What?Nothing on The Press Confrence?

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, Geithner was speaking about the plan to fix the current capital structure affecting banks. And of course, there was nothing of substance said, just Geithner giving the administration's "goals," yet again. I think the market speaks for itself today: investors want details.

The "roadshow" was nice and fluffy, but after all the pork in it got ridiculed, everything got very vague and understandably moved quick... millions to ACORN, the $2B extra to a $2B budget to the son of a prominent lobbyist in cahoots with the Pres. Is that all still in there?

CNNMoney.com Market Report - Feb. 10, 2009
The TARP announcement "was a huge disappointment," said Stephen Stanley, chief economist at RBS Greenwich Capital. "There's been an incredible build up for weeks and then they release a plan that has little in the way of details."

Uh oh. My guess is a lot will be used to payback some debts owed.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ya this is what happens when we elect lawyers to run the country...a lot of talk, but no walk. I mean shit, how hard is it to make a decision about what to do? It took 3 months to come up with the idea that "we'll set up some programs, and we might set up a bad bank." My friggin fixed income securities class could have come up with a more detailed plan than we've seen so far, in a 1/3 of the time.

Why don't they know how to go about doing this? Because the same people who are responsible for this problem are the ones fixing it. What's even worse, they didn't even see the problem coming until it was too late. Seriously, will someone PLEASE explain to me how these bad assets will someday have value? Does anyone know, or is it just a nice thought?

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Obama was fantastic in his first press conference. I might not agree with things he says or thinks but it is refreshing to have a "sincere" president in office who can stand and deliver like any good UK prime minister has done in the house of commons.

Good job, Mr. President.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Ya this is what happens when we elect lawyers to run the country...a lot of talk, but no walk. I mean shit, how hard is it to make a decision about what to do? It took 3 months to come up with the idea that "we'll set up some programs, and we might set up a bad bank." My friggin fixed income securities class could have come up with a more detailed plan than we've seen so far, in a 1/3 of the time.

Why don't they know how to go about doing this? Because the same people who are responsible for this problem are the ones fixing it. What's even worse, they didn't even see the problem coming until it was too late. Seriously, will someone PLEASE explain to me how these bad assets will someday have value? Does anyone know, or is it just a nice thought?

The devil is in the details and Obama has said he is not interested in them.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's not just Obama. It's Geithner. It's Pelosi. It's Frank. Bernanke. Pretty much anyone who has a say has no idea what they're doing, it's pretty obvious at this point. Let's solve inflation with inflation! Let's leverage these banks who are in trouble because they were so fuckin leveraged in the first place! Another $1-2 TRILLION!!??!?!? No thanks, let these piece of shit banks fail and allow capitalism to do it's work.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No worries....Barack is just gonna pull 11 trillion $'s out of his ass, restart an auto industry that most Americans have completely turned there backs on, Get every one in The USA to work for the same wage as the average Chinese worker......so as to be 'COMPETITIVE', Get everyone in the middle-east to play 'NICE', Pull 65 trillion $ more out of his ASS for promised social security pay-outs, and in his spare time......become a member of LPSG!! Any more shit we can heap on the poor bastard?
George and Dick are laughin' all the way to the bank.

The FDR approach. Have 15%+ unemployment your entire first term, and keep blaming the other guy for 4 years. Those were different times indeed.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Good news.

I'll be careful not to post an entire article!:

Obama draws more viewers than ‘Idol’ debut

36.9 million tune in to watch president’s prime-time news conference

updated 2 hours, 18 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Almost 37 million Americans watched President Barack Obama's first White House news conference on television, according to preliminary ratings figures released on Tuesday.

The one-hour, prime-time news conference on Monday was shown on all four major broadcast networks.

--------------------

Here's a new (and welcomed!) theme in Obama's rhetoric, a phrase he's using over and over now -- long overdue in my opinion, which was hammered home again last night:

Obama: “I’m happy to get good ideas from across the political spectrum, from Democrats and Republicans. What I won't do is return to the failed theories of the last eight years that got us into this fix in the first place, because those theories have been tested and they failed. And that’s part of what the election in November was all about.... It’s a little hard for me to take criticism from folks about this recovery package after they presided over a doubling of the national debt. I’m not sure they have a lot of credibility when it comes to fiscal responsibility.”

