What the Republican Controlled Congress WILL (and Will NOT) Do

Popyuu

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Funny thing is, Obama reached "across the aisle" and appointed people from both the business sector and those not exactly "liberal".

As for how well Romney would've better run things, that too is speculation. Some among us (so-called liberals) have in fact been at times (less and more) critical of Obama, but more so because of his rather naive approaches at compromise and cooperation, with opponents (at home and abroad) who were obviously interested in NEITHER. Some among us, for example, believe the ACA didn't go far enough, in that it incorporated elements from Romney's/the GOP's own plan.

Fact is, any assessment of what Romney may have done is WHOLLY undermined by the party ideology and platform upon which his candidacy (and presidency) would've been based, which is and was a trickle down economics concept by which the needs of the FEW (corporate America and the wealthiest among us) outweigh the needs of most everyone ELSE; the theory being that abundance of wealth and prosperity for the "upper crust" will somehow trickle down to the benefit of the middle class and poorest among us.

Statistics show that it never has, and never WILL.

So when someone says that a complete GOP takeover of Congress would be good for the country, and they hope all fears (and speculation) come to pass, one HAS to wonder why and what good can they possibly see coming of it??

Lest we forget, let us review what the GOP has OPPOSED (courtesy of Sargon's thread "Blocked" and subsequent comments therein):

Blocked

Recovery and Reinvestment Act, blocked

Small Business Job Act, blocked

Veterans Jobs Bill, blocked

American Jobs Act, blocked

Extension to Unemployment Benefits, blocked

Wall Street Reform Bill, blocked

Immigration Reform, blocked

Emergency Funding Border Bill, blocked

Political Ad Disclosure, blocked

Affordable Care Act – GOP voted 50 PLUS times to repeal it

Tax On Companies Shipping Jobs Overseas, blocked

Repeal of Don't Act Don't Tell — Blocked MULTIPLE times

Healthcare for 9/11 First Responders, blocked

Benefits for Homeless Veterans, blocked

Oil Spill Liability, blocked

Dream Act, blocked

Minimum Wage Increase, blocked

Unemployment Insurance Extension – Blocked

Bill Aimed at Curbing Wage Theft – Blocked

Student Loan Refinancing Bill – Blocked

Veterans Education, Jobs, and Health Benefits Bill, blocked

Employment Non Discrimination Act (which would have made it illegal to discriminate in the hiring of gays), blocked

Anti—Rape Amendment – GOP blocked that, and cast some 55 anti women votes for policies that threaten to undermine women's health and defund institutions that provide support for women.

Paycheck Fairness Act (that provided for equal pay for women), blocked FOUR TIMES

Buffet Rule (which would have required that wealthy 1% to pay the same percentage of their income in taxes that those of the middle class do), blocked

GOP obstruction of presidential appointments and judicial nominees, resulting in long term vacancies in judgeships

GOP Government Shut Down – in efforts to defund the ACA

Wonder how many will take a good look at your post.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Wonder how many will take a good look at your post.

Not many, I'd expect. But then again many DON'T WANT TO KNOW the facts, or more accurately, the facts as presented by anyone other than FOX, because the TRUTH bodes poorly for the REPUBLICAN record.

For example, add to the above list, the fact that GOP state representatives and governors rejected in whole or part, the stimulus package which directly or indirectly affected the staffing or closure of hospitals and other institutions, road projects, etc. including the loss of thousands of associated jobs, and little to no money to pay in unemployment benefits for those displaced by such actions.

Or, for example, the opposition by GOP governors and state representatives in 25 states to the Medicaid expansion component of the ACA, which DEPRIVED an estimated 8-9 MILLION people of health coverage.

Governors reject stimulus money for unemployment - USATODAY.com

In States That Didn't Expand Medicaid, It's As If Obamacare Doesn't Even Exist For The Poor

http://www.thenation.com/blog/16873...-funds-one-more-ideologically-driven-bad-idea

Such facts are largely ignored by those who come here to say how Obama is divisive, or who say the "loser in the White House" has sent the country "over the cliff".

