What swimwear to wear on trip to Italy?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by audiilike, Oct 12, 2011.

1. audiilike

audiilike Member

HI guys, so I'm heading to Italy to visit a buddy for 3 weeks. He lives 30 minutes from the beach, so we will probabaly be speding lots of time there, and also has a pool at his place. He mentioned that when he first got there, his trusty board shorts were seen by his friends as a little juvenile. He mentioned that he has a lot of female cousins, and friends in his town so I wanted to make sure I wear something fashionable.

Does anyone have any insight as to what the norm is over there? Not sure I'd be ready to wear a speedo haha.

Thanks,

2. D_Otis_Criblecoblis

D_Otis_Criblecoblis Account Disabled

Your best bet is the square trunks. Slighty bigger than the speedo and not as juvenile as the board short. All the Europeans wear them. Good luck man

3. Pierced1953

Pierced1953 New Member

Albums:
    maybe they swim au natural in his pool. i'd still bring a pair of speedo's.

4. italian4all

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, first of all the weather is no more as hot as in the Summer, so I think you won't have many chances to stay on the beach wearing just swimwear. Maybe if you're head to the very South.

Anyway, people here wear everything: from speedos, to boxers and even surfer-boxers that get all the way down to the knee. And it's not a matter of age or sexual orientation, so wear your favorite stuff without worrying about it!

And if you're coming to Rome and want to have a beer... just send me a private message!

5. audiilike

audiilike Member

Thanks for the responses, His town is in the lower half of Italy, so it should be a little warmer. I leave in April, so it should start getting warmer there by then anyway right? I was thinking of the square cut ones, might be tiem to make a change anyway haha. thanks again

6. italian4all

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    April can be very nice and warm, but also variable and rainy. We can't say, but if you're lucky you can enjoy some good beach time. And the beer in Rome is still available if you'll pass this way!

7. luchoarg

luchoarg Member

I agree with square cut trunks. My bro lives there and thats what he wears. But if you are lost, ask you friend once in Italy to go to a local shop and buy whats in fashion there.

8. D_Mannie_Peddy

D_Mannie_Peddy Account Disabled

9. darkbond007

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Black speedo or Black square trunks.

10. Infernal

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just came back from Italy a few days ago. Tight pants and shorts seem to be the fashion right now. The square trunks should be perfect. The pants on some guys were so tight you could judge size, the shorts were a bit less so.

11. calvinkleinguy

calvinkleinguy Active Member

Albums:
    the majority of italians wear swimming briefs (trunks) on the beach

12. BoxersguyNJ

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    went there last year and guys now are starting to wear short trunks not the boxer type just short trunks and also speedo type

13. audiilike

audiilike Member

Thanks guys. If i had a soccer player body i might be a little more willing to do the black speedo, but im not quite there yet haha.

Italian4all I'll definetly let you know when i'm down there, i'll be flying into rome, adn my friends town is about an hour south east of there, so i'll be around. Nastro Azzuro is delicious!

14. SirConcis

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why are you unable to wear a speedo ? Just curious. If it is sized properly, it works fine and won't show more than if you wear trunks (glorified speedo with a bug more fabric on legs).

Just don't buy thin nylon speedos of the 1970s, get the thicker lycra/spandex ones.

15. josty

josty Member

Albums:
    Speedo/Bikini/Brief style is not super common in Italy, though certainly not rare either. On the beach you will see the full range of suits - long boardies (probably the rarest), traditional trunks, short trunks, square cuts, and briefs. My preference is a short trunk (like a rugby or triathlete short) or a square cut, though if you've never worn briefs on the beach it's a nice experience, and there is nowhere better to try than in Italy.

16. nicecircjob

nicecircjob Well-Known Member

My swim suit of choice is a Speedo but since they are out of favor in the US I wear square cut. I like Speedos because I like to get maximum sun on my body. I hate those stupid board shorts. Whoever thought those up should be hanged. Actually nude swimming is awesome.

17. RubberHarley

RubberHarley Member

Albums:
    I usually wear a speedo. My wife usually goes topless. Italy is very open.

Draft saved Draft deleted