What percent of people are datable?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Jovial, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jerry had this debate with Elaine on Seinfeld:

Elaine- "So what percentage of the population would you refer as datable?
    Jerry - i´d say.... 6%!
    Elaine - No way, there´s gotta be about 25%.
    Jerry - I say 6%!
    Elaine - So... the rest is undatable?
    Jerry - UNDATABLE!!!!
    Elaine - So how come there´s so many marriages?
    Jerry - Alcohol...

It's probably better to only consider people in a certain age range. But is it like 6% or 25%?

2. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

Well i know i wouldnt date 1/4 of the men i meet so id have to say 6% would be more realistic. And in saying that i dont feel so bad for still being single and datless

3. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jerry's gotta be closer than Elaine.

4. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    Are we talking about the entire population, or only the relevant gender (for those of us who are straight or gay)?

If you're talking the entire population, then 50 percent are undatable right off the bat for those of us who aren't bisexual ... in which case 25 percent would almost certainly be too high.

This is all a red herring, though. Either way, I think it's closer to 6 than 25 percent. :smile:

Steve

5. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd say most people are dateable, but the percentage of people you'd date more frequently does go downhill....

6. voyeuristic

voyeuristic New Member

Albums:
    "datable" as in, they can get dates, or as in "I personally want to date them"? If it's the latter, I'd say that the figure is around .00000000001% for me. I'm pretty picky.

7. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

It depends upon your opinion of yourself.

If you are pretty average, a little overweight, a mediocre job and income... and if you have an ACCURATE self appraisal of what you bring to the table... then you probably find MOST people datable.

If you are drop dead gorgeous or handsome, built, and with a terrific career and income... then you probably are far more choosy because you are bringing enough to the table to be able to demand something special in exchange.

Where folks go wrong is when they are Average or below average, and yet imagine they can demand somehting far above average in a potential mate...
    The folks who end up alone are those who never find someone "good enough" because what they consider good enough is so far out of their league that they never actually get to date one.

A study was done of personal ads... 25 year old childless women who felt they had nice figures always demand a LOT of any potential date...
    30 something women with a kid or two in tow had far less demanding lists of criteria that men must meet...
    By the time they are in their late forties, women's personals seem far more willing to entertain a much smaller or even partial list of attributes...

And men's personals are the same... the more the guy earns, the longer the list of potential traits he expects a woman to have...
    by 50, most men's personals show they are willing to date just about any woman...

So the key is to figure out what you are worth... and look for someone who offers a FAIR trade.

Love, like anything else, is an economy.
    You get what you can afford.

8. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

PS- and, men... when it comes to women, you having a hot bod or big dick is NOT bringing much to the table.
    Women may certainly like those things... but that's not their primary criteria for a long term relationship.
    Good looking losers may be fun for a night... but they are not husband material.

Guys, if you want a hotter woman, get a hotter job.

9. Principessa

Gold Member

My heart wants to say 25%; but my brain says less than 6%.
    Probably closer to 4% of the population is datable. The rest are pretty much damaged goods. :frown1:

10. D_Petherick_Poundlouder

Hmm....Im thinking in terms of deserving of one date, and I'd have to say, with so little experience in comparison to posters older than me it'd be something like 10% so far. I think with time that'll only drop down to something like 1% lol.

11. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    My Opinion- about 2% of men are dateable. I'm picky.
    But when it comes to women... say 15 to 20%.

But I'm basing that only only physical appearance. If I lined up 100 random women under the age of 40, I think there'd be 15 that would have enough attractiveness for me to consider asking them out. Over 40 years old, the percentages would go down, but I'm not ruling them out altogether.

Wait a sec... That's if I was in Europe. In America or England those percentages would go down because there are too many fat people.

12. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

25% is 1 out of every 4 people you meet.

On personal notes, we all have out quirks about what constitutes a datable partner (oh, you know... little things... some people are hung up on gender...some people are hung up on age and weight... intelligence.... dick/tit size...religion & politics... etc etc)

I think I am on fairly solid ground when I say that 1 out of every 4 people you see in the street or mall, say, are nowhere near personally datable.

But, as optimists like to say. "there's someone out there for everybody!" -- which, theoretically, means that 100% of the population is "datable" in the larger scheme, the Big Picture.

13. D_Petherick_Poundlouder

Haha, thats horrible and true.

14. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

I don't think it's about percentages. It's more about who I'm attracted to and who are attracted to me. That's a much different criteria. There are way too many variables among people to be able to say anything much about a random bunch of peeps.

To put it another way: if there are 50 peeps who are intelligent, attractive to me (not just to everyone), have good communications skills, are warm and sensual, are open-minded and self-aware, then the number of people of that group I'd be interested in would go way up. Get it? If the opposite were true, I wouldn't be interested in any of them.

15. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    I should clarify my earlier post.

I think there's someone for everyone. But i think everyone's pretty picky. Even my gorgeous homegirl who can't choose someone who won't hit her if her life depends on it (and indeed it does) is very picky. But we all have different criteria. Sometimes that's realistic, sometimes that's not. I don't think I know anyone who would date anywhere near 1/4 of the people they encounter. I think the whole population can be dated, but that each member of the population would date only a very small (though not necessarily overlapping) percentage of the rest of the population.

16. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's one in 10 trillion! :tongue:

17. yayme

yayme New Member

I'm predicting around .1%. Let's see...3-6 percent of men are gay, then I have to weed out the unattractive guys and those with horrible personalities (narcissistic, borderline, dominating), and tools. This leaves me with a very small percentage of gay men who I can date.

18. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    VERY well said, Phil!

19. Principessa

Gold Member

20. Amber1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Obviously I am not a gay man...but I totally agree with what is written above about weeding out the horrible personalities (basically controlling bastards/bitches) then I'd like someone quite good looking and yeah it becomes difficult. Then I need someone tall.... If they don't like children they can FUCK OFF!!! Lol...
    Oh and they have to be about 6ft because I'm 5ft8 and I like to wear heels....so it cant be a very big percentage really can it?? Well I don't think so!!

Draft saved Draft deleted