What will happen?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Notaguru2, Dec 16, 2008.

?

Where will we be?

1. The US will have rebounded

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Approaching 20% unemplyment

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. The greatest depression the US has ever known

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Not much worse than we are now

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  5. Brilliant glimpses of recovery seen everywhere

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Let's see... here's where the US is as we speak:

1. Admission from Fed that we've been in a recession since Dec 2007.

2. The Fed cut interest rates AGAIN today. The target interest rate is now 0% - .25%! Can we really make money this way?

3. Evidence of deflation entering into the fray. No one believed we were in a recession, but they better be weary of the deflationary signs.

4. Banking bailout

5. Auto bailout (they'll still wind up getting something)

6. $50B ponzi scheme right under the nose of the SEC. More losses for banks.

7. Relative retail sales at its lowest in more than a generation.

8. On going military support in Iraq

9. A new afghan offensive coming

10. Double digit unemployment foretold of this week

So, I ask... where do you think we'll be this time next year?

2. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:

Um... for one... do you have a clue on how to calculate/determine recession...? Pathetic to throw out "admission" from the Fed. Numbers are numbers... armchair economists can speculate we are (and/or were in a recession), but it's a simple formula... quit trying to lay some Fed or FOMC conspiracy crap. Seriously.

3. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Peanuts in terms of what happened, and how it happened. This area is one of the most unsupervised of the SEC realm, and for good reason.

Last I checked... (sorry for the 99.996% of LPSG who isn't), but hey, if you are an accredited investor you musta been smart enough to be worth $1M with $200k/yearly income to jump into an unregulated investment instrument seeking exuberant returns and instead got anal'd w/ no lube and now are boohooey to want the SIPC to cover them, cause AIG and GM got saved...

I've dived into shit like this... and lost everything, with a couple home runs. That is how it works. Sorry ppl laid a lot down on this. You don't cry foul when the refs blow the call on a Super Bowl PI call. These aren't retirement accounts of $40K.

horseshit.. typical liberal "gov't come save me shit... " we knew there was a hurricane risk, now save us. bullshit.

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ Who pulled his tail?

5. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Yes, its based on GDP.

6. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Who are you angry with? I didn't make this shit up. You better wake up.

7. D_Diesel Oyl

D_Diesel Oyl New Member

I think this whole thing now is about confidence. If the average American is scared they will lose their job, they are not going to buy a lot of stuff. We are a consumer-driven economy, thus we are in for some tough shit. And I don't know what pops us out of it.

A lot of businesses are holding on until after Christmas/New Years, then they will start seriously reorganizing, laying off, etc.

I'm glad I have a job.

8. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Here's a sign of the times; I live in a modest sized city, Knoxville, TN and it's very conservative. We've always viewed our city as one that buffers itself from what happens nationally. We've always seemed to take care of ourselves. Even 9/11 didn't have an economic impact on us. Fast forward...

Once a week now, our local talk radio show that syndicates Limbaugh, Hannity, etc. started having a call-in show for employers that have jobs available. This is a clear sign that jobs are being lost and gainful employment even tougher to come by.

9. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

There really isn't any way to know you are in a recession until you are already over 2 quarters in...by definition.

I think you're referring to Fed Funds. This just shows that they are running out of tools to use. This cut doesn't help the consumer much.

It will probably turn back into inflation when we start printing money.

This was a smoke and mirrors show really. Shored up the banks, but they haven't loosened credit at all. Zero. America now has a bunch of preferred stock in banks. Yippitteefuckingdooda.

. Boy, they really need to go through B/K. They can get out of thier associations, etc, reorganize their labor force.

A real tragedy for his clients. Won't hurt anybody else.

It'll get worse.

More $$

Gonna be ugly for a while. Americans will have a major shift....from living on debt....to paying cash for items. Long term, it will give us a more fundamentally solid economy.

My guess...this time next year we'll be coming out of this nasty storm. To those in the market for a home...congrats - the cheapest real estate you will ever see in your lifetimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted