honest it was exploitation. Any cultural exchange was incidental. Hardly a source of pride IMHO.

Today the United Kingdom still holds sovereingnty over 14 nations and maintains a Commonwealth of 53 countries.

The commonwealth is a glorified talking shop and private club, the Monarch is the titular head but she has (with a few very limited execeptions) no authority over commonwealth nations.

We have our own religion and yet we are still very tollerant of others.

Well, we have a copyright on one dialect of a bigger one and that religious tolerance is but a recent and increasingly fragile phenomenon.

We have the most recognised Head of State in the world and the oldest Royal line.

Perhaps, though I'd suggest Mr B could give Mrs W a fair run in the recognisabilty stakes, albeit for the wrong reasons. And no, the Oldest Monarchy (Japan) predates ours by almost a millenium, but, true to form we do come a respectable second.

Our country (mercifully) is not plagued by natural disasters.

That's a result of geology and geography not a cause for pride, isn't it?

Britain has superb architecture and stunning natural features.

See above. Of the nations I've been to, I do think the UK is one of the worlds most beautiful, but again it doesn't inspire pride in me, because I had no hand in it.

We have led the world in science and technology and we have an amazing history of success in military affairs.

I'm sure they were very proud of their acheivements.

Most importantly we are free and unopressed! (is that a word?)

Of course we are. But, I'll grant you, freedom from oppression is the only important thing you've mentioned so far.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
IMHO, anybody that dislikes America that strongly needs to get the hell out; and go to wherever you think life is better. Oh that's right you can't. :tongue::rolleyes: This is the only country on the planet that allows you to not only have such thoughts but voice them in an open forum without having you jailed for treason. :rolleyes:

Come on, NJ. You can't mean that.
The United States is far from being the only country that allows such thoughts to be voiced. The list is long: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK, France ...

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I understand, but to me pride in one's nationality is as rational as pride in having say, blue eyes. You played no active role in the process. I can feel pride in particular actions Britain may take, feel pride when we (occasionally) stand by our principles but not in the mere concept of nationality. I appreciate it may come down to the same thing for many.

Can't argue, dong.

Had, and I think you need to polish your rose tinted specs; the British Empire was entirely economic, spreading our 'developed' culture never entered into it. It seems to me that we gained far more than those we exploited, and let's be honest it was exploitation. Any cultural exchange was incidental. Hardly a source of pride IMHO.

I would have said that the Victorians had a very definite mission civilatrice. Which is not to say that the economic benefits were not primordial.

I'd suggest Mr B could give Mrs W a fair run in the recognisabilty stakes, albeit for the wrong reasons.

Like you, I'd go with Mr. Bean.:cool:

And no, the Oldest Monarchy (Japan) predates ours by almost a millennium, but, true to form we do come a respectable second.

I wondered about that claim. Thanks for that, dong.