What Nancy Pelosi actually said

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ledroit, Jan 6, 2007.

1. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    "And I thank my constituents in San Francisco and to the state of California for the privilege of representing them in Congress. Saint Francis of Assisi is our city's patron saint, and his song of St. Francis is our city's anthem: 'Lord, make me a channel of thy peace; where there is darkness may we bring light, where there is hatred, may we bring love, and where there is despair, may we bring hope.' "

If Pelosi's a good politician, she's probably not a saint (and the left wing does not seem to claim sanctity as often as the right wing does), but I think the tone of her overall remarks is pretty clear from the text. Here's a link,for those of you who want an alternative to Hickboy's thread.
    Text of Nancy Pelosi's speech

2. mindseye

Gold Member

Thanks for publishing a quote with a source (!)

Incidentally, Thomas, the Library of Congress's own search engine, is an invaluable resource -- here, for example, is the verbatim transcript from the first day of the new House Session.

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wait, this can't be right...

I didn't find anything in those transcripts where she proclaimed herself the "most powerful woman in America." Nor where she even spoke with hubris.

If I accept what's in these transcripts, then that would mean those other threads are full of people who have their panties all in a bunch over...er...over what, exactly?

:confused::biggrin1:

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yeah, I watched the swearing in- it's great to work at home. Anyway, she got so many standing ovations from her fellow congressmen that I lost count. She was nothing less than graceful and enthusiastic. Her speech seemed heartfelt and invigorating, I don't see how anyone could have watched it and seen it otherwise.

5. HUNGHUGE11X7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
    Verified:
    Photo

She was brilliant and ones that are pissed the Repugnicans are no longer in power would feel this way. Either that or they hate strong women. Better get used to them though lol

:banana:
    HORSE

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

Oh, don't I know it! You've seen how many times even I get called a man, and I'm nobody. I knew a strong woman in a powerful position would make the ego-shattered souls of the limped dicked everywhere just explode. I just have fun pointing it out, that's all.

I'm sick of women feeling they need to apologise for being capable.:firedevil:

7. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah... what is up with the patriarchal midset in this country, so many of us just get all bent out of shape when it comes to strong women. I've always attributed that to women having all of this amazing energy and men are jealous and have tried to hold them down because of that. I was raised by a strong woman and I guess I have a biased view on the subject, but I know that if I had a daughter, I would want her to be strong and opinionated. It's strange... I've always loved strong women but have never ever desired to be dominated sexually by them... jeeze, I guess I must be normal!!!!!

8. arktrucker

Gold Member

Albums:
    So people what has been happening here is another of the vast right wing conspiracys smear.
    I too watched the swearing in it didn't happen and she didn't say it. However, if you listen to the idiot limbaugh he'll have patched something together to make it sound like she did.

9. cruztbone

Gold Member

Then listen to Nancy herself instead of filtering her through maximoron Limbaugh. She is a relection of what and who she has always been- a fighter for progressive causes. And she doesnt have to kiss the ass of GWB or the nation's biggest Dick(Cheney) to get her point of view across. San Francisco values ARE AMERICA'S true values, not the values of the Taliban -wanna-be's of the GOP and the psuedo-Christian fundamentalist church. Come on , crackers, pull your heads out of your asses and pay attention to the real struggle in America. that is , the struggle to make 2 Americas one again. God bless our next president, John Edwards.

10. madame_zora

Gold Member

Wow, sounds like you also have a healthy sense of self-esteem! Wanna get married?

11. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
  12. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    So does that mean that people who post unsubstantiated rumors, spread disinformation, and participate in deliberate character smears (for political ends or otherwise) are the ones who in fact are "asses"?

Or are we "asses" for taking the time out to even entertain such bullshit (much less respond to it)?

13. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Our state (Alaska)has it's first woman governor (Sarah Palin) who despite being a fundie and a republican, (so far) is getting my respect. She has reversed many extremely poor decisions made by the previous republican and reactionary catholic governor, who appointed mostly incompetent cronies.(He alienated people so much, he got 17% in the republican primary)

She has also decided to implement a dec 2005 state supreme court ruling requiring same sex domestic partnership benefits for state and municipal employees. The previous administration was dragging their feet in every way possible, even calling an 11th hour special session of the legislature.
    She is appointing capeable people, not one party hack.

She favors teaching creationism, still waiting for the other shoe to drop on that issue.

A fundie with a good decision making ability, it's usually an oxymoron.

I voted for the democrat (as always), an ex governor and mayor of Anchorage with a high phoniness and low capeability quotient.

The person who I really would have like to have had as governor, Fran Ulmer, who was the democratic nominee last time, and for whom I volunteered full time the whole election season, decided not to run again.

14. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Amen brother. I was raised by a strong woman (my greatgrandmother) and am raising my daughter to be strong and inquisitive.

Did you know that research shows that grils who are encouraged to dance and/or play sports are less likely to be victims of various forms of abuse by men?

15. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    And I say Amen to that, brother Lex.

From a straight guy's perspective, this is the reason I consider myself something of a feminist. If women are brought up to be their own strong, confident, independent people they'll be far less likely to be forced into forming phony or desperate relationships with abusive partners in order to survive.

16. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

I have no problem with women politicians. I had respect for Margaret Thatcher and Golda Maier.
    Nancy Pelosi won't have dictatorial control. Nobody gets that until the nonpartisan americans stick their heads up their asses like those who blindly support their own party. She has already been shown by the other dems in the house that they will have their say. They voted in a diff peep than the one she had chosen to be under her. It would be political suicide for the party if they let the house be shifted too far left. Over 40% of american voters claim no party allegiance.

17. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hootie, forgive me for being obvious, but, in america there isn't supposed to be such a thing as dictatorial control. Nancy isn't going to just be handed things the way she wants them, and she knows that. She is, however, pledging to work with members of both parties to come to acceptible conclusions for the american people. That's her job, and that's not how things have been handled under Hastert.

18. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

We shall all see what transpires. So far she has bypassed normal channels to rush through things she wanted. If the repubs had done this there would have been a huge outcry. My support of H. Ross Perot comes from his ability to be the only one that saw the massive economic harm that would come to the USA job market if we had nafta and the trade with china. Well, it happened and the harm is here. The industrial midwest like Ohio was harmed and peeps voted with their pocket books. Right now world economic markets are beginning to discuss a massive world wide recession led by the economic downturn in the United States.

19. madame_zora

Gold Member

I voted for Boss Ross, but for less compelling reasons. I just knew that Clinton's attention would be divided during the trial(s) and we wouldn't get his best efforts. Perot had enough money that he couldn't be bribed, and his tremendous understanding of the economy, which far surpasses mine would have been a welcome change. I admit that I am a fledgling in understanding the world economy, but I really would love to see someone from the business world as president, especially if we could find one who had the intelligence and savvy to succeed.

I've never understood why bush jr's completely failed previous business experience was not taken into account by the American voters. If he's failed at everything he's tried thus far except bribing his way through life, what made ANYONE think he'd do differently at this? It just doesn't make sense.

20. mindseye

Gold Member

Fact-check!

The House has been in session for only two days. On Thursday, January 4, the House concerned itself with elections of officers and House rules, and reading old business from the 109th Congress into the record, none of which go through the normal legislative process, because they're not legislation!

Compare this with the first day of the 107th Congress, the first day of the 108th Congress, or the first day of the 109th Congress, and identify what "normal channels" she bypassed. (In fact, you'll find that the first day's business is pretty similar across all sessions.)

The business for the second day was similar -- organizing of committees which will take their first meetings next week. The rules of the House passed on Friday -- part of it unanimously, and part of it by a margin of 280-152. Check the discussion (at the last link) which drags on for pages and pages, and explain how this was "rushed through".

Either justify or retract your assertion.

Draft saved Draft deleted