What was your first real job?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Excluding cutting neighbors lawns and paper routes, what was you first job? How did you get it? How old were you?

I sold lawn mowers at Sears at 16 after school and on weekends. It was either lawn mowers or the shoe department. I chose the garden shop because I didn't have to get dressed up in a tie to work there. I believe the interview consisted of an aptitude test (simple math mostly) and a brief talk with the HR lady. I guess you can't be picky when you pay minimum wage so I was hired. After 2 years of that I knew what I didn't want to do after high school even with the 10% employee discount on clothes.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Bagging groceries in a supermarket for $2 something an hour.(I think $2.45) I was only 15, but I bumped up my birthdate on the job application by 4 months to make me sweet 16. A few weeks later I confessed to the manager and he told me it was okay. I just wasn't allowed to work until the store closed until I turned 16, so that was cool. I saved up and bought my first car before I even had my license.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My first job with taxes and the such being removed from the gross pay; was, working in a church office as an assistant to the minister and his secretary. Dreadfully boring job as there were long hours with nothing to do. It was a summertime job obtained through some summer youth work program (low income was the big requirement) and I was 15 at the time. They asked me back the following summer under the same circumstances, I refused and instead took a job at a coffee shop as a stock/cleaner/delivery boy which I held on to part time through my last year of high school.

jorpollew

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I got my first job when I was 16 as an usher at a movie theater.** At that time my parents were going through a divorce, and my mom could not afford to pay my high school tuition. I loved my high school so much that I was determined not to transfer. So, every week I gave 2/3rds of my paycheck to the school business office. It gave me some responsibility, and I've paid for every penny of my education since then, including college and grad school.

**I saw the movie "Network" over 300x (1976, w/ Faye Dunaway, Peter Finch & Bill Holden).

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I got my first job at 16. I worked in food service at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ. Minimum wage was $3.35 an hour. :smile:

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Laying brick for my best friends dad and yes i said brick :biggrin1: it was a very hard, hot job in that awfull Texas heat/humidity

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Customer Service Rep, I was the youngest the company ever hired (16).

Switched to a few companies in that job range, was an EMT for a while now im a Customer Service Tech again. :-/

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Worked at the local grocery store. They only paid minimum wage whatever that was at the time back in '78, I was 14. I bugged the crap out of them, went every week to see if they needed any help, finally on a Saturday morning they called and told me to be there in an hour.

You should be ashamed and embarrassed if you didn't want to. As that's not the situation, you've got nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure nobody would trade a job for true illness.

I've never had a real job. Though it's largely due to illness and a little to do with opportunity, I'm still ashamed and embarassed by that fact. :redface:

My first job was as a market research interviewer; one of those annoying people in the mall who try to get you to do surveys. I walked-in, asked for a job, they gave me one. Got to know everyone so well and they liked me so much that any time I was home from school on vacation I had a job waiting for me. Could take as much time off as I wanted.

It didn't pay a lot but I worked with nice people and actually enjoyed coming in to work. I too saved enough for my first new car, a blue 1984 Honda Civic Wagon with RT-AWD. Outstanding car that went anywhere and got great mileage. Only option was air conditioning and floor mats. It didn't even come with a stereo. I had to wait for Christmas to get that.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
My first job was during the summer after I turned 16. For $1 per hour I worked in a department store chain's main office extending invoices, microfilming bills and handling the mail for all 28 stores.

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
detasseling corn at 11 years old. If that isn't good enough. My senior year of HS I worked at an apple orchard in the fall then I worked as a Dishwasher, Waitress, and Cook at a resturant before getting a Phlebotomy job after I graduated.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
telemarketing for crime-stoppers.. ti was horrible cold callign from slips cut out fo the phone book.. I could only take 3 months. $5 an hour... 75 cents above min wage at the time.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
My first job was working at my dad's boatshop the summer I was 14. I was the clean-up boy and everybody's slave. I worked there nearly every summer until I graduated from university.
During my junior year in high school I worked at McDonald's for two months until I got fired. The manager said it was my long hair and bad attitude. But I always figured it was because I wouldn't go to the parties he held at his house for the boys. He was gay and a real creep and I wanted nothing to do him. My old man just laughed. I still hate McD's food to this day.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My first "job" was selling cartoons I had drawn. I was 9 years old. Kept myself in Coke and candy for the summer.

Many years later, uh, oh.... same job.....!!!!