What the Republican Controlled Congress WILL (and Will NOT) Do

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is "war against" really much of a plan?

Note: the following assumes the war against whomever BS is legitimate.

If the "war against" you highlight involves deliberate, nationwide collaboration to rob a given group of their right to vote, have free contraception, work, etc, I think one can reasonably argue that it would require some sort of plan...

Orrrrr maybe we ought to adopt the venerable Storm's (I think Drizzle would more aptly describe his intellectual capacity, but I digress) near factual assertion that the GOP simply uses hate for ALL non-white, wealthy, cock having individuals (marinate on that lunacy please) as their North Star, and have somehow managed to do all they've been accused of by nothing more than dumb luck.

Orrrrrr my can't have it both ways view of it was, is, and will continue to be accurate.

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, it's more like "look around and anyone that doesn't look like you, you're against". No plan needed, just hatred.

Klingy, I honestly don't even know why I bother. I go out of my way to make Drizzle's POV sound as ignorant as I can conceive...only for him to do it so much better than me.

I'm in awe.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Is "war against" really much of a plan?

Yeah, it's more like "look around and anyone that doesn't look like you, you're against". No plan needed, just hatred.

"War against" is the only plan they need, and it shows both the gullibility of those who fall for dog whistle politics as well as their lack of respect for their constituency.

Just look at the kind of Koch funded, ads running in various areas. In Louisiana there's a Bill Cassidy ad that runs pictures of Obama with a speed altered background soundtrack of "Yes we can" repeating over and over in simulation of some "nazi like" Heil Hitler theme, ads that say Landrieu "Sided with Obama against 'us'", and "Landrieu stands for 'them' not for 'us'".

The implications of the ads don't leave much to the imagination, yet they have the audacity to feign indignation whenever someone calls them out on it.

As far as whether the Republican obstructionists will actual GET anything accomplished, even THEY are throwing cold water on that because THEY HAVE NO PLAN.

They have NO real replacement for Obamacare, or nothing that’s going to address things like the individual mandate, the Medicaid subsidy, or costs while REMAINING sustainable AND affordable.

The have NO plan for immigration reform because the Tea Party won’t have it.

They have NO plan for tax relief on the middle class because that’d mean changes to the tax code for people like their financial backers, the KOCHS.

And we KNOW what their plan is regarding more restrictive voting regulations, abortion, gay marriage, social security, food stamps, unemployment insurance, environmental regulations, equal pay for women, veteran’s benefits, the minimum wage, and companies that send jobs overseas - which will be more of the same old NO.

So the only PLAN will be to continue doing NOTHING,

OR pass b.s. legislation that they KNOW will get VETOED, just so they can accuse Obama of being the obstructionist.

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

In Louisiana there's a Bill Cassidy ad that runs pictures of Obama with a speed altered background soundtrack of "Yes we can" repeating over and over in simulation of some "nazi like" Heil Hitler theme, ads that say Landrieu "Sided with Obama against 'us'", and "Landrieu stands for 'them' not for 'us'".

And Landrieu got into 'hot water' because she dared say the obvious:

“I’ll be very, very honest with you. The South has not always been the friendliest place for African-Americans,” the senator told Todd. “It’s been a difficult time for the president to present himself in a very positive light as a leader.”​

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
If the "war against" you highlight involves deliberate, nationwide collaboration to rob a given group of their right to vote, have free contraception, work, etc, I think one can reasonably argue that it would require some sort of plan...

We probably don't want to get too caught up in the semantics of "plan." My earlier point was, while it may require all kinds of coordinated strategy to fight against your opponent's position, there's still something crucial missing if you can't offer a better solution of your own.

This, for instance, is my concern about Obamacare. Earlier Republican calls to "repeal and replace" (without a specific or convincing plan for the latter) now seem to have given way simply to "repeal." Whatever your feelings about the ACA, it's problematic to think of jettisoning it without some coherent alternative.

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We probably don't want to get too caught up in the semantics of "plan." My earlier point was, while it may require all kinds of coordinated strategy to fight against your opponent's position, there's still something crucial missing if you can't offer a better solution of your own.

