What would you do if...

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Thanks you guys... it's stage 2. It started on my bowel wall of the small intestine and it's spread to several lymph nodes. They told me that it's very rare for it to metastasize to other organs which I'm really glad to hear. I've been talking to my uncle and some higher up military physicians and they said they are going to postpone my active duty date. This fucking sucks. On top of just getting all that put on hold, I just got my first round of chemo today and I've been sleeping like all day.

@Deno... My symptoms started with dehydration, then I lost 4 waist sizes in a month and a half, then serious sharp pains in the abdominal area, and bloody stool... the list goes on but they get worse as the list goes on. They said that the sharp pains were from the lymph nodes.

@IndustrialSize... this is what eMedicine says... "

• Fewer than 35% of people who have adenocarcinoma of the small bowel live past 5 years. "
It's really fuckin depressing.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
It is really fucking depressing - it's also not over til it is over (easy for me to say, right?).

Try reading it "Up to 35% of people who have adenocarcinoma of the small bowel live past 5 years" - it sounds better.

Plus you are young and strong. I believe you will beat this.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
What I would do - unless expressly contrary to medical advice (and I don't see why it should be) - would be to get outrageously drunk and high. I would howl at the moon, pick a bar fight and vomit on any law enforcement agents who chose to interrupt my flow.

I would engage in a short, yet dedicated, bout of destructive behaviour and then I would put all my energy into working with the medical teams assigned to me to get the best, most effective treatment possible.

I would also consider a project of some sorts - Do you write? Paint? Do carpentry? Start a project that will last at least as long as your treatment to give you something to throw yourself at when you don't want to, or can't, think about your illness.

Best of luck, X.

I always did like the way you think. I've got plans to completely modernize my house. It's a big project, but it'll keep me busy, and it's something I love doing so... I've been diagnosed by the UAB comprehensive cancer center in Birmingham, AL. I've had three doctors all give me the same diagnosis, and one even told me stage III, but I'm staying with the first I went to. He's actually a friend of mine.

elgrande

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Don't even think I'm going to say I'm sorry. You don't need that. My 82-year-old grandmother beat stage-3 ovarial cancer a year ago. She just didn't want to die. That's all I have to say to you, X.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry to hear that. I've lost a few loved ones to this and my mother cancerous tumor removed 3 years ago. I have no idea what you are going through so all I can say is stay strong and research all of your options , even the ones that your primary doctor dismisses or doesn't mention. Stubborn humans can be some tough sons of bitches. Trust me , I know. Good lock.

-Wes

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Surround yourself with familt, friend (support people and take advantage of the help they offer. Learn as much as possible about your type of cancer and don't JUST be a patient, be very active in your treatment and let the doctor know your plans to be part of your treatment, Take nothing for granted. I was diagnois with brain cancer at age 15 and was given this very important advice Good Luck!!!

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Being diagnosed as having cancer is not much fun. But what stage is it? One, Two, or Three. If it's State One, (which I hope it is) you've got a great chance of recovery.

Insist upon getting a "staging" diagnosis, if you haven't already. The read up as much as possible on the treatments available for the type of stomach cancer you have. I assume you were diagnosed by biopsy?

Best of luck with your adventure.

This man is making sense XGX. You go through those stages of denial and anger an concern. But stay focused and upbeat.

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
good luck guy...always hate to hear of human tradedy...but do not give up the ship...you are young/stong...listen to the doctors...but you are not alone....best wishes..

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
OH GOD XGX! I am so sorry buddy. You're definately going on my prayer list. Please Please Please go to UAB for your treatment. Over the years I have come to think the world of University hospital, Kirkland Clinic, Children's Hospital, and the Heart Clinic. Its truly one of the best hospitals in the South for treatment of serious diseases/conditions/cancers. Since I know your place of employment, and have a general sense of your health insurance benefits, I would also get a referral to M.D. Anderson in Houston. I've had some family members go there (unfortunately much to late in their progression to do a whole lot) and its one of the top rated cancer hospitals in the US and the World. I know I'm like 100 miles or so away from you, but if there's anything I can do to help you out man, please don't hesitate to contact me.