The following article reveals how the TRUE "losers" (the GOP) were/ARE the REAL cause of the divisiveness - for "sending the country over the cliff", and how they conspired from the JUMP to undermine the Obama presidency.

The article reveals how, time and time again, Obama made efforts at conciliation, compromise, and cooperation, only to be blocked and undermined by a party determined to OPPOSE ALL ATTEMPTS at getting ANYTHING accomplished.

America’s dangerous “partisan” myth: Here’s what (and who) is really dividing us - Salon.com

But that too will be ignored or dismissed with the usual juvenile references to "liberal media" and the Daily Kos.

(Why the Daily Kos? I've hardly referenced them, but they keep bringing it up... soooooooo... I did a bit of digging. More on that, later.)

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Any consideration of what Republicans WILL and WON'T do when they control Congress must, of course, take into consideration what they HAVE delivered on.

As suggested by the link below, they haven't even delivered on what THEY promised.

Long ago, I posted an article that amounted to an admission by the GOP that their plan for replacing "Obamacare" was in fact, NO plan at all, as indicated in the piece below.

The House wouldn't even ALLOW bipartisan efforts at immigration reform to come up for a vote.

And TAX REFORM? lol. We quickly learned what THEIR priorities were, as shown below:

House Republicans have been unproductive: That won’t change even if Republicans win the Senate.

Then again, maybe that's the PLAN. Maybe some are most secure with a Congress that continues to do NOTHING. And as ONE commenter put it, considering what the GOP would LIKE to do, that’d be a hell of a lot more preferable.

Last edited:

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Repeal Obamacare. After that, sit on their fucking laurels for the rest of their 6 year term.

And bask in the glowing public accolades as people find themselves losing expanded Medicaid eligibility, federal subsidies for healthcare coverage, the ability to keep their children on their plan until they are 26, improvement in women's health services, better care and protections for seniors, new preventive services at no out-of-pocket costs, reforms to cut wasteful healthcare industry spending, the right to a quick appeal of any health insurance company decision, and many other rights and protections--while once again facing denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions, inflated fees based on health status or gender, annual and lifetime limits on coverage, and the loss of coverage because of illness.

Sounds like a plan.

D

deleted15807

And yet, as backward and regressive as it is, it may well take over the senate -- only to implement policies that will have them sweetly booted out of office in 2016.
Your American politics are strange indeed.

I sure hope so but I hope they don't get a chance. But Americans aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

And bask in the glowing public accolades as people find themselves losing expanded Medicaid eligibility, federal subsidies for healthcare coverage, the ability to keep their children on their plan until they are 26, improvement in women's health services, better care and protections for seniors, new preventive services at no out-of-pocket costs, reforms to cut wasteful healthcare industry spending, the right to a quick appeal of any health insurance company decision, and many other rights and protections--while once again facing denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions, inflated fees based on health status or gender, annual and lifetime limits on coverage, and the loss of coverage because of illness.

Sounds like a plan.

This is exactly why they wanted to send the nation into default to stop it because they knew once everyone saw the benefits it would be impossible to repeal. They would LOVE to repeal Social Security and Medicare but they know it's political suicide. Instead they're trying to bankrupt the government and use that as an excuse to cut the programs.

Last edited by a moderator:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I sure hope so but I hope they don't get a chance. But Americans aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

This is exactly why they wanted to send the nation into default to stop it because they knew once everyone saw the benefits it would be impossible to repeal. They would LOVE to repeal Social Security and Medicare but they know it's political suicide. Instead they're trying to bankrupt the government and use that as an excuse to cut the programs.

Yes. Cut the programs and raise the retirement age to 70.

Talk of retirement at 70 is QUITE easy for the wealthy and well to do.

