What REALLY makes a man "a man" ?

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
Folks, around here-----do we even dare to ask this and hope to get a serious response?

Somehow, I just feel the need to give it a try.

I'm reminded from recent dialogues in several threads that among our members measuring at average or less, that there obviously remains much debate over penis size and whether size truly "makes the man". For many men, it seems they will never be convinced otherwise. --Exactly why is that? Granted, some of these insecurity issues originate from eary life. But indeed, has our modern day culture contributed even further to the inability for many of us to feel good about ourselves? Admittedly, it really is hard to"tune out" some of today's influences which so easily steer our thought processes--particularly on one's self esteem issues. It's equally hard to stay away from this forum. It "sustains" (?) many of us ;D from day to day.
--- (Isn't THAT a scary thought!)

We each have our own ideas, of course. Many (myself included) will try to convey here that there are other qualities about being a man much more important than merely "how we measure up". I sincerely believe this and yet---"size is important" in so many ways to us psychologically as men. It's really difficult around this forum to convey any notion except that "size DOES matter". Every thread and the various responses which follow all eventually seem to "play up the world of the large" in a very positive way. Isn't this true? Many of us larger men will inevitably come across if not directly, then almost indirectly as "bragging" or "boasting" (even though we may never have intended to). I would sure hate to become paranoid in my responses (i.e. of hurting someones' feelings).

How then, can we ever define what REALLY "makes a man" beyond penis size around here? What average size fella (or below average) will EVER feel better about himself given what we all keep reading about here from day to day? ??? Or, for that matter--what we keep seeing, hearing, and experiencing in the real world and not just here in the virtual?

Comments?

(be nice to hear from BOTH men and women on this one)

ORCABOMBER: Seems we're all just "images" based on the ideal of what being a man is, I mean, is a short fat man with a small dick, more "manly" than a buff man with a small dick? Is it our jobs, our attitude?

Sticking with dicks, it's a symbol almost, we'd feel worse if we had ours smaller, it's a part of us and an icon.

In my case, it's a "hidden icon", but the idea's the same.

hung: Tender - The Link you provided is indeed very powerful and certainly answers the question.

While many shared their experiences and answers it can really be stated that those who are able to rise to the situation and excell with what they have been able to achieve or take their lot in life and still excell are the men.

I appreciated the opportunity to read all the post in the link and appreciate each and every one here on LPSG. It certainly proves that there is more to being a man than the appendage between his legs.

We can all look at each other with pride. This site and the link certainly proves it.

Thanks.

mekkler: consideration, maturity, personal responsibility

HungryNPalmSprings: "Respect for self, respect for others, and responsibility for all one's actions."
That's what makes a man a man.

heavynuttz

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=HungryNPalmSprings link=board=meetgreet;num=1080624653;start=0#5 date=03/30/04 at 11:56:31]"Respect for self, respect for others, and responsibility for all one's actions."  
That's what makes a man a man.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, I think a lot of men buy into the idea that they have to be a BRUTE, HYPERMASCULINE or HUNG LIKE A HORSE in order to be considered a "real man". If you are a guy who is kind, caring and considerate, in many instances one is considered less of man,(WEAK, GAY, or both) I think that is very unfortunate. And its even more complicated, I feel, depending on ones culture, if you are a man of color, you almost have to act as thug to be considered a "real man, again its unfortunate, people should define who they are as a person, and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks,not buying into stupid stereotypes!

wvalady1968: [quote author=Pecker link=board=meetgreet;num=1080624653;start=0#7 date=03/30/04 at 14:12:29]empathy[/quote]
Have I told you lately that I love you?

wvalady1968: [quote author=palladen link=board=meetgreet;num=1080624653;start=0#8 date=03/30/04 at 14:17:39]Patience, humility.[/quote]
And you, too.

wvalady1968: [quote author=Pecker link=board=meetgreet;num=1080624653;start=0#7 date=03/30/04 at 14:12:29]empathy[/quote]
I would ask if I could have your children, but I'm afraid you'd send them to me.
:p

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Bodily attributes are not what makes "a man" in the sense we're talking about. It's about what's inside, not the exterior. Manly traits include accepting responsibility, standing up for what he believes, the willingness to protect what or whom he cares about, and refusing to stop and ask directions when he gets lost.

wvalady1968: Jacinto, I was reading that and thinking how sane and intelligent you always are. And then that last bit proved to me how smart you are.

:D

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=wvalady1968 link=board=meetgreet;num=1080624653;start=0#14 date=03/30/04 at 18:23:22]And then that last bit proved to me how smart you are. [/quote]

Try telling me it's not true. We know better!

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Penis size has nothing to do with what a person is.

That being said, why don't we ask the question: What makes someone a real "Human"?

Why must we always concentrate on stereotypical ideas about men and women? Why must we always seperate us into different groups?

The only thing I can think about that makes a man a "man" is a "Y" chromosome. If you don't have one, then you are female or have a genetic disease. And if you have two "Y"'s then you are what called a "super"male i think, i forget the actual term. Its not super though because it causes a whole slew of problems.

dfox7.3x5: DoubleMeat, you're right on. Seriously. But I wasn't able to post this until I got directions... :D

Tender: speaking of men...

it SO struck me as I was reading... :)

Billy Zane... (dreamy sigh) as I was recently watching Cleopatra...
I uh became twitterpaited...
;)

Tender

View_From_Below: [quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=meetgreet;num=1080624653;start=0#13 date=03/30/04 at 17:44:53]Bodily attributes are not what makes "a man" in the sense we're talking about. It's about what's inside, not the exterior. Manly traits include accepting responsibility, standing up for what he believes, the willingness to protect what or whom he cares about, and refusing to stop and ask directions when he gets lost.  [/quote]

I wonder if this discussion couldn't profit from having some additional adjectives to apply. Jacinto's proposition above, that a "man" is someone who accepts responsibility, stands up for what he believes, and is willing to protect what or whom he cares about, could in fact describe a mob boss. So one question would be....would we agree that such a guy is an admirable "man," as we're discussing it? Or maybe there is a moral component to being a "man"? Is a principled bad guy a "man"?

In other ways too, I wonder if it would be useful to have a couple of additional adjectives to apply to help make distinctions. I think we probably do factor in physicality to some degree in our definitions.

The guy who is basically responsible, caring, etc in his dealings with others, but perhaps very feminine in his mannerisms, or inattentive to his weight, or ungifted in terms of his looks/endowment/sexual attractiveness --and the guy who is basically responsible, caring, etc in his dealings with others, but is good-looking, hung, has the "right" carriage and gait and mannerisms --- these two guys might be equally "manly" as we have been using the term up to now...but what adjective(s) would we use to distinguish them? Because we surely do distinguish between them in some kind of "man-traits" way. Are they equally manly but one is more "masculine"? more "macho"? more "sexy"?

Just some thoughts on giving us a little more texture in a very interesting question.

VFB