What was your last computer problem?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, May 26, 2008.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Mine crashed a few weeks ago and I could not get help from Gateway because it was a few days over a year that I got the thing. Luckily I turned it on in safe mode and was able to do a system restore from just a few days earlier.

Today I had a problem where I wanted to copy a DVD that was made on a DVD recorder on to my hard drive. Well, the files are split into audio and video and I could not do it. I had to download a program. It did not work and then I downloaded another program and it worked (but copied the items to and 'image" file that Media player would not play). Finally I was able to download a VLC player to play the file.

2. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    problems getting older games to be compatible with vista on my son's laptop.

3. dc9

dc9
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I cant save or upload an AVI video file either on my computer or on the Gallery page.

4. Rommette

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    needed a new motherboard twice and the fan inside was malfunctioning

5. invisibleman

Gold Member

My dilemma was: Trying to input spreadsheet data into a database. It is data that I need for my job. I copied all of this information and I needed it put in permanently into my database program.

I don't have Microsoft Office. Too expensive. But I bought Office Suite 2007 last year for 20 US dollars at WALMART it is Microsoft Office compatible.

More about my problem: So, I had this Microsoft EXCEL file of spreadsheet data and I wanted to import all of that data into Open Office Base (which is database management software. I finally figured how to do that. And I saved data report as a PDF file that could be read in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Thanks to Office Suite 2007 it has PDF creation software in the package. All for 20 dollars, you get Word Processing / Spreadsheet/ Database/ A Powerpoint type program and PDF file creation. And you can save in all the Microsoft Office file formats.

6. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I pretty much stay problem free. I defragment, do disc clean up, scan for spyware etc a couple of times a week. I also clean and defragment the regisrty often. when dealing with video and mp3's (downloading in general you are inviting all kinds of spyware and trojans. If you do the things i mentioned you will see the difference. Most of the new computers have the option of restoring everything to factory settings by simply pressing F11 on start up. I think its F11 i will check.

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Somebody told me to press F11 on startup and my ass fell off.

8. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

No thats F8 LOL Hey thats nothing i know a guy who had a pacemaker operation. They put it in wrong. Every time he farts the garage door flys open.:biggrin1:

9. transformer_99

Gold Member

By and large, dust bunny cleanings. Somewhat related, $ 20 psu's die every now and then (dust buildup inside and single voltage rails degrades to the point of erratic bsod's and reboots). I did upgrade a notebook recently and the memory stick I bought lasted 45 minutes after installing it. I ran a few benchmarks and burn-in programs to test it for errors initially, that way if it's going to go under a load, I know early on and can get a replacement). Moral of that story, while cheap memory can work, get better quality and name brand memory.

10. Reallyonlyme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My current annoyance is the new version of skype which works fine, but if I dare to tell it to shutdown/exit, it takes windows explorer (the whole task bar at the bottom) with it!

I have to open task manager and terminate it to make it go away and leave explorer running... Trouble is I don't often remember to do that until too late. D'oh!

11. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Computer problems?? What's that??
    I run Fedora Core 8. There's never a problem.

12. Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann New Member

Albums:
    My last computer problem was the last time I used a Windows machine. I haven't had that problem for a few years now :biggrin1:

13. bignfloppy

bignfloppy Member

I would say that my last computer problem was simply my last computer. It was a Dell laptop that gave me problems from day one. I couldn't tell you how many hours of my life were wasted on the phone with Dell. It had a bad hard drive that they replaced after the second time it crashed, I had problems with my display that were never solved, even with the replacement of the display and then the motherboard, then it wouldn't charge and they told me it needed another new motherboard. At this point I'd had it for 3 years and it was no longer under warranty and I didn't want to spend one cent on it, so I bought a Mac and I've had no problems since. Best decision I've ever made. I love it!

14. No_Strings

Gold Member

PSU died.

15. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Control, Alt, Delete (All at the same time) I think I learned that when I had Windows 3.1.

Vista does something weird when you do that, it does not go to the task manager directly, it gives you an option of 5 things to do. But if you right click the task bar you can click on task manager directly.

16. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can't find a way to run a certain program at a higher processor priority at program start. Arrgh, vista makes me so mad it gives me eye twitches! Which is why at the present I'm typing this on OSX86 and Camino .8.

17. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

My biggest computer problem is anything with the word "Microsoft" attached to it.
    Always a problem, always ugly, always the least they can get away with...

18. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

The sound card in my pc died and i'm going through murder trying to get it replaced.

19. Hellboy0

Gold Member

Albums:
    Have a Mac...had had Mac's for the past 19 years. And with the exception of running out of memory, I don't get problems.

At all.

Ever.

HA!

(that's me being a bit superior as if I'm the one actually computing not the machine..hehehe)

20. bbristow

bbristow New Member

Albums:
    i had the motherboard replaced last march... and the timing was perfect, as i had an assignment due that week, and the files were saved in the laptop..

Draft saved Draft deleted