You'll be in my prayers, and you can beat this thing.

Josh

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
OH GOD XGX! I am so sorry buddy. You're definately going on my prayer list. Please Please Please go to UAB for your treatment. Over the years I have come to think the world of University hospital, Kirkland Clinic, Children's Hospital, and the Heart Clinic. Its truly one of the best hospitals in the South for treatment of serious diseases/conditions/cancers. Since I know your place of employment, and have a general sense of your health insurance benefits, I would also get a referral to M.D. Anderson in Houston. I've had some family members go there (unfortunately much to late in their progression to do a whole lot) and its one of the top rated cancer hospitals in the US and the World. I know I'm like 100 miles or so away from you, but if there's anything I can do to help you out man, please don't hesitate to contact me.

You'll be in my prayers, and you can beat this thing.

Josh

You have no idea what thats means to me. All you guys are the best. Personally I might find more in-depth research and answers to my questions at a cancer forum but I feel like I know you guys and this forum is sooo much more than just big willies. I told my grandparents today, they were so tore up. Honestly they sounded like they were feeling more afraid for me than I am. I got a call from UAB earlier, they gave me some news... and it hit hard. They said that if serious intervention weren't taken ASAP they gave me a year and a half. I feel like I need to talk to someone but I just don't know who. All you guys are just awesome, you just don't know. As I get info I'll post it back here for you guys to keep you informed.

ballsaplenty2156

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm not going to say I'm sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with cancer. I'm not because I believe you're going to beat this thing and show us all how it's done.
You must remain positive and even spiritual to win over this enemy. I don't necesarily mean spiritual in the sense of going to church....you know what I mean, I'm sure.
You are going to make it and you're going to do so with the same class you've always shown on this site.
Next year, you'll be telling everyone jokes about what you've been thru and just awe us all.
I wish you peace and determination. My strength to yours, as I'm sure most here are wishing as well.
Get well soon, bro.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
you just got diagnosed with cancer? I just got my concrete diagnosis today that I've got cancer of the small intestine. I'm not sure what my reaction is yet, and I'm a little depressed honestly. I don't think it's hit me yet. I've tried just to not think about it. So, what would you guys do?
Congratulations! You've taken the first step and gotten a diagnosis. Now it is time to get a second and yes, even a third diagnosis. This is your life-or death-which is being dealt with and you can't have too much in the way of diagnosis. Act quickly though as some cancers are fast movers. Mine was slower and less agressive which is probably the only reason I am still here today.

My reaction was never depressed-I went directly to anger and planning. Planning for what might be a very short future. Planning final arrangements. Planning what my next meal would be. PLANNING! It is now vital for you to plan out everything. Not just what shirt to wear or where to dine; you need to also decide who to dine with. Who no longer fits into your circle. Are there self-centered individuals who will make your cancer about them? Get rid of them-at least for a while. True friends will understand your need for solitude and selection of just a chosen few. You need positive folks around at this time, people who will be able to keep your mind from the increasing pain and discomfort which will inevitably come. Surgery, chemo, and even no treatment all have levels of pain and discomfort-but it is all short term and with treatment you eventually start feeling much much better.

And decide. Decide on whether you want conventional treatment, experimental treatment, non-conventional (roots and herbs or prayer) treatment-or no treatment. Surgery or no surgery. Long term-do you want hospice care? Hospice care at home or in a facility?

I opted for the full regimen-I underwent chemo and radiation before surgery-I'd waited a long while and the tumor ended up in a rather difficult spot, they could have cut it out then; but a life time bag was not something I desired, so...

Make sure your desires are known. Have your living will and health care proxy on file with all of the medical staff and copies with those involved in making what may be the final decisions (if you slip under).

