What TV Show Captures the Cultural Moment Best?

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff: Jokes, Quizzes, Games & Pics' started by B_bxmuscle, Jan 13, 2012.

1. B_bxmuscle

B_bxmuscle New Member

Hegel remarked how cultural productions can express the dominant mood and outlook of a society and people at a given moment in its history, what he called the Zeitgeist (literally the "spirit of the time") of a people.

With that in mind, what recent TV show captures the dominant moment in U.S. culture, and why? Please give a brief explanation for your view.

2. B_bxmuscle

B_bxmuscle New Member

My vote: American Greed, a reality show on CNBC since 2007 about scams, swindles, ponzi schemes, and hustles designed by people who want to get rich quick by cheating other people. Most of the profiled swindlers are bright and talented people who could have done well without breaking the law, but wanted to get really, really rich really really fast with minimal effort. Like the show's narrator says, some people will do anything for money.

Expresses the current moment in America better than anything else in my view.

3. B_stu.kay823

B_stu.kay823 New Member

* Ghost of time

4. dude_007

Gold Member

The Good Wife

A fictional behind-the-scenes look at law, politics, corruption, deception, sex scandals, morality and the power of money

5. Redwyvre

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't watch television, but last weekend I went to "The Muppet Movie" and I had a feeling that this movie captured something essential about our society. Funny how this thread appeared tonight. It was a love story, you know, Kermit and Miss Piggy, and it was a quest to bring friends together to put on a show. Of course greedy bad guys triedto ruin it for everyone, but they didn't succeed. Was just great to in a movie theater listening to everyone laugh and enjoy a puppet show. Some things never change.

#5 Redwyvre, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  6. concupisys

concupisys Active Member

sadly it ended last year, but i have to say 'law & order'.... it perfectly reflects everything about U.S. culture, and it has no bounds as far as demographics, social issues, technology, money or politics are concerned.... it's just a big melting pot of what society likes to call: "progress"....

7. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    Guess the answer would depend solely on the aspect of society each person sees as the dominant cultural moment.

I'd say... The Daily Show with John Stewart. He mocks and smartly analizes not only people in politics..but also in the entertainment world. It's amazing to see how movies/tv shape the way people live and act. *sigh* (Jersey Shore) lol

#7 OCMuscleJock, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. Russ311

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Happy Endings, it is the first show to show what life as how it is for people just turning 30. They represent the successful couple, the guy struggling in his career, the single girl doing well, the single girl not doing well, and the gay guy still in the closet until recently(like myself who came out at 30!). I feel it accurately gives a description of like is for people my age in the way Friends did it for the same age group in the 90's! Now I know it is a sitcom but the episode of the gay character coming out and how even with degrees some of can't fine emplyment shows it isn't easy for us. Even how hard dating is and they way our parents are to us still is To my friends and myself this sitcome accurately portrays my gen with all our faults and our good sides!!

Draft saved Draft deleted