What would a perfect America be like?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah? Scary to think about all the possibilities isn't it?

In this time of reactionary governing from the war in Iraq, a nuclearized Iran, global warming, the growing gap between the haves and have nots in our country, homeless families, a precarious oil based economy, it's hard to sort out the shit and clutter and find out what we all want to strive for as a country.

Somehow I think we lost our dreams, our determination, our motivation in our deeply divided country. Are we turning into a nation of lazy, overweight, dumb, apathetic citizens, and uninspired complainers? Are we the product of living in a place where we are constantly told to be dissatisfied which what you are, what you have, what you look like, a dark side to capitalism. Do we see ourselves with pure objectivity or are we deluding ourselves thinking we have already made it or well on the way?

What are our dreams for this country? What are we striving for? What are our goals? Or is it just about survival these days? Are most people struggling to get by that there is no room for dreams? Or have we all retreated into our private lives, separate communities, a scattered plurality with a "the rest can fend for themselves" view of the country? But it's plain that we all see ourselves as cohesive Americans as evidenced by the 911 attacks.

What would a perfect America be like? Where do we go from here? Is America now as good as it gets?

wordz

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
haven't read what u wrote but jus from the headin
u wud say
kak

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What would a perfect America be like? Where do we go from here? Is America now as good as it gets?

without reading any of the other posts first, my vision of a better America (while trying to remain at least somewhat within the bound of reality):

-a political dialogue not dominated on both sides by completely biased partisan bickering and lying TV and radio pundits/political hacks; cantidates (much more than two) that run campaigns based on ideas as opposed to fear mongering, smear tactics, and political party affiliation- and that who, once elected, delegate power based on merit and not party loyalty, who work toward the greater good of ALL their citizens as opposed to becoming myopic polarizing idealogues; a more limited executive branch so local politics actually matter some in the greater scheme of things; a government not so entirely consumed by corporate monies, special interest groups, and the military-industrial complex.
-a people better educated, more worldly, less ego- and ethnocentric, less racist, less ignorant, more concerned with their place in the world and in history.
-legalized gay marriage
-legalized marijuana, but stiffer penalties for those that use this substance, alcohol, or any other in an irresponsible or dangerous way.
-every Tuesday should be free ice cream day
-a culture less influenced by 18th century puritanical twats living in New England. i.e. more open and comfortable about nudity, sexuality, et cetera. A society and people that embrace sexuality as something positive, not something to be ashamed of and hidden away, not something lewd and racy to be exploited in advertising.
-an abolition of the FCC and the MPAA, or at least a healthy restructuring.
-a court system that makes sense. Clearer laws, clearer penalties, not a system based on centuries of arcane precedent there to be exploited by overpriced lawyers to aid the super rich, clearer tax laws, fewer (none) laws against victimless crimes (sodomy, gay sex, prostitution, certain drugs, ridiculously low speed limits, etc)
-for that matter... no speed limits, or limits posted that are reasonable (what most people drive at). This is actually safer, if everyone is driving at the same speed as opposed to some at reasonable safe speeds and others trying to drive slower to stay within the speed limit. An end to the stupid kangaroo court and illegal tax revenue collection system that is traffic court in this country- if you want to collect revenues to it legally and fairly- tax gasoline or put up more tollways. Take these asshat traffic cops and put them to use actually doing something useful- tracking down murderers, stopping robberies, or if you insist on putting them on the street, then give out tickets that make sense. i.e. for driving like a complete asshole maniac, tailgating, cutting people off, etc. Not doing 80 on the freeway when there is no other traffic around. a complete restructuring of the DMV while you are at it.
-less insincerity. say what you mean.
-distributing SPAM or spyware should be a felony offense. Wasting paper to send out stupid junkmail that more than 98% of the recepients don't want should be a misdemeanor. Having a sales department that is staffed 400-500% better than your customer service department or forcing customers to navigate through 30 minutes of computer prompts every time they call before talking to a real person should be punishable by a stiff fine.
-Stupid-ass commercials on TV that have absolutely nothing at all to do with the product they are selling, are not funny or entertaining, or are otherwise completely and totally misleading should be banned. I should be the one in charge of deciding what constitutes a stupid, pointless, or misleading commercial.
-Regulated insurance. At least health and auto. Reasonable premiums for everyone who works or does something useful.
-the introduction of something other than grease as a new staple for the American diet.
-banning the practice of circumcision. More so the idiots on LPSG would shut the fuck about it than because of any actual concern for babies losing some loose skin at the end of their dick.
-overturning of hate crime legislation, most affirmative action legislation, and other anti-racism laws that are inherently racist themselves. Since point number 2 above says there will be no more racism, they won't any longer be necessary.
-less military spending
-increased checks on the executive branch's power to wage war.
-Michael Bay, Don Murphy, Jerry Bruckheimer, Roland Emmerich, Dean Devlin, and Paul W.S. Andersen should all be summarily executed.
-a more intelligent prison system
-a more equitable and intelligent education system

okay that's all I got for right now.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Most of the above looks ok to me (I especially like the free ice cream day), and some would apply here also. I would add that a perfect US would also be one that respected the fact that it makes up 5% (or less) of the world population and that not every other nation chooses to share their concept of perfection.

