What makes your state great?

The beautiful colors, the crunch of leaves under your feet, the crisp, invigorating breeze, the smell of the cold air, and the aromas and tastes in the kitchen during my favorite time of the year, autumn in the Northeast United States.
Just around the corner!

(Hesitant to divulge my location with any further specificity.)

STYLYUNG

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Notice the shape of Lower Michigan. It looks like a right hand. When masturbating, we call it "Dating Miss Michigan". :biggrin1:

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
New Mexico - it's the Land of Enchantment, and the only place that I've ever lived!

What makes it great?

Its mountains and mesas, its canyons and river valleys, its deserts and high plains, its badlands! Its lakes and streams, its forests and barren landscapes, its natural beauty! Its sunrises and sunsets, its sunshine and turquoise blue skies, its endless sky! Its cities and towns, its pueblos and Indian Reservations, its Old West ghost towns and its ancient ruins, its abandoned mining camps and its present day boomtowns, its built legacy! Its Pueblo Indians and whites, its blacks and Hispanics, its Asians and "others", its people!

New Mexico is a small state, New Mexico is a poor state. Some people don't even know that it's a state at all!

No other state with such seemingly humble status has contributed as much to this country! New Mexico has given America art and architecture, jewelry and fashion, pottery and literature, and our distinct culture. It of course, also has given its unique culinary style and its green chile!

It also has always contributed to the history of what is now America!

New Mexico has only been a state for 94 years, but its history stretches back to the 16th century! Some of our peoples and built things date back even further. We have ruins and petroglyphs that date back thousands of years! The Pueblo Indians are descendants of the ancient Anasazi that were among the first peoples in the Western Hemisphere (going back some 20,000 years!) Acoma Pueblo is the oldest continuosly inhabited settlement in North America, it is over 1,000 years old! Santa Fe, our state capital, is the oldest state capital in America and is nearly four hundred years old (founded in 1610!) Albuquerque (my hometown), founded in 1706, celebrated its tricentennial April 23 of this year! The oldest public building in America (the Palace of the Governors), still stands on the Santa Fe plaza as it has for nearly four hundred years! Our state's current history was begun by the Spanish who first explored it in 1541. They established an outpost of the Spanish Empire here in 1598. We were first known as New Spain, but became New Mexico soon afterward. In fact, the name of our state is second oldest only to Florida. The original boundaries of New Spain covered several modern day states. New Mexico as a territory, included all of Arizona and parts of other states, well into the second half of the 19th century! We were won by America in the Mexican-American War in 1841. We finally became a state on January 6, 1912. We are the 47th state to join the union.

Our state flag with the ancient Zia sun symbol that adorns it, has been voted as the best of any state flag, and of Canadian provincial flags, by the North American Vexillological Association (flag lovers).:biggrin1: In New Mexico, the Zia is ubiquitous, and appears on everything (in many different forms) from our license plates, to business logos and signs, as decorations on homes and in rockscaping designs, to most state agency logos! Our state capitol (the Roundhouse) even takes its shape! It is the only round state capitol in the U.S. It has four entrances that radiate and extend beyond its collonade and the rotunda at its center. Much like the four sets of "rays" radiate from the central circle of the Zia sun symbol!

New Mexico has many things that make it great, but that which is the greatest, is its people! We have everything from the super rich (Los Alamos County is now the richest per-capita in the U.S.), to the very poor. We unfortunately are at, or near, the top in terms of poverty (esp. for children). Thankfully, we also have a sizable middle-class. Overall, in terms of class, I'd say we are hard working bluecollar folk, with asperations for whitecollar status. We want to become better in everyway, yet keep our uniqueness and our ways of life, and our strong sense of self! We also aren't the most educated state (as compared to others), yet we have many nationally recognized institutions of higher learning! We do have many highly educated people due to our National Labs (Los Alamos and Sandia), our high-tech sector (Intel has a plant in Rio Rancho, which is a suburb of Alb.), and our biotech-research industries. Overall, New Mexicans (besides our love for our state) seem to share a good-naturedness and friendliness that is legend, yet true! We also have bad drivers, and our casual attire and laid-backness (slowness) is also the stuff of legend, and true!:redface::tongue:

Our state motto - Crescit Eundo ("it grows as it goes"), seems to sum up well, what our state is all about!

