What should netflix reboot next??

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
I've been watching the Lost in Space reboot on Netflix. I think it's good. Not perfect. Not great. But good. Good enough that I wouldn't mind seeing Netflix reboot some other old, forgotten properties.

Personally, I would love to see a modern take on the Shadow. It would have to be very dark and violent, but has the potential to be very interesting if done right.

What about you guys? What would you like to see Netflix reboot?

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been watching the Lost in Space reboot on Netflix. I think it's good. Not perfect. Not great. But good. Good enough that I wouldn't mind seeing Netflix reboot some other old, forgotten properties.

Personally, I would love to see a modern take on the Shadow. It would have to be very dark and violent, but has the potential to be very interesting if done right.

What about you guys? What would you like to see Netflix reboot?

I enjoyed Lost in space, but like you, felt like it could've been better. In particular, I felt like Dr Smith's motivations were too random and it detracted from the rest of the show.

The problem I have with a lot of reboots is they take darker, more violent, and more serious as the answer for every reboot. The new Superman stuff is terrible. The Batman reboots aren't much better (and would be forgettable if not for Heath Ledger's Joker). I can't recall a "recent" reboot apart from Star Trek: the Next Generation which really embraced a similar or lighter tone than the original.

Reactions: ronin001

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
I enjoyed Lost in space, but like you, felt like it could've been better. In particular, I felt like Dr Smith's motivations were too random and it detracted from the rest of the show.

The problem I have with a lot of reboots is they take darker, more violent, and more serious as the answer for every reboot. The new Superman stuff is terrible. The Batman reboots aren't much better (and would be forgettable if not for Heath Ledger's Joker). I can't recall a "recent" reboot apart from Star Trek: the Next Generation which really embraced a similar or lighter tone than the original.

I agree that the new Superman stuff is terrible, but the Dark Knight trilogy was the best live action interpretation of Batman that we've gotten yet. It's not even really dark. They were very serious and perhaps even self serious, much like the comics, but I wouldn't consider them particularly dark.

For whatever reason, there has a been a cultural movement away from campy things. I don't think they have mass audience appeal anymore, or at least that is what studio heads think. That's why every reboot is so dark. Which is why they need to reboot something that was already dark! The Shadow is the perfect for that.

Reactions: keenobserver

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree that the new Superman stuff is terrible, but the Dark Knight trilogy was the best live action interpretation of Batman that we've gotten yet. It's not even really dark. They were very serious and perhaps even self serious, much like the comics, but I wouldn't consider them particularly dark.

"best live action interpretation" doesn't really say that much though, does it? All of the live action interpretations get blown out of the water by this animated one (which is fine)

I'm not saying Christopher Nolan's movies were bad, just that they were just forgettable. The most memorable thing about Bane is that he was impossible to understand :p I thought mask of the Phantasm had more impact than any of Nolan's (and I like Mark Hamill's joker as well as Heath Ledger's).

Reactions: ronin001

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
"best live action interpretation" doesn't really say that much though, does it? All of the live action interpretations get blown out of the water by this animated one (which is fine)

I'm not saying Christopher Nolan's movies were bad, just that they were just forgettable. The most memorable thing about Bane is that he was impossible to understand :p I thought mask of the Phantasm had more impact than any of Nolan's (and I like Mark Hamill's joker as well as Heath Ledger's).

Batman: TAS is a much better version of Batman than any of the live action ones, but they also had the benefit of being animated which allowed them to do things and tell stories that couldn't be done well in live action. It also benefited from being a TV series, because super heroes work better in a serialized or episodic format. That's part of why the Arrowverse is better received than the DCEU, IMO.

Mask of the Phantasm is great, but it's really only a long episode of the cartoon show. Which really works to its advantage for the reasons above.

In terms of the Nolanverse, I think the third one is forgettable but the first two are probably top five super hero movies and very good interpretations of the Batman character and mythos. I think it is interesting how people have kinda turned their backs on those movies in recent years.

So you don't have any old characters or franchises that you would ever want to see revisited?

Here's another one, Conan. Only done much closer to the old pulp novels.

Reactions: Hatt_101

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Batman: TAS is a much better version of Batman than any of the live action ones, but they also had the benefit of being animated which allowed them to do things and tell stories that couldn't be done well in live action. It also benefited from being a TV series, because super heroes work better in a serialized or episodic format. That's part of why the Arrowverse is better received than the DCEU, IMO.

Mask of the Phantasm is great, but it's really only a long episode of the cartoon show. Which really works to its advantage for the reasons above.

In terms of the Nolanverse, I think the third one is forgettable but the first two are probably top five super hero movies and very good interpretations of the Batman character and mythos. I think it is interesting how people have kinda turned their backs on those movies in recent years.

So you don't have any old characters or franchises that you would ever want to see revisited?

Here's another one, Conan. Only done much closer to the old pulp novels.

Animation works well for series that had their origin in comics, but it's not like Batman the Animated Series was over the top special effects showcase. The Emmy awards it won were largely for writing, music, and sound editing.

I have shows that got cancelled that I wish continued... My so called Life, Firefly, Miracles... I really enjoyed those shows and they had a ton of story left to tell. Taken too soon!

But reboots? it's a small bucket where something had a good concept and poor execution. If it was good concept with good execution then there's no reason to reboot it. Miracle on 34th street is a good example. The original 1947 one was perfect. It was re-made in 1955, 1973, and 1994, and none of the remakes hold a candle to the original..

It'd have to be something like Surface which had an interesting premise but turned stupid fast. Lost and Heroes both had strong starts and then went to shit too. But even then, I dunno that I'd vote for them to actually be rebooted. I'd rather get my next damn season of Firefly.

Reactions: keenobserver

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
Animation works well for series that had their origin in comics, but it's not like Batman the Animated Series was over the top special effects showcase. The Emmy awards it won were largely for writing, music, and sound editing.

I have shows that got cancelled that I wish continued... My so called Life, Firefly, Miracles... I really enjoyed those shows and they had a ton of story left to tell. Taken too soon!

But reboots? it's a small bucket where something had a good concept and poor execution. If it was good concept with good execution then there's no reason to reboot it. Miracle on 34th street is a good example. The original 1947 one was perfect. It was re-made in 1955, 1973, and 1994, and none of the remakes hold a candle to the original..

It'd have to be something like Surface which had an interesting premise but turned stupid fast. Lost and Heroes both had strong starts and then went to shit too. But even then, I dunno that I'd vote for them to actually be rebooted. I'd rather get my next damn season of Firefly.

It's not so much the visual spectacle, although I think that if BTAS was live action it would have required an insane SFX budget, but I mean the way your brain processes animation differently than live action. Things that look ridiculous in live action, can look amazing when they're animated. That was the greatest advantage that BTAS, and any animated show, has over live action stuff. They were able to gloss over the more ridiculous elements of Batman, just because they were animated.

Hatt_101

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don’t know if it’s netflix but the ReBoot reboot lol karma terrible and has nothing to do with the original.

Would have loved to see it with the current mourners we have today but now they made it terrible

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don’t know if it’s netflix but the ReBoot reboot lol karma terrible and has nothing to do with the original.

lol

28gi28.jpg

Hatt_101

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lool I remember lexx. one of the first things I watched that I got to see nude women in didn't watch in 1997, didn't know it was that old, but I saw the reruns in the years later.

I get what you mean Tex the new zev by all means is hotter but the original hold a special place for me lol, nostalgia i guess

Reactions: b.c.