As indicated, I didn't go to depressed. I went to anger and then a basic gratitude for having been given 46+ years of life and all the wonderful things which went with it. The people, the places, the sights, the tastes, the pleasures and yes, even the sad moments which made the good even more enjoyable.

A positive attitude and approach are important. In support groups-I joined 3-there were some who just sat in morose silence. One-we will name her Jean-was a sad little bitch. She was 71, had grown children and grandchildren, owned property, had a very supportive family, vacationed worldwide, yet she just sat and moaned. She was in remission for more than 4 years. Everything going for her and she just sat there depressed. As far as I know she still lives today.

Then there was the man who was in his third bout with cancer-he viewed it as what life had handed him and that there was a lesson to be learned and a lesson to be taught. He died a few months ago, a happy man with a positive attitude. I followed his example and to the surprise of the doctors, I made it through-I was not initially expected to. Positive=possibility. Gratitude=possibility. Possibility=everything.

Get an oncologist you are comfortable with. They do not necessarily have to be the best in the country; however, it will also help if they've been at this a few years and have a good track record. I had one man at the start who was in over his head, he was young and too emotional, I fired him and went to the next one which was a much better fit. A good oncologist could be the ticket to your living.

Look, cancer is a grim situation if you allow it to be-we know what the end result can be. Then take a step back and remember the end result for everyone is death. You have a distinct advantage-you know what may happen which gives you options. A person who has a fire consume them or a person who falls down a flight of stairs and breaks their neck, doesn't have the luxury of time. Stay positive and allow people to help you along-you don't need to do it alone.

Two years already?

jack65

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi XGX, sounds like you got some fighting on your hands to do! a old mate of mine was given 6 months to live after they found cancer, that was over 15 yrs ago! He was into marshal arts and took 3 months of to go to a shaolin temple here in Australia. When he came out he was clear of it. He said that the war was won in his mind long before there was any victory in the body. now I'm not saying run of to a temple by any means, I think the point is more ( as others have said ) is to stay positive that you will bet this and if your down a bit log on and let your friends here know, I'm sure by what they have said already that they'll try to cheer you up a bit.

I'm thinking also that your grand parents/loved ones may need a little cheering up as well, though only you know how to do that.
Peace and love bro.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Well, after a couple of rounds of chemo and some radiation (and radiation burns!!) it's not even making a dent. My doctor said that he'll give it another 2 weeks and then it's time to surgically remove as much as they can. He said that it's progressing rapidly and that in about a month's time it will metastasize to probably more lymph nodes and possibly a kidney. So actions will be swift. I was also fired from work today. They wouldn't even listen to me and why I need time off. So good riddance to that job.

Well, after a couple of rounds of chemo and some radiation (and radiation burns!!) it's not even making a dent. My doctor said that he'll give it another 2 weeks and then it's time to surgically remove as much as they can. He said that it's progressing rapidly and that in about a month's time it will metastasize to probably more lymph nodes and possibly a kidney. So actions will be swift. I was also fired from work today. They wouldn't even listen to me and why I need time off. So good riddance to that job.

Did your doctor put you on disability before this happened?? He should have. Unbelievable you were fired. Time to get a lawyer. What bastards! Sue the shit out of them for wrongful termination. They likely found out what was going on and dumped you because of it. Did you have health benefits through them?

Sorry to hear you're not responding to treatment. The last thing you need is more crap piled on top of this. I hope you have friends and family to stand by and help you through this.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sorry to hear about it XGX.

I used to think my response would be to travel to Europe.
What I would do is get treatment.

I wish you a quick recovery.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Did your doctor put you on disability before this happened?? He should have. Unbelievable you were fired. Time to get a lawyer. What bastards! Sue the shit out of them for wrongful termination. They likely found out what was going on and dumped you because of it. Did you have health benefits through them?

Sorry to hear you're not responding to treatment. The last thing you need is more crap piled on top of this. I hope you have friends and family to stand by and help you through this.

I'm having lunch with my lawyer tomorrow. It's sad but my lawyer is a very good friend and former senator. We'll own half of AT&T before it's over.