What percent of married guys wear wedding rings?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Feb 14, 2011.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

Do most guys agree to wear a wedding ring when they are married? What percent would you say wear wedding bands?

I think in America it is at least 50%, much more common now than in the past I think. My dad didn't wear a wedding ring neither did most of the dads in my neighborhood growing up.

2. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    Every married man I know or have ever known wears or wore a wedding ring. Of course, if he was married and didn't wear a ring, I'd never know if he was married, would I?

3. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I thought most married men wear wedding rings. The last time I remember seeing a man I knew was married not wearing a wedding ring was a teacher I had. He told us he had lost about 100 lbs and it no longer fit. I always wondered why he didn't get the old one sized down. I thought it was weird that he just didn't wear one.

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

In the UK, I would say that there is an age difference. A lot of guys over say 55 don't wear a ring, whilst I would say that most under 55 do.

I don't tend to look though, as their ball and chain is far more obvious :rolleyes:

5. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    50% may be right, I wore a band with half the women I married. My dad had a ring when married to my mom after she died & he remarried he didn't have a ring.

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

When The Squeeze proposed, he actually got down on one knee and presented me with an engagement-slash-wedding band. It was 22 carat gold. Fortunately it did not fit. Ya gotta appreciate the old-fashioned romantic moment. But I do not wear jewelry of any kind. Ever since I saw my grandfather jump down from a farm wagon, catching his wedding band on a rusty bolt and stripping off all of the flesh -- down to the bone. We wrapped his fleshless finger in a greasy rag, took him to the local hospital, and watched our GP cut off his finger and tie up the end with an interesting folded stitch.

Nope. No wedding bands for me.

I did, however have my nipples pierced in the early 70s and wore tiny gold safety pins through the nipples for about three or four days, until I finally became too fucking annoyed that everyone thought they were an invitation to twist my tits. Not fun.

However, I've sometimes thought a tiara might be nice.

7. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

I've always been terrified that nipple piercings would accidentally catch on something and get ripped out. So while the safety pins sound sexy, the idea as a whole makes me shudder.

8. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Here you go.

Attached Files:

9. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I wear mine when I remember to put it on. It's not that I don't have regard for it or am trying scam anyone that I'm single; I take it off when I cook and it's usually swimming in the soap dish in the kitchen.

10. midlifebear

Gold Member

While I appreciate the sentiment . . . I really, really do . . . it's just not big enough. Plus I was kind of hoping for a diamond studded Prince Albert.

11. Beaker44

Beaker44 New Member

Albums:
    Sometimes it depends on the work the man does. If he is a manual labourer he may NOT wear a ring while at work but if he is going out and has to dress up he may wear it. My father never had a ring until their Ruby anniversary, when my mother gave him one as a gift. He then DID get a wedding band after that. In my fathers days (married in the 40's) the male bands were rather wide things while nowadays they have been trimmed down quite a bit making them not as bulky to wear.

12. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Yeah, you do! That is so sweet. :smile:

I would not have been upset or felt like I was missing out on anything if he had not gone down on one knee, especially since I already knew that he was going to ask me, but when he went down on one knee, it's hard to describe the effect it had on me. When he did it, I felt incredible and I blushed and teared up and I knew that I never wanted to forget that moment.

TheBF is always getting irritated at me because I forget to put them on before I leave the house. I think it might make him feel self-conscious for me to be seen with the baby and without a ring on my finger, and he won't admit it to me, but it doesn't embarrass me. If someone looks at me and judges me when they don't know anything about me, that is his problem. Like you, it's not because I don't have any regard for it or because I'm trying to scam anyone. There's so many things to remember and do just to get out of the house, I forget things all the time! I don't wear it every day because I'm afraid I'll cut the baby's face with the ring and once when I wasn't looking he started sucking on it, which grossed me out. There's no telling how much yuckiness is embedded in it. :eek:

13. D_Plenty OToole

D_Plenty OToole New Member

I used to wear mine, but I started taking it off to sleep. In the summer my finger would get irritated from the metal on my sweaty finger. I would take it off at night to let my skin dry off. One night my cat knocked it on the floor and lost it. I looked for it many times and could not find it. I always thought that when we moved, it would turn up; but not so. We moved about a year ago, and I spent 2 hours looking everywhere in the house with a flashlight, but to no avail. It is a mystery. I never replaced it because a new one wouldn't really have any meaning for me. To tell the truth, I never liked it. When we were buying the rings, I wanted to get sleeker looking rings, but the guy at the store talked my wife into going more traditional. His argument was that when we got older we wouldn't want "cool" looking rings. This of course didn't stop us from getting tattoos that cover half our arm for a fifth wedding anniversary. So fuck that ring guy.

Anyway, I never liked it, so I'm glad I don't have to wear it. But I am a little sad that it is lost, because it had meaning for me.

14. borntobeking

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I just keep mine on all of the time. Whether I'm cleaning, in the shower, working wherever. When I was first married I remember acidentally leaving it home when I went to work one day and I felt self conscience the whole day. I used to take it off to sleep. Since then I just make a point of never taking it off.

Of course if I am going to be doing some form of extreme manual labor without work gloves I will remove it but that does not happen often.

15. earllogjam

Gold Member

If a wedding ring is a symbol of fidelity it's surprising how many married men keep it on while having sex with other guys.

16. Beaker44

Beaker44 New Member

Albums:
    I too lost my initial band shortly after getting married. The gal in the jewellry store said I should get it a tad larger as the fingers usually swell up on the big day. I have barge knuckles and even the larger one was tight getting on at the ceremony. However, a few months later, at a friends stag my fingers by then had shrunk from the 'big day' I returned home (stone cold sober I migh add) but the band did not return with me. :eek: We DID go to another jewellry store and were able to get a replacement ring the same as the initial one. This time we didn't get it the same size, but a size smaller. Still tight to go over the knuckle but least it stays on.

Draft saved Draft deleted