novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
rawbone8 said:
Mac OSX 10.3 on a G4, and OSX 10.4 on a new Macbook
Wait, if YOU are on a Mac and voted, and *I* am on a Mac and voted, why's there only ONE Mac vote?
MacOS 8.6 - PowerBook - runs backups
MacOS 9.2.2 - PowerBook G3 - P2P server
Mac OSX 10.3 - PowerBook TiBook - volunteer work
Mac OSX 10.4 - PowerBook G4 - on it now
Mac OSX 10.4 - Quad G5 - work

WinXP - Some random Dell laptop - for ONE non-Mac program (ICUii) I run :mad:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
rawbone8 said:
Mac OSX 10.3 on a G4, and OSX 10.4 on a new Macbook
Oh, maybe I should ask what type of computer too ? It would make a difference whether or not you have an Intel/AMD that came prebuilt by say Dell, HP/Compaq and the like. Or in your cases, Apple computers.

I have a G4 Powerbook, so obviously it runs OS X, but my other systems are component builds from parts. I run Windows XP on those, but as of June 01, 2006 I have been running/dual booting Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Linux. Open Source is my choice from here on out, 110 days Windows and OS X free, I've never been happier with my computers.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

All software applications are free thru Ubuntu's repository. Some of it compares quite favorably to the software we all wind up purchasing for Windows or OS X.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
novice_btm said:
Wait, if YOU are on a Mac and voted, and *I* am on a Mac and voted, why's there only ONE Mac vote?
MacOS 8.6 - PowerBook - runs backups
MacOS 9.2.2 - PowerBook G3 - P2P server
Mac OSX 10.3 - PowerBook TiBook - volunteer work
Mac OSX 10.4 - PowerBook G4 - on it now
Mac OSX 10.4 - Quad G5 - work

WinXP - Some random Dell laptop - for ONE non-Mac program (ICUii) I run :mad:

I see your vote and there are two for OS X.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Windows 98. I don't like it much; but in my field MS is just about the only game in town. Machine is an old parts-built klunker I put together eight years ago and never felt motivated to update the OS.

92.1% and 93.5% of visitors to my two biggest web sites are running Windows of one sort or another, 4.9% and 5.1% are Mac, 0% to 1% are Linux. For better or worse, that war's just about over.

FireFox has about 30% of the market for my visitors, and the rest are IE; others are negligible.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BronxBombshell said:
Why is this poll public?

So you can see your vote. It's not really top secret stuff. I'm just curious to see what people use. I'd say with 90+ % of the market share that Windows has, it doesn't pan out this way for those who voted here. Then again, OS X should see an increase in usage, by moving to X86 architecture. I was sincerely interested in seeing what Linux users there were. I'm at a the crossroads personally, with Vista and Office 2007 coming out, do I continue to allow MS to force me to upgrade and buy their products, or will I consider Apple products as the alternative and be able to run both OS X and Windows. There's always Linux. And it's picking up points in my book. It's very close to what the others do and virtually every application is free on top of an OS that is free. I don't know about any of the rest of you, but Windows is going to require several hundreds and maybe even thousands of dollars to upgrade software you should already have by now. I see no point in that. OS X, at the base level of the OS is a cheaper alternative, but it will break applications down the road when Leopeard comes out after Tiger. Linux, if it breaks anything at all, will have free versions for the next OS version.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Tired of seeing support falling away from my HP Windows ME like Rose and Jack falling from the Titanic, I finally upgraded to a new Dell with XP Home last week. I'm a cheapskate so I started with the base $298 model and added only what interests me (total $416.)

My browser is Opera, although I keep Firefox and IE updated just in case.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
1)Mac G-5 running OS-X (audio applications)
1)server (self-built) running MS Win2K (all multimedia, security and home control)
4)desktops (self-built) running Win XP (1 is dedicated to studio use) (1 is running XP 64-bit)
4)notebooks running Win XP

None of which have ever crashed or malfunctioned.:tongue:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Windows Server 2003 Standard
Windows XP Pro

5 Dell Servers
7 Dell Workstations
3 Dell Laptops

SonicWall TZ170 Routers

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Laptop (an iBook): Mac Tiger 10.3 (I think that's the version). Will also add Firefox, because the Mac brower is not compatible with the wireless system in my favourite coffeeshop.

Desktop (a P4 Compaq): Windows XP Pro.