What was your favorite post-debate "SPIN"

stratedude

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well it's been a few hours since the debate and it seems to me that the Obama spin machine is working very well. It was clear during the debate and immediately afterwards that McCain won pretty handily. But then the spinmasters came out hard and fast for Obama (which is expected considering how one-sided most media outlets are).

My favorite spin has to be the old "Obama was supposed to lose really big tonight, and since he didn't, this is a big setback for McCain"

or the derivative, "McCain was expected to hit a grandslam homerun tonight. It didn't happen and now he's in trouble, and going to have to make up ground in the next 2 debates."

LOL, spin baby spin!!

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well from an unbiased point of view, which seems to be rare around here, it looked like McCain wasn't very confident about his current standing with the public. The were both guilty of spinning each other's words, and neither Obama nor McCain seemed very prepared for the first question, which was by far the most important issue right now, which kind of surprised me. All they said was the same bullshit they've been saying for the last week, bullshit that has no substance to it whatsoever. So neither of them have changed their plan about how they are going to handle the office? Seems kind of counter-productive and doesn't show leadership to me. I understand they are trying to manage a campaign, but they could have at least given some thought to what they are going to have to do differently, and Obama needs to be honest; all those things he's been promising are not going to happen anytime soon. Foreign policy is the last thing to be concerned about right now, I hope the economic debate isn't just more politcal posturing. Undecided voters see through the bullshit, we don't want to hear your fucking war stories, and we don't want to hear about that woman you met who has 4 kids and works 2 jobs, we don't vote on pity. Tell us what you are going to do, or you aren't going to get our votes. It's that simple; we're not voting for anybody who won't give us a straight answer about anything. I'm really starting to doubt the public's ability to choose a quality, stand-up, straight forward leader...it's kind of rediculous

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, for all that thought Obama was a light weight on foreign policy, that got put to bed last night (and thats not spin). He stood toe to toe with McCain and proved he deserved to be standing there in the debate.

If anything, McCain underestimated Obama's foreign policy chops. I think McCain won the debate on points, but lost again in the polls. McCain simply doesn't get that America believes we're headed in the wrong direction.

Bottom line; if Obama is the weaker of Obama/Biden on foreign policy? Palin is getting her arse kicked next week.... keep this image in mind, QUAYLE 2.0. Actually, that might be disingenuous to Dan Quayle... he could beat Palin.

stratedude

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Speaking of Biden, did Obama use his name as a crutch as evidence of being strong on Foreign Policy during the debate last night? I thought that sounded almost as bad as Palin telling Katie that she'll get back to her.

D_Davy_Downspout

Account Disabled
Media
Well it's been a few hours since the debate and it seems to me that the Obama spin machine is working very well. It was clear during the debate and immediately afterwards that McCain won pretty handily. But then the spinmasters came out hard and fast for Obama (which is expected considering how one-sided most media outlets are).

My favorite spin has to be the old "Obama was supposed to lose really big tonight, and since he didn't, this is a big setback for McCain"

or the derivative, "McCain was expected to hit a grandslam homerun tonight. It didn't happen and now he's in trouble, and going to have to make up ground in the next 2 debates."

LOL, spin baby spin!!

You're an idiot, and a gullible idiot at that.

If you think that both sides aren't spinning this like a merry-go-round, you have the political understanding of a 4 year old.

Truth is, nobody won anything. Republicans heard what they wanted to hear, as did Democrats.

davec94

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
and Obama needs to be honest; all those things he's been promising are not going to happen anytime soon. Foreign policy is the last thing to be concerned about right now, I hope the economic debate isn't just more politcal posturing. U

Obama did say publically that given the current financial situation and the bailout that he would probably have to delay or slowly phase in his spending. He also advocates bringing back paygo, where all spending needs to be backed up by an increase in revenue or cutting from somewhere else, so at least he seems responsible. And i disagree that foreign policy is not important. i think that is one of the most important things to worry about. alot more important than fucking abortion , gay marriage, or guns.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Obama did say publically that given the current financial situation and the bailout that he would probably have to delay or slowly phase in his spending. He also advocates bringing back paygo, where all spending needs to be backed up by an increase in revenue or cutting from somewhere else, so at least he seems responsible. And i disagree that foreign policy is not important. i think that is one of the most important things to worry about. alot more important than fucking abortion , gay marriage, or guns.

Obama unwilling HINTED that he would have to put things off. He was asked the direct question, but didn't gave a direct yes or no answer. He beat around the bush, and only discussed having to put his plans off for a whole 2 seconds, and proceeded to try and distract viewers from both what he said and the question he was asked. I already know the truth, just be honest, that's all I ask

Neither of the candidates gave very good insight into their foreign policy beliefs. Just the same stuff we've been hearing for the last year. You're going to be my president, enlighten me with your plans and views please

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
People are somehow forgetting that the main focus of this first debate was Foreign Policy. I know how everyone wanted Obama to change the subject (especially towards the Economy), but it's actually a good thing that he didn't try to veer off topic too much. To go on the attack now would have conveyed a message that he can't focus on the subject matter and that would have resulted in more negative responses from his supporters & the media. Besides, the third and final debate is supposed to center around the Economy which IMO will favor Obama tremendously. If he does well on that one, that will be one of the last major impressions made on this contest before we vote.

And as for the independents? No offense, but it's almost to the point that nothing can be said by either party to satisfy you. Even without a detailed, 12 step program declared by any candidate on the issues you're concerned of the most (which are probably the same concerns as everyone else) it's pretty clear what each candidate "promises" to do. I honestly don't know what some of the independents are waiting for when it comes to choosing a candidate. Both Obama & McCain are clearly in opposite corners of the political spectrum, with very little common ground. It's almost like choosing between an apple or an orange. Besides, it did seem as if the independents were getting roused up here and there going by the footage I saw on CNN HD. I'm not speaking for all independents out there, of course. Just curious to know what's going on in some of their minds.

Last edited:

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So do all the people polled. :confused: A poll doesn't tell you how to think, it tells you what other people are thinking.

It tells you what a sample of people are thinking, these samples are so diluted with improper distributions of opinion that they are unreliable, therefore I use my own judgment and ignore what the polls say. As an independent voter, I didn't hear anything of merit last night, and I think I speak for most of us independents

D_Davy_Downspout

Account Disabled
Media
It tells you what a sample of people are thinking, these samples are so diluted with improper distributions of opinion that they are unreliable, therefore I use my own judgment and ignore what the polls say. As an independent voter, I didn't hear anything of merit last night, and I think I speak for most of us independents

Listen, I have no doubt that you know more about polling than people who do it for a living......but my favorite part of your post is saying you speak for most independents based on, I dunno, your broad psychic powers maybe?

Maybe you should stick to just speaking for yourself. I presented a poll, I didn't say it spoke for everyone, but your statement is just silly.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And independents heard nothing...

Love it.

Depends on your polls, most I've seen show them breaking for Obauma, but again, I'm sure there's some ones that contradict that.

MediaCurves.Com - A Service of HCD Research Inc.

Problem is , what counts is undecided and independent in battleground states. Polling ppl in NYC or Orange County, or Chicago... is pointless.. as those states are already done.

Furthermore, any polling numbers looked at in the battleground states are so small in number, toss in margin of error... and it's almost pointless.