What should JQBlonde's next brilliant and famous subject heading be?

What should JQBlonde's next brilliant and famous subject heading be?

• Why did Democrats kill so many Jews during the holocaust?

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • The positive side of global catastrophe: what the libtard media won't tell you!

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Why I'm right and every educated person in the world is wrong. Stated brilliantly and famously!

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Rosie O'Donnel: anti-christ? What every penis enthusiast should know before the rapture.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Dangerous flower shortage could impede Iranians' plans to greet an invading army as liberators.

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think I'd like to move to ban the cliche "strawman argument" from discussion. It's being completely overused and it's starting to chaffe me whenever I see it just like "you hit the nail on the head."

Guess you've never seen "The Wicker Man"?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A few things:

1). I'm down with banning the use of "strawman", I've been guilty of its overuse myself lately. In the corporate world, the word "paradigm" started making my ears bleed, that shit gets annoying fast.

2). The Wickerman is a great movie.

3) That is all.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think I'd like to move to ban the cliche "strawman argument" from discussion. It's being completely overused and it's starting to chaffe me whenever I see it just like "you hit the nail on the head."
I agree with you that the term is becoming a cliche, but not faster than the use of Straw Man techiques in the rhetoric of the far right. The Right seems to have only a handful of argument techniques (most of them dishonest) of which Straw Man is the one used most often.

Perhaps the term is misused by critics who don't understand its meaning. But it sure is necessary when debating someone like a science denier. In fact, the most famous Straw Man argument is the one where Creationists complain that the diversity of life on the planet "could not have evolved by chance." This Straw Man is essential to the definition of the Theory of Intelligent Design.

You can see how ingenious the technique is because everyone instinctively feels that it must be true. A good Straw Man argument is one that contains an element of truth, however, it leaves out one or more essential elements so as to be diversionary.

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I think a great example of a straw man argument is to :

1. Claim a certain poster is a global warming denier;
2. Proceed to debate THAT position, much much easier to do than the person's actual position ;
3. Then calim victory when that position is defeated.

Idn't that right <cough> 160IQ < derisive chortle> ??

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think a great example of a straw man argument is to :

1. Claim a certain poster is a global warming denier;
2. Proceed to debate THAT position, much much easier to do than the person's actual position ;
3. Then calim victory when that position is defeated.

Idn't that right <cough> 160IQ < derisive chortle> ??

You are not a GW denier?

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
well, sort of kind of, Kotchanski.

I was specifially referring to an effort similar to Kyoto. It has virtually zero chance of success.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You hit that strawman on the head, NIC. Will you still allow me to use nail arguments?

A troll, by any other name, is still a troll.
Typical lw. What moonbat lw blog did you get that from?

<chough> <snortle> <derisive snicker-doodle>