What percentage of the gay community would you say is "feminine"

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wouldn't say any gay men are feminine. Some do feminine-stereotyped things, but in my estimation you kind of have to have some combination of a vagina and boobs or whatever to be feminine.

I mean I do some stereotypically feminine things (not quite singing along to Whitney;) but I also do a lot of stereotypically masculine things, too.

psguy64

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's only a number, guess I need a definition as here in PS I've sat,
and danced, and drank, and had breakfast/lunch/dinner with the
most masculine in appearance including bodybuilders - yet
when their mouths opens 'a purse falls out'.

hockeysweat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What about a bearded hockey player who loves camping, farting, and singing along with Miss Barbra Streisand?

dylz

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
i dont think this is an offensive question. it would seem femininity and androgyny are more common in homosexual males than in heterosexual males, though how common i probably couldnt guess. i do think that people tend to overlook femininity among straight men though, since they dont have the stereotype attached to them.

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would guess it is a smaller percentage than our media would lead us to believe. Most gay men portrayed in movies/TV shows are silk scarf wearing, limp-wristed, drama queens like in the movie "The Birdcage." When I lived in San Francisco, this type of gay guy was here and there but the majority were regular men with regular jobs and no silk scarves. More in touch with their feminine side, to be sure, but not exactly feminine. Couldn't give you a number, but definitely less than 20%; however, that has only been my observation.

Interestingly enough, I was watching the movie "The Rock" the other day..a balls-to-the-wall thriller with Nick Cage and Sean Connery. Very masculine movie. The one gay guy was a femmy hairdresser. Go figure!

Last edited:

mthomson2020

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The only really fem gays are the ones that do things like dump glitter on politicians.

Gives gays a bad rap.

Most society-adjusted gays are fairly normal. It's the ones that feel they have to go out and prove things instead of just living a normal life being gay that give the gay community as a whole a bad name.

RoyalDem

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's all a continuum

The coming out process for me was about being as loud as possible after feeling so guilty and wrong... then I realised no one cared.

I have no issue of genuine 'camp' qualities but think everyone shoudl be given that space when coming out.

BTW, What about bisexual guys / M2F or F2M Trans ? Why is this exclusively gay men ?

and in what country/culture ? I have a feeling gay men in Iran butch up!

Metrosexuality is also pretty common in most continental European nations which, an American, may classify as feminine.

How many straight guys are overly masculine pea brains ?

hockeysweat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The only really fem gays are the ones that do things like dump glitter on politicians.

Gives gays a bad rap.

Most society-adjusted gays are fairly normal. It's the ones that feel they have to go out and prove things instead of just living a normal life being gay that give the gay community as a whole a bad name.

Why do femmy guys give us a bad name? Aren't they entitled to be who they are - or do you really think each and every lisping, limp-wristed gay dude is secretly butch inside, but 'out to prove something?' What is it exactly, do you suppose, they're trying to prove? Who cares about 'normal?'

Seems to me that you're the one with something to prove if there's no room in your heart for men all across the masc-fem spectrum.

(Not to say that anyone is required to be attracted to mincing, effeminate queers. I merely request that we accept them as brothers).

Last edited:

Brick7

Expert Member
Media
The dark conservative heart of Central California
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Gives gays a bad rap.

I don't know whether this is more offensive than the original question.
You would do well to know your gay history. It was the men in drag at Stonewall that stood up (on their high heels) and said "enough is enough" to the cops. Those "fem guys" started the gay rights movement.
There's a reason why the symbol of the gay community is the rainbow. And there's no such thing as a "normal" gay, either. Perhaps you mean "straight-acting" as if that should be the gold standard of gay behavior. Really? Think again.

mandoman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I find that I am constantly surprised by who is gay, and who is not.
The people I think are gay turn out to be straight, and vice versa.
The people who really are straight are looking for guys to jerk with, and the gay guys are attracted to a nice pair of jiggly boobs.
I am beginning to think we are who we are, by the minute.

bithebi

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I wouldn't say any gay men are feminine. Some do feminine-stereotyped things, but in my estimation you kind of have to have some combination of a vagina and boobs or whatever to be feminine
No, sorry.