What were they thinking

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
Oddly enough, sometimes posting can be overkill given the discussion occuring at the time. We had 2 or 4 threads going on arguing for or against the Bush administration. (... a battle against the march of the inflammatory trolls). If this coincident development were added to those discussions, it only would have given the trolls more fuel.

Yep, there are some striking contrasts to be made with how the British soldiers were treated vs. the Guantanamo and Abu Graib detention centers. If you capture 15 British soldiers (people that Bush can most readily identify with), we get an international scandal in a matter of days. The White House calls it "a hostage crisis". Yet, if you have 50x that number of British soldiers in Iraq held at Guantanamo, the White House deems it as necessary to fight terror - still, after 5 years... (... Even with the antics of Iran's Ahmadinejad?? , I'm glad to see the British troops have been returned, though, without a military fall-out).

Apparently, no one advised Bush to refrain from comment to prevent criticism about Guantanamo...

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It looks like a very straightforward news account. Where do you see anything which would appeal to the anti-Bush rantbots?

Nothing specific in that article but the reason I mentioned a little surprise was because it related to Iran, UN sanactions and thus [indirectly] Nukes all of which attracted much previous comment here, and when Bush put in his 2p still no one commented.

I guess I shouldn't have been because when it does not directly concern US citizens or corrupt US politicians few here pay attention.:rolleyes:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am glad the British soldiers were returned unharmed. The US does not hold a patent on propaganda, other nations do it just as much.

Despite the anti-American sentiments I have posted in recent years, it's not because I think the other nations in this war are better, most of them are actually quite a bit more violent. The thing I'M mad about is that I hold US (pun intended) to a higher standard, and I think we're actually capable of achieving that standard.

We're performing below potential, and it just doesn't have to be that way.
We bring shame on ourselves when we employ the tactics of barbarians, and for that there really is no justification.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am glad the British soldiers were returned unharmed. The US does not hold a patent on propaganda, other nations do it just as much.

Very true, saddest thing is that many of their citizens don't see it for what it is, propoganda.

Despite the anti-American sentiments I have posted in recent years, it's not because I think the other nations in this war are better, most of them are actually quite a bit more violent. The thing I'M mad about is that I hold US (pun intended) to a higher standard, and I think we're actually capable of achieving that standard.

I've expressed plenty myself, well not so much anti-American as anti-American policy, I also hold my own nation to a higher standard than many of those we're embroiled with, otherwise why are we even having such discussions as this. Whether that standard is acheivable.....

We're performing below potential, and it just doesn't have to be that way. We bring shame on ourselves when we employ the tactics of barbarians, and for that there really is no justification.

Again, this is not something the US has a monopoly on. The delusional attitude of politicians, our increasing cynicism and collective intransigence as humans is responsible for the mess[es] our societies are becoming. I don't know how to reverse that trend, but I do know that in recent years I wake up feeling positive far less often than I recall doing so in the past, and when I do I seldom go to bed feeling the same way.