What to wear?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by bluekarma, Apr 3, 2007.

1. bluekarma

bluekarma Well-Known Member

Hi peeps! I know I've been MIA for a while, been a busy bee. I come here not to discuss the penis, but to ask your advice. I am taking my first ever, trip to New York City!! I'm psyched! My friend is taking me to see Les Miserables. It is his favorite musical, and also the main reason we are going. Anyway, of all the things to be concerned about....I don't know what to wear! I really am clueless, I know style in NYC has to be much different from the rinky dink town I live in. So...any New Yorker's care to give me some advice? Or anyone who's been to the Theater? We are going to the Broadhurst Theater for the 8pm showing. Don't know if that makes a difference?

This dress is one I found on amazon, don't know if it'll work or not? Too dressy? Not dressy enough? Again, I'm clueless! Thanks so much, post links if you want, or can.

Pink lacy dress

Thanks guys! CG

2. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've never been to the Theatre in NYC, but I probably would wear what I've worn to the opera or symphony...play it safe and wear black, either a pantsuit or dress with an evening bag and really nice shoes.

3. hkwes

hkwes Member

Albums:
    I've been to the theatre many times, including in NYC. Generally speaking, as long as you look "formal," you'll fit in fine. I tend to see dark, reserved shades of color instead of light ones. (The dark pink parts of the dress linked are fine, not so sure about the light pink part).

Matching shoes and handbag obvious. Not 6" Stilettos. Don't forget $ for coat check. Have fun.

4. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    What's wrong with 6" stilettos? (Just kidding...)

5. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
  6. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    The image of the dress you posted is quite appropriate and fashionable. You may want to have a sweater to put over it - crisp Spring nights, you know...

I can't help you with the shoes -- no experience with heels. Black pumps are safest to wear... if you have matching pink heels, that may be slightly more fashionable.

7. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Because of my other half, I spend most of every weekend in the theater in NYC. Attire has definitely been downgraded -- even on Bway -- over the years. You can actually get away with jeans now.

8. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    Here, where I live, you can get away with jeans too, but why would you want to? It's fun to get dressed up for a special event, and I think some traditions are still worth keeping.

9. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    Where you go to dine - either before or after the show - is as equally as important as the show itself, if you really are going to "enjoy the town". IT's a culinary and sensory experience that you'll never forget.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and make a reservation for this exquisite, trendy pan-Asian restaurant called Tao. Make the reservation now and cancel it if you and your friend don't fint it appealing later on. You won't be able to make a reservation the day of or even the day before, unless you eat after midnight (and you're lucky).

Tao Restaurant

[SIZE=-1]www.taorestaurant.com
    42 E 58th St
    New York, NY 10022
    (212) 888-2288
    [/SIZE]

I would recommend doing something counter-intuitive. Go to the show first and then have dinner after the show ~ 11PM. Your broadway show will be near Times Sq. and 42nd St, so you can either walk ~ 15 minutes or cab it to East 58th St. near Central Park.

Have Fun.

10. D_Foscurinus Ambrosine Freedicke

I love the dress...very Sex and the City:) And nothing wrong with stiletto's!!! Really! And you should wear it with a nice scarf or so...you will look fabulous:)

11. Principessa

Gold Member

That dress is gorgeous. I recommend wearing it with a pashmina type shawl.

12. basketbulge

basketbulge Member

Albums:
    I agree. Unless it's an opening night, it's a bit of anything goes. When I went to the opening night of Mary Poppins a couple of months ago, Clinton Kelly of the show What Not to Wear sat a couple seats away from me. In retrospect, I wish I could have asked him for you curiousgurl!! :smile: Maybe what you choose to wear will depend on what your plans are after the show... dinner, a club, walking around Times Square, etc.

I'm sure you'll look spectacular whatever you choose. The dress you attached looks hot! Have a great time!

13. b0b3rt831

b0b3rt831 Member

I think that that dress would be perfect, as an avid Broadway goer myself most people don't really dress up to the nines anymore, especially now that it is WARM out... seeing shows in NYC in the summer can be hell because of the temperature

14. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

You're going to see Les Miserables not grand opera so that dress would be entirely suitable. It's pretty and smart enough to take you from the theater to dinner afterwards if you decide to do that, but not so fancy you'd feel overdressed or out of place. It might be acceptable to wear jeans but it's so much nicer to dress up a little. I'd match it with black shoes and bag as pink can be hard to match up.

15. bluekarma

Awww! Wow you guys! Thanks so much for all these replies, and especially for the dinner recommendation...we were sort of stumped about that and wanted to try something different. We also didn't know if places would still be serving dinner after the show (since that is our preference for dinner time) around here everything goes to a bar menu after 8pm (grr). I'm going to order that dress tomorrow...but I'll still have to find shoes, and a scarf or shawl...and a bag....OMG, I'm so excited I can't stand myself. Ha!! We only have one night, so we are cramming as much into this trip as we can. Staying in a nice hotel in Times Square too. Thanks again for helping this lil' country girl enjoy her first taste of the city...xoxooxox

CG

16. bluekarma

Special thanks to you, my dear. Also wanted to say, that is one hot bulge..heh, see, I just can't turn it off....

17. No_Strings

Gold Member

I'm hardly a female fashion guru, but as a guy I think it looks nice - formal but not overly so. :smile:

On a side note, I really like the look of this dress from the same page.

18. GoneA

Gold Member

What you've picked out is quite nice ... and definitely acceptable for where your going (I live in Manhattan and I go to the theatre quite a bit (speaking of, you can always stop by to visit me, because I'm random like that.)) However, you should be much more concerned with dressing appropriately for the restaurant you're going to afterwards.

19. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Honey, you'll be in my neighborhood, and while all the tourons (1/2 tourist and 1/2 moron) make me crazy, I'll be happy to give you some suggestions.

I know an incredible (unmarked) place all the Broadway stars hang out after their shows, but I'm not going to post it here. Angus McIdoe's on 44th Street right across the street from the Broadhurst (your theater) is great for celeb-spotting after the show. You need to be on the 3rd floor though, away from the riff-raff. Sardi's is the prime spot on that street for after-theater noshing.

Suffice it to say that all the restaurants in the theater district are open and hopping after the shows let out. You won't have a problem finding a place, but you should make reservations if you don't want to end up eating at the Milford Plaza.

20. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can so see you in this dress. Very appropriate for the occasion. Hope you have a great time. Oh, and I wanna see pics! :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted