What will Nader Announce on Meet The Press?

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I really don't know why people feel Nader is not electable, ...
:rofl:

Maybe because he's run twice and lost twice??? The second time he only got a fraction of what he got the first time.

He appears to a lot of people to be egotistical and self-aggrandizing. I find him to be that, plus phoney.

My prediction: he'll get even less this time around.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Maybe because he's run twice and lost twice??? The second time he only got a fraction of what he got the first time.

It's far worse: he's run and lost four times. This is his fifth campaign.

(However, to be fair, his first campaign was solely a write-in campaign, for which he spent less than $5000.)

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's far worse: he's run and lost four times. This is his fifth campaign.
I forgot about the earlier ones. *I need to start taking memory enhancement pills.*

Is five a record? I know that someone else has run four times but I don't remember his name.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Is five a record?

Depends on how far down the quack list you're wanting to go. Harold Stassen sought the Republican Party nomination nine times and lost every time, so he never competed in the general election. Earl Dodge ran six times as the nominee of the Prohibition Party, which still has ballot access in a couple of states, and had begun his seventh presidential campaign before he died.

B_becominghorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This is excellent, from the NYTimes today:

Mr. Nader’s Unforgivable Wrong

By Ron Klain
With Ralph Nader’s announcement of a fourth (or maybe fifth) run for president, it is worth taking a minute to recall his most infamous previous campaign: his 2000 presidential bid. The rosy and imprecise glow of memory might lead one to remember it as a well-intentioned effort to make a point that simply went awry. But such a view is far, far more benign than the reality of the Nader 2000 campaign, and therefore a review of that effort is in order to put his current campaign in context.
When I made a passing, disparaging reference to Mr. Nader’s 2000 campaign in an earlier post on this blog, it drew a lot of negative comments, accusing me of wrongly blaming Mr. Nader for the Bush presidency. As a logical matter, in an election as close as 2000, and decided as oddly as it was, it is hard to point to any one thing as the “but for” cause of the result.
But the fact that the Nader vote was larger than the Gore-Bush margin of difference — not just in Florida, but also in New Hampshire — is grating and significant. So let’s just put it this way, as neutrally as possible: while there are several reasons why Al Gore was not sworn in on Jan. 20, 2001, one of them certainly is because Ralph Nader drew votes that would have given Mr. Gore the election — in not just one state, but two — making Katherine Harris, dimpled chads and the Supreme Court wholly irrelevant.
But, some Nader sympathizers object, who could have known back then that Mr. Nader’s campaign would help throw the presidency to George Bush? Who could have seen it coming? The answer is that Mr. Nader did, which is why he initially promised supporters that he would not campaign in swing states or take other steps that might make him the “spoiler” in the race – a promise he inexplicably broke, to the chagrin of many environmentalists, in the final weeks of the campaign.
The risk that Mr. Nader might cost Mr. Gore the election was so well understood that one of the country’s most creative progressives, Jamin Raskin, hatched an elaborate plan to try to minimize this risk while preserving a chance for Naderites to make their voices heard — a plan that Mr. Nader refused to back. There’s simply no escaping the fact that Mr. Nader knew the risks he was taking, and did not care, believing that a vote for Mr. Gore was a vote for Mr. Bush, and that there were “few major differences” between the two major party candidates.
And that’s not the worst of it.
Even more inexcusably, there were indications that Mr. Nader not only knew that his campaign might throw the election to Mr. Bush, he actually preferred this result. As he told The Times, in a piece that ran on Nov. 1, 2000, under the headline “Nader Sees a Bright Side to a Bush Victory,” Mr. Nader believed that a “bumbling Texas governor would galvanize the environmental community as never before.” He said that “the Sierra Club doubled its membership under James Watt.” This view, which was rejected by the president of the Sierra Club, nonetheless won some credence among Nader followers, making the recent efforts by Mr. Nader to reject any responsibility for President Bush’s victory in 2000 all the more disingenuous and incredible.
And still, that’s not the worst of it.
For what remains unforgivable in my view are the harsh, mean-spirited, hugely wrong and unfair things he told voters about Al Gore in 2000. Even if one believes that Mr. Nader’s electoral impact was an unintended result, his words in the 2000 campaign were carefully chosen weapons and horribly deceptive ones. They included:
These statements weren’t accidents or unintended consequences: they were wrong in 2000 and are unbelievably wrong today. Of course, given the acclaim by the world community, Al Gore hardly needs me to defend his record.
Even Mr. Nader must know in his heart that he was wrong about Mr. Gore eight years ago. And yet, as far as I know, Mr. Nader has never retracted his earlier statements, never apologized, never admitted error. Why any voter would listen to a candidate today who was so profoundly misguided before is beyond me.
There was a time when Ralph Nader was my hero. As a young staffer on Capitol Hill in the early 1980s, I was working on a pro-consumer amendment to telecommunications legislation when my phone rang. Ralph Nader was on the line. I was awestruck.
“You’re doing great work,” he told me, “keep doing the right thing.”
Ralph Nader should heed that same advice now and abandon his futile and convoluted 2008 campaign. And whatever else he does this year, an apology for the misguided direction he gave in 2000 is the very least he owes the nearly three million voters who supported him — and the rest of us who have lived with the consequences ever since

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The sentence you clipped out answers your question: "I find him to be that, plus phoney."

Phoney, he only sucessfully beat GM's team of lawyers. Reread the wiki, he has an Ivy League pedigree. What's different about that from the other Presidential candidates ?

Regarding the wiki, this was my favorite:

"Nader owns no car or real estate, and says he lives on US$25000 a year"

under the personal finances section. He lives off less than most working class earn ?

Tsimshan

Just Browsing
Media
I find the Democrats in this thread absolutley laughable if they honestly believe Hilbama will enact some great amount of change. The Wallstreet journal just released a report saying the Democrats have out raised the Republicans in terms of corporate donors.

Besides get over the 2000 election already. Did you know 250,000 registered Democrats voted for Bush in Florida? Lol it's pathetic if you think Mr. Nader's 97,000 votes made more of a difference than that. Gore couldn't even win his own state and that had nothing to do with Mr.Nader

Perhaps you people should stop whinning already and realize your party is on the verge of collapse. Clinton was the only Democrat elected to be President in just about three decades. The Democrats have increasingly marginalized a true progressive agenda and are merely the puppets of corporate America. The Democrats and Republicans have done nothing but destroy America since they took their modern form. I ask Democrats what exaclty has their Congress done since the Dems took over the Senate and House?

As it is Mr.Nader is already polling 6% and it is unlikely to decline. This could very well be the beginning of a resurgence of progressive values that were crushed by the Democrats in 2004. Besides Have you ever seen Mr.Nader speak? He has far more charisma than Bush,Kerry,Clinton.etc.