What to expect at physical next week

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
It's completely non-invasive, just getting some baseline numbers like you said. The only thing that may be awkward is the whole turn-and-cough deal, but you might already know about that. Have you ever had a physical?

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, just like Stapledshut said, completely non-invasive - doesn't take long at all, just the standard checkup, blood pressure, stethoscope on chest and back, some mildly irritating prodding on various body parts, maybe some blood work, but it's good that you're doing it, I haven't in quite some time either.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No worries.

They will take a complete medical history first-- asking questions about current and previous health problems and family history. You'll get asked about your diet and overall level of fitness. They will take basic measurements like height, weight, blood pressure, listen to your heart and lungs, check reflexes, do some neurological testing (close your eyes and touch your nose, things like that), look in your ears. I'm not a guy but they will probably check your testicles.

Depending on your age and what they find in the physical, they will send you out for other tests if need be. You'll probably definitely need to get blood drawn for baseline numbers like cholesterol, blood count, liver function, etc. Depending on your age you might need a colonoscopy.

Getting a phyiscal is a good thing, and even if you're nervous you'll come out knowing your health better and you'll feel better for that.

Take care and let us know how it turns out!

Swordie

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
New York City, New York, United States of America
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I go for a full physical once a year. Its a relatively quick process, except for the whole waiting room ordeal.

The Dr will ask u to drop u'r drawers, he/she will cup u'r testicles and feel for lumps (takes abt 2 seconds at most), he will ask u to cough while u'r testicles are cupped. If u'r over 35, he should put on the rubber glove and stick a finger up u'r chute - this one will last for abt 3 seconds.

I once made a comment that the finger up the butt was a little uncomfortable for me and my Dr responded, "how would u like to be me"?

The rest is a piece of cake - blood, urine, question/answers, possibly an EKG.

And u'r out of there. A week later u should have ALL u'r levels and results, I always ask to have mine faxed to me for my own records.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For most people, it isn't a pleasant experience, but for most, it's also not a horrible experience.

It depends on how thorough an examination you get, though. I don't want to discourage you from getting a physical (it's really, really important) but the two above comments were not exactly correct about it being non-invasive. Don't let the term "invasive" frighten you, though. It simply means something enters the body. Two procedures you MUST have done are invasive, but relatively painless and quick. A digital rectal exam is necessary to check the prostate and a couple of other things (a bit undignified, but nothing to worry about.) Ask him to go ahead and do an occult blood check while doing the DRE.

The other invasive procedure is a blood panel, also extremely important but not painful. You should specifically ask for a baseline PSA (prostate specific antigen) test, in addition to the standard panel.

The other "undignified" exam would be the hernia test. The doc puts a couple of fingers behind your balls at the base of your scrotum; that's when he tells you to "turn & cough." All he is checking for is movement in your balls when your abdominal muscles contract.

Other than that, most of the exam is oral medical history and vital signs. Be absolutely honest in answering all questions, whether it's embarrassing or not.

It may not be the highlight of your life, but a physical exam is nothing to fear, and essential to protecting your health. Best of luck!