In other worlds on foreign policy; seek to participate not dominate.

P.S. Virginia leads the way on SPAM!

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In other worlds on foreign policy; seek to participate not dominate.

P.S. Virginia leads the way on SPAM!

point 1: yes, I would love to see this, too. I was saying the same thing early in my post but I just touched on it briefly.

point 2: haha, I know. aggravating and embarrassing. My friend Johannah's dad has been working at AOL now for about 15 years.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Or have we all retreated into our private lives, separate communities, a scattered plurality with a "the rest can fend for themselves" view of the country?

Our national motto is supposedly "E Pluribus Unum" but I really think today's America is better represented by something like "I got mine so piss off, Jack."

But it's plain that we all see ourselves as cohesive Americans as evidenced by the 911 attacks.

I posit that events since 9/11 reveal just the opposite. 9/11 might have proven to be a powerful call to unity like Dec 7 1941 was. Instead, its been politicized and the nation is even more bitterly polarized than before. That's not a recipe for long term success.

Much of what NIC said.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Canada :tongue:

I always felt Canada is a country without a soul. Always seems afraid of itself, so clean, tidy, mannered, boring, forced, undefined, nebbish, tow the line kind of place. No, it's America for me even with all its problems. Power to move mountains, energy, creativity, dynamo, step on your toes, rebellious, arrogant, soul, heart, greed, generosity, all accepting, agony, struggle, music, love of life, critical mass, diversity, yes America- the tossed salad that is our country.

There's so much rhetoric why we are doomed these days, what a horrible place this is, that we somehow should be ashamed of our country. All I know is that whenever I journey abroad, to the many countries I've been to rich and poor, I always feel great to be back home. When my plane touches ground I feel that I am whole again - relieved I don't live anywhere else.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A perfect America would be one where everyone feels welcome and no one is alienated, where we are all connected, where no one is so angry and harbors so much hate to take out 32 innocent people.

I think loneliness is epidemic in this country. It is rarely addressed or talked about especially among the elderly, teenagers and young gay people in our communities. It's something that pills just don't fix and is the root of a lot of unnecessary suffering and social ills from suicides, homelessness, overflowing prisons, early alzheimers, health deterioration, self-hate, alcholism, drug addiction, obesity... the list just goes on and on.

We're all just people who need ........I feel a Barbara Streisand song coming.

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A well run and well funded public transportation system across the entire country. Give Amtrak some balls and lets really beef things up here in the states. A bullet train from east to west.

Diminshed power of corporate america in the halls of government

Tax codes that help the lower classes and require to upper classes to give back in real form to the betterment of the country and people

Mandatory international travel as part of the educational process to introduce our youth to other ways of living and divergent perspectives

Not being afraid of foreign languages, but rather seeing them as a way to communicate and understand other cultures better

American history classes that actually can get pass WWII in High School. Its like nothing of importance happens after WWII or there isn't enough time to focus on it. And year round school while we're at it. No summer vacations unless they are timed with the flexible vacation times listed below

We're to big for our own good, so I'd really like to see the country split into 2-4 mini-countries

A country that appreciates the arts as a cultural heritage and is not afraid of being challenged by art. Less emphasis on sports overall

An environment in which we can work to live and not live to work

Health care and eduaction for all, and flexible vacation and work hours.

Elimination of the electoral college

4-5 viable political parties with divergent perspectives and solutions to real issues, not pandering to corporate interests

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
There is no such thing or place.

Perfect is constantly changing as far as what people think is perfect so the question really cannot be answered.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I always felt Canada is a country without a soul. Always seems afraid of itself, so clean, tidy, mannered, boring, forced, undefined, nebbish, tow the line kind of place. No, it's America for me even with all its problems. Power to move mountains, energy, creativity, dynamo, step on your toes, rebellious, arrogant, soul, heart, greed, generosity, all accepting, agony, struggle, music, love of life, critical mass, diversity, yes America- the tossed salad that is our country.

There's so much rhetoric why we are doomed these days, what a horrible place this is, that we somehow should be ashamed of our country. All I know is that whenever I journey abroad, to the many countries I've been to rich and poor, I always feel great to be back home. When my plane touches ground I feel that I am whole again - relieved I don't live anywhere else.

It's been 5 years... do you still speak cliche'?