What to do with my life?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Synergistic, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Synergistic

Synergistic Member

Albums:
    I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I don't even know where to start to see what I like. College isn't really indicitave of what can be done with any given degree, so how do I find out what my options are and what they are like?

2. InsertHere

InsertHere New Member

I know how you feel. If you want to take the college route, I would suggest going to a large university with lots of choices. Go in undeclared and start working on your general ed, and take the classes that interest you most. You'll find the things you are really interested in and that will lead you to a major and a career path. Otherwise, just try different things and see what you like! Some people never really figure it out.

Also, can I steal your avatar? I love it!

3. jay_too

jay_too New Member

Dude, join the club.

I always said that I would never go to grad school and that I wanted to do something practical...so I ended up with a degree in engineering. Boring!! So here I am in grad school. One of the great things about life in the 21st Century is that you don't have to do something all your life; you can reinvent yourself every few years.

In making my decision to change careers, these are some of the questions that I had to answer:

What is the most important aspect of work? [For me, intellectual challenge rather than money.]

Will there be opportunity to grow in the job?

How important is location?

It turns out that many of the things I really like to do don't pay s***. So I bounced through many iterations.

jay

4. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    who says you've got to "do something" with your life? do whatever you feel like doing. there must be something you enjoy. and bear in mind that it's okay to waste your time as long as YOU are the one wasting it.

5. iggy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

dr. rock is right. do whatever you want to do. your passion...

iggy

6. Imported

Gold Member

orionsword57:
    My advise would be to concentrate on "who" rather than "what" you want to be. By this, I mean deciding things like: do you want to lead or follow... help or use people... utilize your eyes, your ears or your hands in what you do...

Then BE that person, ie... be committed to who yuo want to be. Other similar people will suddenly begin to show up in your life, and they will lead you to a decision by their counsel and by their examples. A secret of creating a life for oneself is being open to coaching!

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

One good way to see what's out there is to volunteer.

Hospitals, nursing homes, food banks, VA hospitals, youth programs, homeless aid, etc., etc., etc.

You never know, but there might be a task out there waiting for nlatimer that will take your whole lifetime to complete.

8. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    I picked engineering my junior year of high school because that was what a lot of seniors that I knew went into. Most of them are out of engineering by now (I will be a senior in college this fall), but I liked what I picked. I've always been into math and science and it has fit me well.

IH is right though, pick a big college that has a large variety of majors to choose from. You can find something you think you might like, and if you want to switch...then you will have plenty other choices to fall back on. Whether you like english, music, math, physics, economics, business, biology, etc. I'm sure you can find something. Just look at a list of majors/jobs, and write down the ones that interest you. Then narrow down the list, and go from there.

Draft saved Draft deleted