That is confrontational language. And exactly what we need right now to bust through the stale wild rhetoric of the Rush Limbaughs and Sean Hannitys and Ann Coulters who pound home these failed theories of the last eight years - like tax cuts to huge corporations - resulting in corporation profits which supposedly (somehow) "trickle down" to the little people (you and me).

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You missed House on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday? Fine, here's a bonus episode:

PATIENT: Doctor, I don't feel so well.

HOUSE: Well, maybe they're guilt pangs because you cheat on your boyfriend, you pathetic bitch.

PATIENT: That's really uncalled fo....heeeey, how did you know I cheat on my boyfriend?

HOUSE: You've got cocoa butter under your fingernails and that can only mean one thing, plus you've been here for three STD tests in three months. By the way, you have a stomach ulcer. I'll write you a prescription, you slut.

PATIENT: You're a real dick, Dr. House. See you next month.

(WILSON enters)

WILSON: House, we need you up in oncology. Cancer patient presented with shortness of breath and fecal blood.

HOUSE: But I was having such fun down here.

(SCENE: Interior of diagnostic conference room. HOUSE and the team have gathered.)

HOUSE: Differential diagnosis, differential diagnosis, god, I love saying that. What you got, people?

FOREMAN: It's not meningitis, since patient has no fever.

THIRTEEN: It's not athlete's foot, since . . .

HOUSE: We could be doing this all day. Any ideas on what it is?

(TEAM shrugs en masse.)

HOUSE: Did you notice the patient wears his hair in a ponytail that was pulled too tight? The skin exerts pressure on the cranium, causing a slow trauma porphyria in the upper hippocampus. We'll need to operate immediately.

CUDDY: We should run some tests first. If we operate and it turns out to be acute pulmonary disease, we could lose the patient.

HOUSE: So? Patient gets to heaven that much sooner -- isn't that what you superstitious voodoo children all want anyway? THERE IS NO GOD. Now where's my Vicodin? We'll operate anyway, got it? Otherwise, there won't be a moment of conflict while we go to a commercial.

(Three stoners in pirate hats appear.)

CURLY HAIRED STONER: My bad credit landed me at a Ren Faire. Go figure that out, while I mug for the camera.

(We're back in the conference room.)

WILSON: Way to go, House. We operated, and now the patient's dying.

HOUSE: But did you see how big his teeth were? I can now deduce he's got hypercalcemia, which is why the surgery didn't work the first time. We're going back in, but this time, we'll do something different -- writers, come up with some mumbo jumbo for my speech here.

WILSON: I don't think you're supposed to say that out loud.

HOUSE: Shut up, Wilson. I only keep you around because you suck at poker.

(Operating room. Dramatic music stolen from Fear Factor.)

PATIENT: Wow, thanks for healing me, doctor. I was unconscious the whole time, but I have this unshakeable feeling you're a real dick.

(HOUSE returns to his office, and takes some more pills.)

...now how's THAT for a thread hijack.

Brilliant. :laughing:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Not really: I have a knack for capturing a brilliant but acerbic character. Can't imagine why, though. :rolleyes:

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's not just Obama. It's Geithner. It's Pelosi. It's Frank. Bernanke. Pretty much anyone who has a say has no idea what they're doing, it's pretty obvious at this point. Let's solve inflation with inflation! Let's leverage these banks who are in trouble because they were so fuckin leveraged in the first place! Another $1-2 TRILLION!!??!?!? No thanks, let these piece of shit banks fail and allow capitalism to do it's work.

:biggthumpup2: + eleventy billion

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Obama watched by 37 million viewer, more then American Idol , I wonder how many people would have watched American Idol if it was on 8 to 10 stations at the same time. There are supposedly 30 million people that depend on Over the Air transmissions and there was absolutely nothing else but Obama on that night. This fact doesn seem to carry to much weight.