Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So I'm not really sure if this post fits in this forum or category at all so I apologize in advance. I'm a college student in Boston right now but will be studying abroad in Germany come this Spring for 4 months. I just wanted to know if anyone out there can give me advice as to what I should wear or how should I dress while in Germany? I don't want to stick out of the crowd where someone can easily tell I'm American, aside from me being Asian, (don't get me wrong, I love my country) but I don't want to be faced with people giving me negative stuff about US stereotypes & trouble along those lines. So anyone out there (if you're German, that would help A LOT) who can help me, please give me your advice & tips! :) Thanks! :)

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Much of this depends on where you are going to be living. Are you going to be in Berlin or Frankfurt or are you going to be in Munich or Hamburg? From my experience it's much colder in Germany in the spring and early summer than you are likely used to in Boston so take something to keep warm.
My best advice is check out the web site for the school that you are going to attend or the tourism site for the city or town and look at any pictures that might give you some clues as to how most are dressed if you want to fit it.

This might be of some help too! GQ Germany

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The best way to blend in is to wear nice shoes. Sneakers just scream "American" over here.

Don't wear plaid, or baseball caps, or use huge Amerikaner backpacks. You probably should leave your thick padded hightops at home. Don't wear tracksuits either, unless you are Russian mafia.

Anything black is your friend.

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you're going to be in Bavaria, you wont stick out as american, cause we already have thousands of americans here (there is a US Army base in every second town or so). Just wear your usual clothes, young germans usually dress the same way as americans. And I don't agree about the sneakers, cause young germans only wear sneakers also.
You even see some people walking around with Skater or Surfer type of clothing.
Now for the weather: The last 2 years spring was way hotter than summer. This March was one of the hottest we've ever had. But remember to bring a jacket if you go out, cause at nights it still gets very very cold in spring. Another tip for going out: The clubs usually don't let guys in that wear sneakers or sandals (in summer). So remember to bring a nice pair of shoes for when you go out. A nice shirt as well. Usually they don't mind Jeans, as long as they look good and have no holes in them or anything.
And remember to bring some clothes for rain. Usually it rains quite a bit here in spring.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or PM me :smile:

ruggerkit28

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I am English but have lived in Germany. Frankly, young fashion is pretty international. It will be cold, (depends on where you are), you will will need a decent warm top coat/jacket for outside - somthing with a furry lining looks good.

Good jeans are OK anywhere.

Don't dress too preppy.

There will be loads of 'value' clothing retailers where you can 'top up' your wardrobe for not too many Euros.

And rememeber, us Eurpoean boys tend to have shorther haircuts.

SmarterCooper

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
if you don´t wanna get faced with negative US stereotypes, just behave like you´re not "one of the stereotype americans", when you are not;)

Thats it. Dress yourself the way you like!

asianvirginboy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just to add more details, I will be traveling from Boston to Berlin & studying there for 4 months from early January to end of April. This might sound weird & silly but what I want to do is when I get there, I want to learn the trend & fashion over in Germany & dress like a German & hopefully that will last throughout my time there. silly me huh? i just have a horrible sense of fashion & don't wanna screw myself over :( i'll definitely be PMing those who offered & ask for tips & advice :)

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Relax...don't over think it and don't stress. You'll be fine, but if you have any questions, I only say this because she offered, PM Pandora77. She's a sweetheart and is the perfect person to advise you...trust me. Viel Spaß und Prost!!! :smile:

distance

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Bring a half-empty suitcase, and go shopping if you're in Berlin - very cheap clothing, if you avoid the big chain stores, and there are lots of "local" places (I recommend "e-rags" in Prenzlauerberg)

S

SirConcis

Bermuda shorts (plaid), and a t-shirt that has either a McDonallds or Coca Cola logo printed on it. And camera on belly. White fruit of the loom underwear that is visible because your bermuda shorts are halfway down , and a baseball cap.

Wearing an iPhone with the white earphones might break the stereotype though, and you woudln't want to do that :) :) :) :) :)

atn564

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Head to a H&M & Zara after your arrival, and find the hottest guy and repeat your questions :)

oh i forgot H&M is from Sweden and Zara is from Spain. Or is there any Gap in Berlin?
The thing about globalisation is that young adult fashion is dominated by chain shops and relatively closed due to economy of scale. I don't really see a big different from what people dress in Berlin, London, New York or Tokyo. However, it will probably be the attitude and how people behave that distinguish people out (including you)....

LUM_1986

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I must admit that I haven't travelled a lot.

But because I live in London, I can say that I know many people from many MANY different countries.

The best advice I can give you, is to quote a female friend who now lives in London after having been born and raised in the US.

She once said, during a conversation about the differences in Euro boys and US boys, was that '...American guys worry about dressing to not stick out, and European boys tend to dress TO stick out.'

Meaning that, if she is to be believed, that American males tend to worry that they will get attention from dressing 'out of step' with others, and Europeans actively seek to get attention through being 'different'... (which is a form of conformation in its own way, but thats for a different thread, lol)

So I would say, that if you don't want to 'stick out' as an American, the best thing you can do is 'stick out'... :)

That being said, be comfortable with your choices, just remember that if the place is anything like London you could wear fluorescent green trousers and as long as your in the right places no one would bat an eyelid... :)

adec

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Leave the caps, polos and prep shorts at home ... go for a slimmer cut in the clothes you wear. If you're looking for cheap disposable fashion to get you started, before you move and shop there, H&M and Zara are good stores to hit that will routinely import European style clothing.

Try to layer and watch the shoes. Urban military is what's big right now.

edit: Oh, and lux denim with the big logos will stand out like a sore thumb. You don't see as many gaudy logos displayed everywhere ... European's do seem to have a penchant for their Abercrombie though

Last edited:

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow. Thanks I guess :redface:

Relax...don't over think it and don't stress. You'll be fine, but if you have any questions, I only say this because she offered, PM Pandora77. She's a sweetheart and is the perfect person to advise you...trust me. Viel Spaß und Prost!!! :smile: