What to do....

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Hatched69, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Hatched69

Hatched69 Member

Albums:
    I'm not entirely certain how to phrase what's on my mind, but here goes.
    This issue of job security and retirement for people my age has had me flaming mad for some time, but this week at work really fueled the fire. The government keeps screwing with the "Social Security" funds, and by the way things look, there won't be a dime left in the account for anyone to draw from by the time I reach retirement age, let alone this clusterf**k in Iraq needs more $$ every time the wind blows. (That's an entirely different ball of wax, but I will state that I support every single military personnel over there and pray each one comes home alive and soon). My primary job is dependent on the automotive industry, and my employer's main client is Chrysler. Now, the parent company Daimler-Chrysler AG is talking about selling Chrysler and possibly closing factories. More job cuts for US workers, including me. The union has choked itself out of work through the years by their demands of benefits and raises and the auto industry just keeps cranking up the prices of automobiles to compensate for the expenses. Yet, the CEO's keep drawing their million-dollar checks while demanding cost-cutting efforts on every level. Now, the obvious and age-old reply "the rich get richer, the poor get poorer" comes to mind, but really, when is this shit going to end? When will American workers stand up and fight for their jobs? Illegal immigrant workers are only a minor issue on this front, but they are a growing concern, too. I have even started my own business in the electronic eqpt. maintenance industry, only to be burdened beyond belief with taxes and fees associated with doing business, and - this is the killer - would you believe TERRORISM INSURANCE?!?!?. I live in the middle of Cornstalk County, USA and I have to have TERRORISM INSURANCE in order to keep my major contracts. Mind you, this is not inexpensive insurance for my line of work. I get the feeling that the US Goverment would rather NOT see the middle-class survive (although we are the backbone of America). I consider myself to be financially sound (not filthy rich, but doing OK), but the concern I primarily have is whether or not living into old age is even going to be possible financially for folks like me at my age.
    Any thoughts on this matter?

2. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fighting's got nothing to do with it. Labor is cheaper overseas.

3. Love-it

Gold Member

How old are you?

I'm 58 and figure that I will work until I am 80 when the mortgage will be paid off. No big deal. The folks are going strong at 85, lots of time left to do whatever I want or need to do.

Work is a way of life and a way to meet and interact with people and concepts which are the heart of life. I learn something new everyday and get to explore new ideas and ponder life, what more is there?

4. Hatched69

Hatched69 Member

Albums:
    My point right there. When is the American workforce going to stop letting their jobs go overseas? Everything is "cheaper" overseas, but the rest of the world seems to view America as a never-ending well of money. The well is running dry. If no one has a job, no one will be able to afford these products.

5. Hatched69

Hatched69 Member

Albums:
    I am 37. It's great you plan to work until you're 80. I'm looking at worst-case scenario. What if my health craps out on me when I'm 75? I won't be able to work, what then? :confused: Let alone the fact that they keep raising the retirement age. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but all I'm trying to do is prepare for the future, if I even have one.

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

I'm 44 and have let go of any hope that the government will be able to provide me with ANY assistance in my retirement. I plan to work until I drop dead. I'm too poor to be sick, regardless of what my body thinks.

Most of my family have worked until they died, with the exception of my great grandparents who were taken in by my mother in their elder years. It was a tremendous experience as a young child to get to live with people who had seen so much. I wish more families were able to do this, but we are struggling so hard to support our immediate families now that any special care is extremely difficult to accomplish. The prospects are bleak for our generation.

7. D_Maurice Mountlilly

D_Maurice Mountlilly Account Disabled

it's fucked up that working man gets the boot of the uppper class, for ever it seems like.being one it makes me enjoy the smaller things in life,opposed to the material shit that's put on such a high unrealistic standard,in everything in life,especially in entertainment.
    it ain't a cold world it's a mutha fuckin' ice age!! sorry.... i get mad when i think about issues such government,the people,and church and state...

8. dong20

Gold Member

Save yourself the stress and worry, die young.

9. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Of course jobs are going overseas. They get paid a fraction of what
    workers in North America get. Blame big unions, I mean people that get paid upwards of $30.00 an hour here, when the average Chinese or Indian
    worker might make that in a week. Hard to compete with that.

10. agnslz

Gold Member

I'm beggining to think that the only jobs that are secure anymore are unemployment claim officers and job trainers!

As for retirement, I think if all else fails for me I'll just mooch off of my nephews and nieces 'til I die!:redface: They owe me for all those quarters I've given them at the store over the years, anyway!:biggrin:

11. Love-it

Gold Member

I will tell you the secret, but only if you promise to listen, and it is: "Be Positive, and "...cares will drop off like Autumn leaves."

Draft saved Draft deleted