What Runs in Your Family?

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well since you are nothing like them, perhaps you are adopted. As a child I used to fantasize that I had been switched at birth because I am so very different from everyone on both sides of my family.:redface:
I get scolded for entertaining this idea. I've got my fingers crossed in the hopes that it's true, but sadly, I think it's just a pipe dream.:tongue:

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Being adopted isn't all that awesome, believe me.

Case in point? I can barely answer the original question to this thread besides very vague things.

Depression/anxiety, skinnyness, asthma, green-eyes (the boys anyway), premature greying, mimickry, big knobs (except for me, oddly), immaturity, artistic ability (that skipped me, too), swearing (leaped from grandparents to me), academic ability - but incompetence in everday life, lol; erm...dunno what else?

Last edited by a moderator:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In my family, it's leukemia, prostate cancer, going to medical school and being a republican, I'm thinking maybe I'm adopted and they forgot to tell me.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
High blood pressure. Almost all of my siblings have it, including me. I have one brother who used to run the Boston Marathon every year and only eats healthy food. And his BP is worse than mine, go figure.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually like a weather report...
"With a slight chance of " :eek:mfg: OH NO, WHAT KIND OF SAW MOVIE SEQUEL DID I JUST GET ON BOARD WITH?"

:eek:

:rofl: Chicken! :tongue: See It's just as I thought, even you, an intelligent, accomplished black man, can't handle a strong black woman like myself. :lmao: :biggrin1:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
:rofl: Chicken! :tongue: See It's just as I thought, even you, an intelligent, accomplished black man, can't handle a strong black woman like myself. :lmao: :biggrin1:

Yeah, you would say that. You assume that I like chick'n. <light sarcasm>How racist. :rolleyes: You racially profiled me.:rolleyes: </light sarcasm>

(I like chick'n. But HELL NO TO WATERMELON AND SYNTHETIC SHASTA GRAPE SODA. I will drink up some Welch's Sparkling Grape Juice though...no I am not an upper crust black guy either.)

:shhh: (whispers...) I can handle strong black women...but can they handle me?!! :rolleyes:

Invisi=>:eek:uttahere: <=Strong black women with boxcutters, cement blocks and butterfly knives.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

Spontaneous combustion, I have to put out a family member at least once a week. also
Homicidal rages, WHAT DID YOU SAY???

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am not convinced that substance abuse (despite whatever A.A. says), hypertension, insomnia, bulemia and ADD are passed on via DNA.

Suddenly, almost everything is being blamed on (and categorized as) heredity (and often as a "disease").

Kind of like how they're saying that our entire personalities are "hard wired at birth". :mad: However, I do think a lot of diseases do appear to be hereditary.

Having children rums in the family, if you have children there is a good chance that your parents did too and probably your grand parents as well

I've heard this one as "Having kids is hereditary... If your parents didn't have any, chances are you won't have any, either". :biggrin1:

Epilepsy, gall stones, arthritis, kidney and intestinal problems, depression blond hair/blue eyes (I'm quite the black sheep), calm and relaxed behaviour from my mom's side, explosive, short-fused anger on my dad's, and a bit of crazy on both sides.

Forgot the gall stones in my previous post on this topic! My dad had gall stones... and I didn't escape that one, either - One of the illnesses I had in 2003 (the less serious one!) was gall stones. My surgery for it was a lot less intrusive than when my dad had his (he had his before they developed laproscopic-sp? - gall bladder surgery.)

If you can say that any behaviors are hereditary (I think most of them are not hard wired, but can be due to environmental influences from who you are around the most in childhood), I seem to have "inherited" my dad's lack of patience. Too bad I didn't also inherit his competence in pretty much everything he's ever done. I seem to FAIL at most things I try to do. I think most of that is also environmental influences. But that doesn't mean that they're easily shaken, even if it is due to environmental influences. If you're brought up thinking you're not any good at most things, it's hard to get over that. And I really don't blame my parents for this - they're much less to blame than the other people I was around as a kid.