Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
if somebody sees me reading a comic book they'll say"comics?..that's some nerd shit"
and i get the same thing if i talk about some sci-fi tv show,movie,or book.

but what i get alot is when i'll explain some sort of scientific reasoning or theory about something is..."damn..you know that? but you don't look like a nerd."
is it just me and the wierd shit that i go through in this confusing 38 years of existence? or am i out of the loop on what a "nerd" is

now i've been in this situation with people from all walks of life,and i get the same reaction..except when i'm at the comic book shop,or when i'm at a museum of course..LOL

but to anybody else here on the site..is there one meaning to the word?and what really makes a person a "NERD"?

Horrible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It cannot be defined, only embodied. And, if you have to ask, you probably are the physical definition of a "nerd"

Horrible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
it's a guy who knows what he likes and is not afraid to show how into it he is... someone like you. Consider it a compliment.

yes a nerd is usually well educated and likes culture and learning

Exactly, consider it a compliment. If they really don't mean it as a compliment, ignore it.

I get called a nerd everyday...

With all due respect;

These are "nerd" definitions of a "nerd

Urban dictionary defines it as:

nerd
A stereotypical label used to describe a person that is socially inadequate. A four letter word, but a six figure income.
Think Bill Gates, but typically on a smaller scale.
"

No matter what nerd rhetoric or propaganda you encounter, it is not a desirable attribute.

Think, less WoW, less DC, less D&D, less iBook, less role playing in the park. More beef, more sports, more beer, more women.

D_Barbi Bendone

Account Disabled
Media
Yet there would be no real civilization without nerds and geeks. Yes the big burly guys do the dirty jobs but without the knowledge of higher math and sciences we would not have all the tech around us, and no LPSG.

Also this pejorative term only seems to exist in North America and not in other nations.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
With all due respect;

nerd
A stereotypical label used to describe a person that is socially inadequate. A four letter word, but a six figure income.
"

No matter what nerd rhetoric or propaganda you encounter, it is not a desirable attribute.

Think, less WoW, less DC, less D&D, less iBook, less role playing in the park. More beef, more sports, more beer, more women.

I think more C/C++, Java, XNA/Silverlight... and more beer. Being a nerd is a perfectly desirable attribute. Anyone that says otherwise is, IMO, insecure. Love it or hate it, there will always be people that don't see eye to eye with your POV. Also, I, and most other "nerds" I know, wouldn't have a single problem in the world with getting their hands dirty doing manual labor. We may be a little quieter in a crowd or feel a bit out of place in a club, but we generally know exactly what to do in the bedroom. :wink::cool:

Nekoman

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
If someone calls you a nerd, it means they feel threatened because they know you're smarter than they are.... just sayin'

OhWiseOne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Nerds are fucking awesome! :biggrin1:
My god quite promoting yourself...:rolleyes:
And are awesome fucking.

Especially IT/Music nerds - just the right combo of scientific and creative. Oh yeah, that's some good lovin'! He knows who he is. :cool:
Really, so I may still may have a chance in life. Where is that IT manual? :confused:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
With all due respect;

nerd
"

I only date nerds. It's a prerequisite. I'm a nerd myself, and do not associate with the un-nerdly. True story. I went to a high school that only admitted nerds. I call it the Nerd High School of Science, but it was really called Bronx Science. Google it. It's geek heaven. Once, it was an all boys school, but I was admitted long after they let girls in.

L.A.R.P. is too nerdy for me, but I love the costuming aspect. Gaming stores go quiet when I ask for Magic the Gathering booster packs, or ask to see the selection of D&D dice sets, or some Palladium book or another. But nerding out has become more socially acceptable, and with that acceptance came nerds who bathed and could comport themselves in public. Nerds who lift weights and run marathons, nerds who can appreciate aged beef and a Cohiba. Yes, when I go to conventions I sometimes get drooled on by mouth-breathers who've not bathed since last year's convention. However, I am usually rescued by some hottie in IT with a mild obsession with Japan. (My husband, these days.)

There are lots of interesting women who love geeky guys. I wouldn't advise the geeks in my life to, Think, less WoW, less DC, less D&D, less iBook, less role playing in the park." I wouldn't advise them to do anything other than continue to be true to themselves. I would advise the stinky mouth-breathers to practice proper hygiene, however.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yet there would be no real civilization without nerds and geeks. Yes the big burly guys do the dirty jobs but without the knowledge of higher math and sciences we would not have all the tech around us, and no LPSG.

Also this pejorative term only seems to exist in North America and not in other nations.
Other English-speaking countries use the word. The nerds I fuck are big and burly.