New Mexico is a small state, New Mexico is a poor state. But, New Mexico is also a great state!:smile:

Reactions: thirteenbyseven

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Its so when you get a flat, you can have it replaced so you can leave Ohio...

Heather LouAnna said:
Anybody from Ohio?

Any..Ohio-uns? Ohio-ins? Ohiuns? Ohio-ers?

It's just that I had this state puzzle as a kid and each state had pictures on it. Arkansas had a diamond, because they're the only state with diamonds. Texas had a longhorn. Idaho had a potato....but Ohio had a fucking tire.

What's up with the tire, Ohio?

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
STYLYUNG said:
Notice the shape of Lower Michigan. It looks like a right hand. When masturbating, we call it "Dating Miss Michigan". :biggrin1:

Or Mister...

I want to visit the upper penninsula again...its just so damned gorgeous up there.

Mabee this fall, and capture the elk, bear, and glorious view of the fall colors.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, all you Michiganders, I'll be visiting your lovely state in just a few weeks. I'll be spending 7 glorious days just outside beautiful downtown Douglas (I'll stir up some shit here, and call Douglas a "suburb of beautiful downtown Saugatuk.")

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You should come to Austin and eat at Polvo's, man.

Chuy's
for the win.

I think I've eaten at Polvo's...6 or 7 years ago. Has it been there that long...east of 35 where...MLK changes to......????

Love Chuy's. Eat at the Dallas one all the time. Love, Love Hula Hut!

oblong1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
United kingdom

started civilization in america leading to some other bad things but let's not talk about that

home to the inventors of everything we use today apart from bycycles, lightbulbs and fire

abolished the slave trade more heart than georgians but started the slave trade

i gotta tell u owned almost all countries in the world at one point as part of an empire only ever great empire that didnt fall defeated every country in at least one war, only ever lost one war

cannot stress this enough didnt invent tea, the chinese invented tea we just traded the tea and made lots of money from it in the victorian era now 50 percent of the population drink it

everyone have a nice day

tnman

SIR Daddy
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
well if u want to choose a slave state from the 1800s as number 1 im all about history u forget it u never change so i think history should be included in this thread
I think you all have enough problems of your own over there Hoss, why don't you tend to those before you jump the pond and come over here telling us about something that I had no control over, hell it's been over since 1865 and your country's hands are dirty as well
This thread is about states, NOT countries, but there always has to be a Damn troll like you flappin that mouth about something that is not even the thread content

oblong1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I think you all have enough problems of your own over there Hoss, why don't you tend to those before you jump the pond and come over here telling us about something that I had no control over, hell it's been over since 1865 and your country's hands are dirty as well
This thread is about states, NOT countries, but there always has to be a Damn troll like you flappin that mouth about something that is not even the thread content
a state is a populatated area with specific laws. and i just find it annoying how people say number 1 thats not the thread either

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was born in Cleveland, which isn't a state but a city that has supplied comedians with enough material to build entire careers. For most of my life I've lived in California, a state which Donald Trump loathes but who's economy would rank as the 5th largest in the world, were it a country. But since my wife and I have established a second-home in Florida, I have a new-found love for this state in seeming retrograde orbit around the Sun.

Some Florida laws: 18 Crazy Laws in Florida | Fiol Law Group

When the NFL put-on a Super Bowl in Tampa, Florida: Listen in on Kevin Harlan’s Super Bowl radio call of ‘streaker’

Reactions: sudcalifornio

RedDevilCock

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This thread started in 06 wow here it is 02/2021. I love my home state of Idaho.
Note going to put any major items out there just some quick things.
It's beautiful and Has some extremely crazy areas and weather from extreme cold to extreme heat. All four Seasons and extra ones you only get in Idaho.
We aren't land locked like some believe due to the Snake River and many famous people and money are hidden around so to speak.
As far as Protection of it's citizens one of the best by laws and guns rights.
Crime we hate drugs and you'll get a heavy sentence for them (not great but yes great don't do drugs in Idaho)
Thanks.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
well if u want to choose a slave state from the 1800s as number 1 im all about history u forget it u never change so i think history should be included in this thread
What government started the triangular trade route? Oh, wait...England (and Holland to a minor degree)