What was your first Computer?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In 1994 a friend gave me her old IBM XT with monochromatic screen, modem and a dot matrix printer. Her mother-in-law had paid $100 for it at a rummage sale at Fort Monmouth Army Base in 1990. I have no idea what year it was made but it used real 5" floppy disks to save data. It was kinda cool because I had e-mail through a local provider but I couldn't access the www.

The monochromatic screen background was black but the words printed orange. :smile:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
IBM XT clone with an 8088 & 8087 Math co-processor. Ran @ 4.77 Mhz and a turbo boost key combination that overclocked it to 7 Mhz.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It was a HP laptop that I brought at Circuit City. Damn I had wanted a computer for a long time, so finally I just when for it. I now have a Dell laptop. I now can not see how I did without a computer.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah I can't remember what I did before I had a pc, I've never watched tv much and I still don't, I went out more and read more, but how I filled the rest of the day is a mystery. Probably counting my thongs :)

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
my first computer was a macintosh quadra 800.
it had 64 mb of ram. :) that was alot.lol.

now i use a G4 and an HP.

Cycleman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I learned to program on an ALTAIR 8800B Turnkey with a SOROC IQ120 terminal.
My home computer was a Commodore VIC-20, a Datasette, and a VIC-1520 printer.
(can you tell it was in the 80's?)
My pride and joy is a CBM 8032 with dual drive.
:biggrin1:

fluoro

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A Mac Plus I bought in 1986. With 4 megs of ram and an external 20 meg SCSI hard drive, it revolutionized the graphics industry. It still works! One cool detail - the signatures of the design team are molded on the inside of the case. That computer and a 300 dpi laser printer cost me $12,000 (shudder) - it's amazing what 20+ years has done for computers.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It was some large clunky portable thing long before there were laptops. Had a handle on it like a suitcase, and a small monochromatic red monitor built in. I think it ran DOS, and I could use it to play HardHat Mac, AlleyCat, SpaceWar and a couple other games. My father was issued it at work, I have no idea what it was called, but it was vastly inferior to the IBM 286 with the 20MB hard drive and 16-color EGA monitor, which was the first personal computer I had to myself. Before either of those I think I may have owned an Atari 2600.

I remember my friend's Commodore 64. Whenever we had to wait for it to load up a game we would put a movie on because it would take at least 20 minutes or so. =)

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
the next one was a BLAZING Packard Bell 8 mhz with a TURBO button that took it to 16! WOW. It had a HUGE 256mb hard drive, and 2mb of memory that we paid like $100.00 to upgrade to 4mb too. Dos OS

hahah... I think my cousin Richie had the same exact computer. It also had the Turbo button. When we were playing King's Quest or Leisure Suit Larry on it it would actually make the game run considerably faster if you had the turbo on vs. leaving it off. I don't think Richie had a 256 MB hard drive, though, that is enormous for that era.

One of the most amazing things about Richie's computer was that it had a modem. It was the first one I'd ever seen. We logged into some BBS and played some dumb space pirate text-based game with it.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My other cousin Tom had a computer that literally had no hard drive. It ran on cassette tapes, you always had to have one inserted in order to do anything. He had a graphics program for it which I think had 4 colors to pick from and the resolution was probably 64x32. Literally. The pixels were freaking huge.

The first computer I ever used was a Radio Shack TRS-80 (Trash80) with accessory cassette tape player to program it.

I then got access to an Apple IIe, then various IBM and clone PCs using acoustic couplers to access data services all at long-distance charges and outrageous rates.

The very first computer I purchased all on my own, however, was a Zenon P133 with the Diamond Edge 3D card (which nobody ever wrote much of anything for :mad:) and 256MB of RAM. It was top of the line with Windows 95! Oh I was styling! Could access all the cool BBSes, Yanoff's list, and search with WAIS, Archie, and Veronica with ease and view it all on my beautiful 15" monitor. Could play Leisure Suit Larry, Monkey Island, and Civ, too!

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The first computer I owned was a Zeos 486 66DX2 purchased in the early 1990s. As I recall, "DX2" meant the CPU ran at twice the bus speed. I think it had 16MB of RAM. I do remember: a "2x" cd-rom drive, ~425MB HD, and two floppy drives, 3in and 5in. I also remember a "VESA" bus but I forgot what that was.

I thought it was "fast" when running MSDOS but not so fast when running OS/2

The first computer I used was an IBM 1620 set up in a college computer lab. It was a 1950s computer with 20,000 bytes of magnetic "core" memory, a card reader/punch combo, and a printer derived from an electric typewriter. No other devices!

The programs were written in machine language and there was no operating system. The make programming easier the memory addresses were decimal, starting at 0, running through 19,999. Arithmetic was also decimal. So programming in machine language wasn't as difficult as you might think.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The first computer we had at the house was a Radio Shack word processor thing that my dad got from work. My programming highlight was finding a way to draw on its screen like an Etch-A-Sketch (it might have been in the user manual, or maybe I read about it somewhere). He'd transmit pages back to work over a separate modem that had the big foam cups, which is where you'd stick the phone handset.

The first computer I used at school was a black Apple II. This was in 5th grade (so... 1981?), and I got lucky by lottery drawing and attended a science/computer magnet school. The main computer lab had maybe 30-40 Apple II's, and there were carts carrying computers & monitors around the rest of the building -- although we may have had enough to have a computer in every room.

My parents got a used 386 of some kind with Windows 3.1 from a friend. I don't think they ever really found a use for it, though.

I used school computers of various types all the way into college, and never truly had a reason to own one myself. When graduation loomed (in 2000; I took my time!), I realized that I couldn't just keep using the school labs for everything, so I finally bought my own computer -- a first-gen blueberry iBook (300 MHz, 3 GB, 160 MB, 4 MB video).

I bought it in the fall semester of 1999, then got the AirPort wireless card & base station over Christmas, so I've been doing wireless internet for almost eight full years now. Apart from the battery not holding a charge, it still works, with its RAM bumped up to 540 MB and running Mac OS 10.2. Maybe someday I'll put in a new battery, bigger HD and the latest OSX that supports it.

It still can't do a lot of the things that my new 15" MacBook Pro does with ease, though. ;)

My parents got a grape iMac (266 MHz?) and ran that sucker into the ground, getting a new monitor installed at one point, then a larger hard drive, until they finally were overextending it, wanting to store & edit digital video. They got an iMac G5 a couple Christmases ago, justifying it (and, finally, broadband internet) with home movies and the ability to easily video chat with my sister's family in Germany.