What oes a Shadow weight?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Sometime around 1908 physicists concluded on the weight of light. Can't remember what that weight was and if it's been revised. But I often worry about my shadow. I never pay it enough attention. But it still sticks around to keep me company and seems to like me. So, I wonder how much it weights.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Sometime around 1908 physicists concluded on the weight of light. Can't remember what that weight was and if it's been revised. But I often worry about my shadow. I never pay it enough attention. But it still sticks around to keep me company and seems to like me. So, I wonder how much it weights.

Acerbic acid can reduce swelling when mixed with melon juice.

Yes, according to our friends at Wiki answers the answer is simple regarding shadow weight.

"Because photons have mass, they also have weight.

Given the particular size and shape of a shadow at any given instant of time, and comparing the quantity of photons striking the same surface with the same dimensions as the shadow with the photons striking the area of the shadow, the weight of the shadow would be in the negative relative to the area affected by direct light. Using scientific standards for the weight of a photon, the weight of the shadow can be calculated for any portion of time given for the measurements of the examination."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_weight_of_a_shadow

I wonder if they weigh different amts. between shadow boxing & shadow dancing and are dragon shadow puppets heavier than fundamentalist preacher shadow puppets?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
First part edited.

I wonder if they weigh different amts. between shadow boxing & shadow dancing and are dragon shadow puppets heavier than fundamentalist preacher shadow puppets?

This is profoundly ineresting, a bit frightening, and will probably cause me to lose sleep. But I now wonder the same, too.

Last edited:

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"only the Shadow knows" ........... sorry couldn't help myself ;P

Yadabla

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I especially like it at night when I have multiple shadows; I think of them as my posse.

xD I lol'ed. But yeah, that's an interesting question - never really thought of it. But I guess that photons must have weight, because they have mass. So, it has to do with that.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
... But I guess that photons must have weight, because they have mass. So, it has to do with that.

But this shadow weight thing is more complicated still. A photon has no rest mass. It only has relativistic mass due to its velocity. This casts a shadow over the speculation on the weight of a shadow.

I think this means that a shadow only has weight if it is moving really fast.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
But this shadow weight thing is more complicated still. A photon has no rest mass. It only has relativistic mass due to its velocity. This casts a shadow over the speculation on the weight of a shadow.

I think this means that a shadow only has weight if it is moving really fast.
Isn't this true of all particulate "matter"?

Isn't everything just energy in motion when you get right down to it?

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I especially like it at night when I have multiple shadows; I think of them as my posse.

I lol'ed too.

That is a great way to think about it.

That process could work for some of the more "dependent" atheists: You don't like the feeling of their not being a God? Well you're not alone, your shadow will almost always be with you, except around lunch time.

Aside from that yeah, the darker it is the lighter, but since your shadow changes so often it would be hard to say how much it weighs.

If you could get a way to measure it's weight then you could probably so some patterning and find some mediums and such.