How many "average Joes" will be able to keep working until age 70?

Especially after the GOP kills off the ACA and MORE employers decide they don't need to offer their employees health insurance.

Last edited:
D

deleted213967

Yes. Cut the programs and raise the retirement age to 70.

Talk of retirement at 70 is QUITE easy for the wealthy and well to do.

How many "average Joes" will be able to keep working until age 70?

Surely even you can't deny the abundantly-documented fact of vastly-increased longevity across all socio-economic cohorts since the FDR era.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
So the GOP wants to do US (since they claim to be all about "us") the FAVOR of putting the age at which we might finally recoup some of our INVESTMENT,

EIGHT more years beyond our reach, because people are living longer?

Gee, thanks.

I wonder if the COP controlled Congress will raise their OWN retirement age to 70 TOO:

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30631.pdf

AND, in anticipation of the next comment, allow me to post THIS:

"THE MYTH OF SOCIAL SECURITY INSOLVENCY", by Matt Bruenig

http://mattbruenig.com/2011/08/16/the-myth-of-social-security-insolvency/

Last edited:

YankeeJoe

Legendary Member
Media
B.C--are you a Democrat Party operative? Just asking. I mean, you stick to the party line on EVERYTHING. You never stray from the reservation. Do you get paid by the word?
It's always Obama, Democrats=Good, pure, enlightened, forward-looking, peaceful, loving, caring, selfless protectors of working people, women and minorities...
Republicans=evil, diabolical,sinister, backwards, greedy, backward-looking; bent on keeping minorities, women and gay people down under their jackboot-heel--after they steal all their money and funnel it to their rich overlords (OMG! The Koch Brothers!).
It's a cartoon, one-dimensional world of simplistic extremes of good and evil--with your side cast as the "good." It's silly and it's quite ridiculous. Give it a rest.
You do your homework--I'll give you that. But the sources you use are biased, and we both know that numbers and statistics cab be manipulated and massages to represent whatever you want to say.
By this time next week, the GOP will most likely have taken over the Senate and increased their majority in the House. I can't wait to hear how their victory is explained away by the Obama sycophants in the media. Because IF the GOP accomplishes their goal---It's all on Obama....

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm surprised you didn't mention the Daily Kos. :rolleyes:

Rather than the "right's" tried and predictable tactic of questioning the intent or integrity of people who question them,

why don't you try responding by highlighting all that GOOD stuff, courtesy of the GOP, that YOU speak of?

Rather than try to ridicule and dismiss valid concerns I, and others have about what a GOP controlled Congress may mean for ALL of the reasons discussed above,

why don't you try explaining how, as you suggested previously, all of that would be a good thing?

I haven't seen much by way of rebuttal yet.

But, to answer your ridiculous question, no, I'm not an operative, and I DON'T get paid for this. (How 'bout YOU?)

Last edited:

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
B.C--are you a Democrat Party operative? Just asking. I mean, you stick to the party line on EVERYTHING. You never stray from the reservation. Do you get paid by the word?
It's always Obama, Democrats=Good, pure, enlightened, forward-looking, peaceful, loving, caring, selfless protectors of working people, women and minorities...
Republicans=evil, diabolical,sinister, backwards, greedy, backward-looking; bent on keeping minorities, women and gay people down under their jackboot-heel--after they steal all their money and funnel it to their rich overlords (OMG! The Koch Brothers!).
It's a cartoon, one-dimensional world of simplistic extremes of good and evil--with your side cast as the "good." It's silly and it's quite ridiculous. Give it a rest.
Let's look at the two of you...

b.c. posts links that back up whatever he says. Now an interested individual can either accept or deny what he has posted but the fact is that he backed up his opinions.

You, on the other hand,since you began posting here has made many outrageous statements and whenever ANYONE has asked you to provide some kind of proof you resort to name calling and ignore the request. You could even present Fox News but all that you ever do is bloviate and disrupt. You made some statements earlier in this thread and you were asked to back up any of your statements and you have yet to do so. Vince correctly called you out. Now either man up or shut up.

