what should i do? i really have no idea...

GoldenMercury2002

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So my mom overdosed today and it was one of the most tramatic experiences in my life. I know that she needs help but I don't know how to go about doing so. Does anyone have a similar story preferably a success I need some positive reforcement right now. i know im putting this on forum but i came here once before for advice and it was great advice. thanks

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
So my mom overdosed today and it was one of the most tramatic experiences in my life. I know that she needs help but I don't know how to go about doing so. Does anyone have a similar story preferably a success I need some positive reforcement right now. i know im putting this on forum but i came here once before for advice and it was great advice. thanks

Not knowing your situation, where you live, ages, relationship, living arrangements, her situation, her history, etc. it's hard to give specific advice. Is this an ongoing substance abuse issue, or a onetime suicide attempt, or???

If I were you, rather than looking for advice here, I'd try to get professional medical help. Try to get her to undergo some kind of treatment or treatment program appropriate for her. Don't expect miracles right away, hopefully/eventually you/she may find a therapy or program that helps her conquer her using(?) and whatever underlying issues may be there.

But you have to start somewhere, and the sooner the better. Sometimes when a crisis is fresh, is the best time to make a change. Course she has to be willing. If not, do you have other family members, friends of hers etc. who would be willing to take part in an intervention?

Best of luck.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dude! What is wrong with the people at that hospital??! :261: :angryfire2: I'm assuming an ambulance was called and she was taken to the nearest ER. If so they should have taken care of that after pumping her stomach. She should have been immediately transferred to the psych ward for evaluation. Or, depending on what she took she should have been transferred, NOT referred, to a rehab to deal with a possible addiction problem.

You should not have been left alone to wonder what to do with or for her. :mad:

Yes, I am sorry to hear this happend, but I am more angry at a system that would leave a patient and their family hanging like this.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
accept that what she does isn't your fault or responsibility.

then look up a drug/mental health advisory service near you, call them and ask what support there is out there...church, charities, help lines, support groups, etc. this is far too heavy for you to carry on your own.

denton85

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Port Jefferson Station (New York, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Since your post lacked the needed information for a full informed advice, i'll say this. In many and most cases people who overdose come in a couple classifications. I'll assume it wasn't accidental. Because no advise other than "make sure she understands her medication." However i know a few people who have to make sure of such a thing with their own parents. So here goes.

1.) the kind that overdose because they want to.

This will sound harsh, but it's a mental health issue. She will need proper medication and counseling. But in the end. When all is said and done; family who stick together during a time such as this come out stronger than ever.

I wont go into details but i've been in a similar situation. With the proper medication this can be helped greatly. Family support with medication is great. If you can afford the counseling as well, then it will help even more so.

2.) The kind that overdose from a drug addiction.

This is an addiction problem. Rehab and counseling is the best course of action. Support is also in this case important from family and friends as well.

I know this is hard. I know you may be scared, confused, and unsure of the path ahead of you. However i want you to understand that you are actually lucky to still have them with you.

The path in front of you is unpaved. You can set the stones as you wish.