What was your worst vacation you ever took?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Aug 19, 2008.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

Where did you go and why did it turn out so bad?

2. D_Rod Staffinbone

D_Rod Staffinbone Account Disabled

a trip to seattle w/ my now ex-wife. you name it it went wrong. i had an ear infection, felt sick and dizzy on the ferry to the seldom rainy (till our trip) san juan islands.
    we met up with my mom (a bad idea from the start) who felt sick
    if she had to ride in the back seat of the rental car. bad weather. hotel
    reservations seriously messed up.

a quick jaunt up to victoria, canada. sorry, i know canada's got some great cities, but victoria just isn't one of them.
    made worse when i couldn't find our return ticket stub given to us at the
    border crossing (this was before 9/11, and we crossed into canada without passports). this caused us to be detained at the border for at least an extra hour.

my then wife also got pink eye, couldn't wear her contacts,
    had forgotten to bring her glasses and was extra bitchy, on top of her
    regular bitchy. even became hysterical one day at lunch when she needed me to read the menu to her. and the visit to the doctor for the pink eye which took nearly a day.

oh, there's more. those are just the highlights.

oh yeah, the last day the sheraton seattle put us in a smoking room, we complained, they gave us a non-smoking room with a leaky toilet and a carpet that smelled like raw sewage. this is all true.

#2 D_Rod Staffinbone, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  3. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

I went on a ski trip. A peep on the plane coughed all over me, and gave me the plague. I spent the whole trip in my hotel room, and almost wound up in the hospital. My doctor told me to wear a dust mask on the plane at all times.

4. earllogjam

Gold Member

I went to Oahu for 2 weeks - first time in Hawaii. The house we rented was in a rural area on the North Shore where wild roosters woke us up at 3:30 in the morning every day. Found out that they were not actually wild but escaped chickens just roaming around. The funky bed smelled of mildew, it was 95F and HUMID and it rained for 3 days straight. Took the hike up to Diamond Head and fainted on the last stairs to the ridge because I wasn't used to climbing is such heat and humidity. When I came to I was surrounded by a Mormon missionary group who helped me and promptly started proselytizing. Ugh. Went snorkeling in Hanuma (sp?) Bay and found out that all the coral had been ruined by tourists and that most of the exotic larger fish no longer could exist there. Got propositioned by several prostitutes walking in Waikiki Beach which is just one t-shirt, and kitschy souvenir shop after another. I got 3 days of the runs eating loco moco at a local restaurant - can't say I'm into Hawaiian cuisine -hamburger patty over sticky rice with tons of gravy and 2 scoops of macaroni salad nor a big fan of Spam which seems to be everywhere there - yuck.

We decided to take an unplanned trip to the Big Island for a few days since Oahu was such a tourist trap and it was better, much better. But had to toss out some shoes as the soles melted walking over the fresh lava flows.

5. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is why I now always travel with a pair comfortable soundproof headphones, the type that jet engine mechanics wear. The headphones do a great job of blocking out unwanted sounds like roosters, street noise, room-mate snoring, and the inevitable all-night party that always seems to happen in the hotel room right next to mine.

6. earllogjam

Gold Member

I now carry without fail on every trip I take those spongy bright orange ear plugs that you squeeze and then expand in your ear canal. They have been a trip saver on many occasions. Much more comfortable and lighter than headphones but nothing, nothing could block out the sound of 5 roosters crowing 10 feet from your bedroom window.

A good night's sleep is so underrated as one of THE most important parts of enjoying your vacation. That's why I don't do the Motel 6 thing anymore.

7. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Do you not know how to ring ones neck?

8. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

My biggest vacation mistake was going to the Bahamas in the middle of December. There was a huge cold wave in the Northeast and it was 15 degrees. In the Bahamas it was in the low 70's. A bit cold for the beach. The water in the Ocean was too cold to go into. The pool was not heated either.

9. Runco

Runco New Member

That would be the one where I went to Jamaica for a month and got caught up in a hurricane. To make matters worse, the part of Jamaica that I was staying at for most of my holiday - Mandeville (in Manchester) is known locally as swampland. I made the mistake of drinking tap water and I became very ill with 'Delhi belly'. Then to top it all off there were mosquitoes that ate me alive and passed on some swamp illness that left me with a constant low-grade fever, night sweats and delirium. All in all I lost about 45lbs in the 4 week period, which of course left me skeletal and weak. My poor mother found herself having to wash me long past the age where she should have had to because I couldn't do anything for myself. I had to be carried onto the plane and accompanied by a doctor when I was eventually well enough to fly back to England (thank God for my mother and insurance is all I can say!). Then when I got back to England, all my skin sloughed off!

Can you believe I remember that holiday with fondness despite all of this!

Then there was that time I went on a two week holiday with the former in-laws and ended up with tonsils that were so inflamed I was unable to eat for the duration (so I lived on soup, water, salt water gargles and paracetamol). When I eventually got back home the word that could have been used to describe me was 'skeleton' (I lost 30lbs on that occasion). The irony was I became ill every time I went on holiday with my ex's family. After the third time I wised up and decided to go on separate holidays thereafter! :smile:

10. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

it was a business trip to Tampa/Clearwater Florida, not a vacation. Left the airport in a rental car in the worst downpour I've ever been in. the air conditioner couldn't cope with the humidity.

Major storm made it almost impossible to see. lightning struck, and closed, the Courtney Campbell Causeway (bridge) fifteen minutes after I crossed it. got to the intersection where the Holiday Inn was supposed to be, and couldn't see it because of the rain. got to the parking lot and sat in the car for a 20 minute deluge. Went to check in and found the people I was to meet left a message saying they went to dinner without me.

the mosquitos nearly picked me up and tossed me into the pool in my clothes. never had to go back.

at least I was being paid...

11. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    went to williamsburg VA once...was supposed to stay for a week...
    it rained all day every day...

12. canuck_pa

Gold Member

I've got two bad ones.

1. Went to visit a friend who had moved to Toronto. I got food poisoning or something on the flight. I was sick as a dog and didn't know which end it was going to come out of. To top it off, their toilets was all plugged up.

2. Went to Mexico the day after Christmas. I was meeting a friend Oaxaca (spelling?) then flying to Puerto Escondido. The plane we were scheduled to take to Puerto Escondido wasn't available so the airline (if you could call having one plane an airline) put all the passengers in small private planes. We were in a little 4 setter. When we took off, the pilot kept looking back like something was wrong. Straight ahead were some high mountains. The last thing we saw before getting into the clouds were the mountains which were higher than we were flying. So we get there and a few days later was New Years Eve. We went to the party at the hotel where I definitely got food poisoning and was very sick for 4 days. On a positive note, I lost 15 pounds.

13. Mr Ed in Mass

Gold Member

Massachusetts,The most corrupt of the 57 states.
    In 1970,I took a year long vacation in the resort country of Viet Nam.

Draft saved Draft deleted