Oh, as for you "imagined" House pickup it's clear you never read what is posted or anything other than WND so you haven't heard about gerrymandering aka how more people voted for Dems and yet more Reps got in

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Back to the topic at hand, some here, determined to ignore the factual evidence of the GOP conspiracy to undermine the presidency, have offered the rather LAME explanation that "it is the job of the opposition to oppose".

So how does that explain the GOP's opposition to things they once supported? (answer: Obama)

Republicans once supported policies such as the ACA mandate, gun control legislation, public education, and the Dream Act, among 24 others cited below. Or they did BEFORE Obama.

Addicting Info – 24 Policies That Republicans Supported BEFORE They Were Against Them

I guess that's what conservatives and the GOP mean when they say Obama "divided the country".

It means, since the [guy] in the White House got in, they can't even be FOR the stuff they're FOR.

Last edited:

Popyuu

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You do your homework--I'll give you that. But the sources you use are biased, and we both know that numbers and statistics cab be manipulated and massages to represent whatever you want to say.
By this time next week, the GOP will most likely have taken over the Senate and increased their majority in the House. I can't wait to hear how their victory is explained away by the Obama sycophants in the media. Because IF the GOP accomplishes their goal---It's all on Obama....

Is he wrong though? I don't know if you understand what i'm saying. What i'm asking is could you please prove him wrong. Cause i very much would like what i've seen countless times from the republican party not to be true. Cause if republicans weren't taking the whole entire crazy cake and eating it too then maybe people could have a chance at dealing with democrats that screw up. Right now though that would be like punishing one kid for stealing a cookie while the other is leveling a city block with military grade ammunition and a smile that says why so serious.

I am asking that you prove him wrong where he is wrong and possibly admit when he is right (although thats much more unlikely) because that really is the best way forward. Or you could just try another tactic or just plain do what republicans normally do. And in doing so...prove him right yet again.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Is he wrong though? I don't know if you understand what i'm saying. What i'm asking is could you please prove him wrong. Cause i very much would like what i've seen countless times from the republican party not to be true. Cause if republicans weren't taking the whole entire crazy cake and eating it too then maybe people could have a chance at dealing with democrats that screw up. Right now though that would be like punishing one kid for stealing a cookie while the other is leveling a city block with military grade ammunition and a smile that says why so serious.

I am asking that you prove him wrong where he is wrong and possibly admit when he is right (although thats much more unlikely) because that really is the best way forward. Or you could just try another tactic or just plain do what republicans normally do. And in doing so...prove him right yet again.

It isn't even a question of proving me wrong, Popyuu, because most of what he CLAIMS my position to be is just a simplified bulls*it mischaracterization of my own position (I "think" they call it a strawman argument, but then I couldn't possibly know that or much anything else because I MUST be "an operative" or speaking on behalf of someone else).

I never said everything Democrat is all good, and without fault, nor that everything Republican is all bad. And if one cared to look, they'd find times I've been critical of the president and the party.

All I said was, I hate evil s*it, and I consider ideology based upon hate, bigotry, and selfishness to be evil s*it. Let the shoe fit whomever.

But I wouldn't plan on holding my breath waiting for any explanation or rebuttal if I were you (not a logical one at least).

It's just another b.s. deflection, pure and simple.

Last edited:

Popyuu

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It isn't even a question of proving me wrong, Popyuu, because most of what he CLAIMS my position to be is just a simplified bulls*it mischaracterization of my own position (I "think" they call it a strawman argument, but then I couldn't possibly know that or much anything else because I MUST be "an operative" or speaking on behalf of someone else).

I never said everything Democrat is all good, and without fault, nor that everything Republican is all bad. And if one cared to look, they'd find times I've been critical of the president and the party.

