What was your first Computer?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mine was an IBM with Windows 3.1 and a 386 processor. I bought it used at a computer repair shop. I think I got it around 1995 or soon after because Windows 95 was already out, but those were too expensive. It has a small hard drive and I think I paid $400 for it.

I could get on AOL, but not on regular websites, they would always freeze when the main page was getting loaded. I found out that it didn't have a sound card while in a chat room and someone dropped a sound.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
A Commodore C64 with a NEC 12" monitor and Okidata dot matrix printer. I still have it in a closet upstairs, including over 200 game and utility disks.

deepwader

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Actual computer? An Amstrad thingy that was neither PC nor Apple -- all the programs for it were written for it alone (I think the WP was called "Locoscript") ...circa 1985. But before that I did have an IBM Selectric -- a "word processor" with a memory that accommodated several pages, but a single-line screen! You could type in dozens of different fonts... but you had to stop and switch the golfball every time you changed. It then typed the paragraphs which you would cut and paste - BUT LITERALLY! - to produce a document.... Happy days of cow gum, scalpels, and, when you got above 20pt., Letraset!

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My first computer was an Apple IIe with DOS 3.3. I remember having to load programs from a disk by typing PR#6. That meant "access port #6" in Applespeak...

Also I knew how to program in Applesoft Basic. A skill that is useless these days. LOL.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I didn't play Colin the Cleaner, I was too busy being a little teddy bear avoiding razor blades - I was rubbish at games, I once stayed up all night trying to finish Manic Miner (it only had twenty levels as I remember) and I still couldn't do it.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A Commodore Vic 20 with a cassette tape drive,

Then a C64 with a 1702 monitor and two 5" floppy drives

OMG! The Commodore Vic20 with the cassette tape drive was the first computer I ever used. A neighbor had it and I learned how to program to get it to say, "Hello Jason!" And I was so excited and mystified. I remember saving the program which was only about 5 lines onto the cassette. Saving it took 20 minutes and loading it to get the program to run took 20 minutes. LOL!

My God, I'm old. And I'm revealing myself as a major class geek, aren't I? :wink:

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I didn't play Colin the Cleaner, I was too busy being a little teddy bear avoiding razor blades - I was rubbish at games, I once stayed up all night trying to finish Manic Miner (it only had twenty levels as I remember) and I still couldn't do it.

Lode Runner was my favorite game. My brother and I spent entire nights creating levels for it and playing.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Texas Instruments TI-1000. YOu hooked it to the TV and programmed with it to do different stuff on the screen. Then you could pop in a cartridge game to it, and play funky games.

the next one was a BLAZING Packard Bell 8 mhz with a TURBO button that took it to 16! WOW. It had a HUGE 256mb hard drive, and 2mb of memory that we paid like $100.00 to upgrade to 4mb too. Dos OS

Following That, Midwest Micro 33mhz DX-2 with a TURBO button, 32mb ram, 2mb video, 3 VESA slots, 2 ISA and only 1 PCI as it was so new.
After I beat the snot out of that 33mhz processor (Which I still have here somewhere), I got at 66mhz DX-2.... I was blazing. Windows 3.11 for workgroups never worked so good.

Third was a Dell Dimension T 450mhz P3...slot 1 BX chipset.
Fourth was my homemade AMD Athlon XP 3200+ system with a GIG of ram. Windows 98 was inspirational, followed by windows 2000.

Fifth, and current, is a LGA 775 Dual Core P4, with 1GB ram, 128mb video, 400 gig of storage, Dual Layer DVD burner, Audigy Platinum sound with audiodrive, VIVO, and other goodies that I threw into it. Windows xp was crazy fast. I'm not going to Vista until they get service pack 1 launched.

Sixth will be when the new mobo's come out, and the new Windows OS is launched. (No..not vista)