This, for instance, is my concern about Obamacare. Earlier Republican calls to "repeal and replace" (without a specific or convincing plan for the latter) now seem to have given way simply to "repeal." Whatever your feelings about the ACA, it's problematic to think of jettisoning it without some coherent alternative.

Of all the times to not stray from the anti-Obana tactics, this would seem to be it.

I agree that they've been absolute shit at conveying their ACA plan, if indeed they even have one, but realistic platitudes aren't going to do much to shift public sentiment during the run up to the midterms.

Nobody ever accused politicians of putting the greater good over individual aspirations...

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

In all the years the GOP has existed it never came up with a plan regarding healthcare. In the great Republican takeover during the Clinton years we never heard of a GOP healthcare plan. We still have heard nothing other than we will repeal Obamacare then we'll work on something to replace it with. Oh that is until it went into effect and then we heard that every thing that people liked( kids staying on until 26, no preexisting exclusions, etc. )would stay and the rest would be scrapped. Would that be the part where insurers are required to use a larger part of the premiums paid for care instead of pocketing it? The ACA as it stands is a love letter to insurers but the GOP letter just shows that they can love them more.

Oh and Mr. Boehner, where are the jobs? That is why your Party gained power in 2010 wasn't it? How many votes on abortion rights and repeal of Obamacare as opposed to actually working on jobs?

Last edited:

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
In all the years the GOP has existed it never came up with a plan regarding healthcare. In the great Republican takeover during the Clinton years we never heard of a GOP healthcare plan.

Actually, back in 1993 the Republicans (led by Senators John Chafee, Orrin Hatch, Chuck Grassley, Richard Lugar, Robert Bennett, and Christopher Bond) introduced legislation that *did* offer an alternative to the Clinton healthcare plan. Essentially, they proposed Obamacare, with an individual mandate to buy health insurance.

But you're right: once they defeated the Clinton plan and gained control of Congress, they never pushed for a healthcare solution of their own.

Republicans Spurn Once-Favored Health Mandate

Last edited:

h0neymustard

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And Landrieu got into 'hot water' because she dared say the obvious:

“I’ll be very, very honest with you. The South has not always been the friendliest place for African-Americans,” the senator told Todd. “It’s been a difficult time for the president to present himself in a very positive light as a leader.”​
That'll go over well with the constituents.

Tuesday will be a good day, I hope.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
[FONT=&quot]And Landrieu got into 'hot water' because she dared say the obvious: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I’ll be very, very honest with you. The South has not always been the friendliest place for African-Americans,” the senator told Todd. “It’s been a difficult time for the president to present himself in a very positive light as a leader.”[/FONT]

The facts pretty much speak for themselves, doesn’t it? Here’s a woman who devoted all her political career working on behalf of citizens of the state, at times having to fight and lobby, even the president, on their behalf

and along comes some opportunist who’s been against the ACA, who, along with state republican leaders rejected the Medicaid option that would’ve provided coverage for 280,000 Louisianians, who essentially has NO alternative health plan, who wants to privatize social security and raise the retirement age to 70… who wants to do all that and worse for a people who aren’t exactly the WEALTHIEST in the nation

and can successfully SELL that load of horses*it - simply by mentioning Obama and saying s*it like, Landrieu stands for “them” and not for “us”.

So yes, I'd say it's pretty obvious what the problem is here.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It's not surprising that the Republicans are set to make gains this cycle. It's a midterm election and the opposition usually does well in non-Presidential years. Secondly, look at these two maps:
RealClearPolitics - 2014 Election Maps - Battle for the Senate
2012 Presidential Election Results - The Washington Post

Most of the races are taking place in states that usually go Republican nationally. The south and the plains states. There 4 states that went for Romney which are NOT having senatorial elections. But 13 of the states in Obama's column in 2014 aren't. In the northeast and the west and Florida, there are very few senate seats being contested, because it's not their turn in the six-year cycle. Those are the states that gave Obama his big win. Under these circumstances, it would be kind of a miracle if the Dems didn't take heavy losses.

Still looking forward to the comedy that Cruz, Rand, Perry, Santorum et al are promising for 2016.

Last edited:
D

deleted213967

Still looking forward to the comedy that Cruz, Rand, Perry, Santorum et al are promising for 2016.

Don't you think that a Hillary-Biden duel would provide even more comic relief?