All I said was, I hate evil s*it, and I consider ideology based upon hate, bigotry, and selfishness to be evil s*it. Let the shoe fit whomever.

But I wouldn't plan on holding my breath waiting for any explanation or rebuttal if I were you (not a logical one at least).

It's just another b.s. deflection, pure and simple.

I agree. It is. It's one of the many republican go to weapons of choice. And believe me, i mostly certainly am not holding my breath either. But i will say though that if you were wrong and could be proven so it would do their party so much good. The sad part...they know they can't yet still move forward with the same tactics. All the while dragging people with them.

Trust me, i've seen you comment on the mistakes of democrats more than a couple times. And have agreed with those assessments. Hell a very large majority of the time you post for the simple reason of presenting information that won't normally be seen on this site. And express an opinion not widely held for the purpose of fairness.

It just gets funny from time to time. Watching them do the exact same things over again while expecting different results.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I agree. It is. It's one of the many republican go to weapons of choice. And believe me, i mostly certainly am not holding my breath either. But i will say though that if you were wrong and could be proven so it would do their party so much good. The sad part...they know they can't yet still move forward with the same tactics. All the while dragging people with them.

Trust me, i've seen you comment on the mistakes of democrats more than a couple times. And have agreed with those assessments. Hell a very large majority of the time you post for the simple reason of presenting information that won't normally be seen on this site. And express an opinion not widely held for the purpose of fairness.

It just gets funny from time to time. Watching them do the exact same things over again while expecting different results.

I've discovered that one of the main reasons for this is that, in spite of all their questioning of OUR sources of information, MOST conservatives and those right of center get THEIR news from very limited sources (and this is also related to Sargon's thread on scientific findings re. knowledge and the lack thereof vs. sustainable democracy), so that they become, in effect, brainwashed.

I've always known this to be more or less true, only I never suspected to what degree. A recent article I found relating to certain Pew Research findings, and a few too many references by certain people here to the Daily Kos, clued me in on what's happening here.

In the article (I'll post the link here, again:)

The GOP hates the ‘lamestream media’ even more than you think - The Washington Post

it was revealed that 60% of mostly conservative and as much as 80% of consistently conservative people get their news exclusively from FOX. Whereas the highest percentage for everyone else is 50%, from several news sources, including local news.

Since some here kept mentioning the Kos, I, for a moment, though maybe I was the one in the dark... maybe the Kos was the "go to bible" of all liberal thought and only I was unaware of it.

Well, the Daily Kos doesn't even appear in the first graphic. It appears in the second, a horizontal bar graph titled, "Views of News Sources Among Those with Consistently Liberal... Values". And according to the Pew research findings, only 10% of liberals TRUST the Kos, 3% distrust it, and 22% neither.

And 65% PERCENT of Liberals don't even know a f****** thing ABOUT IT!

So what's with this Daily Kos mantra of theirs? Since most all of 'em listen to Fox, I figured that'd have to be the source.

A little digging and I discovered some war of words exists between the two, having to do with something called "StopRush", Fox sponsors (or the lack thereof) and certain (I'd imagine, unfounded) allegations about a few of them, and something about an alleged pyramid scheme, all of which I personally couldn't give a flying FART about, excepting this:

If they think we all sip from the cup of the Kos, or that media sources other than Fox are unreliable, it could only be because people like Hannity, Beck, Limbaugh, et al have TOLD them so.

All of which, imo, is living proof of the dangers of demagoguery and information garnered SOLELY from one extremely limited and wholly BIASED point of view. And that's a DANGEROUS thing. Conservatives, of course, are not alone in this respect. They just "sip the tea" more often, and from a singular "brew".

The result being, I've come to the realization that maybe a few TOO MANY are (ideologically) MORE f******d up, than even I thought they were. And that's SAYING something, ace.

Last edited:

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

One-dimensional cartoons, huh?

I guess you didn't watch the Republican presidential debates back in 2012. :tongue: