What would you do to make your Government more efficient and cut waste.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
A great number of people may have some good ideas and present foundations for thought to others by taking this and running with it.

Here are a few of my personal pet peeves and ways to save money.

1. Look very hard at duplication of services:
Disband the Department of Homeland Security as it now exists combining these duties with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Combining the two agencies would be a major savings and result in better communication while eliminating delays. The DHS and it's duties are absorbed by the FBI.

2. Remove the ability of elected officials to send State based National Guardsmen in place of actual branches of the United States Military to Foreign soil. National Guardsmen are from that point forward geared towards protecting this country in times of National Emergency, Disaster, as was their original purpose. Take away the key to making the start of any "invasion" of another country simple or easy.

3. Criminalize on a Federal level consumer fraud by any placing in tough regulations that would protect the American People from corruption or profiteering in both public and private industries serving the American People.

4. Simplification of Services:

Federal Drivers Licensure for both Commercial and Private levels.
Universal Traffic Laws in all States.

Elimination of State Licensure for Medical Professionals and passing this on to the Federal level. This would prevent a Bad MD from going to a different State after butchering a number of patients. Federal Standards, Federal Licensure, zero loopholes.

Federal Licensure for Banking Executives, CEO's and anyone involved in the banking or lending industries. Licenses to be renewed every few years and the record of these individuals to be reviewed before renewal.

Here are a few ways I can see savings that could be passed on,
What are your positive ideas that you feel would cut budgets and at the same time benefit the American People.

pinspotter10

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In the "cut waste" category either eliminate the US Merchant Marine Academy, or make students pay market tuition, or make the students incur a 5 year active duty military obligation like the service academies do.

asianb

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Cut the salaries and benefits of Congress.

In the real 'Working World' - if you don't do your job you don't get paid and the same should apply.

Who_Dun_It

Just Browsing
Media
I gotta agree with you 100% Ken, I would also rather see any and all education standards being federal and go back to funding being mostly from federal sources as well. I kinda figure if it's federally funded, that could help the individual state's use the tax dollars to handle other projects that are soecific to those states.

Last edited:

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am from the uk rather than US so specific issues would be different. I would say total transparency on all spending down to a very low level, say $5, including personal expenses of every person getting money from the state. Likewise all financial information in bids for government contracts, etc, to be disclosed. Being able to see exactly where the money goes can do wonders. Naturally, big penalties for anyone covering up any of this information or taking backhanders in any way which aim to get round disclosure, which would naturally include private loans or donations to individuals involved with government or political organisations.

In the Uk I would take another hard look at defence spending particularly with emphasis on greater cooperation with other european countries. The internal policing bill here looks very big too. Some reality in the law, so we should be abolishing a lot of drug control laws for starters. Turn canabis growing into a revenue geneating industry rather than a generator of criminals, law has to make sense to the people it is imposed on. The purpose of the law should always be to maximise and guarantee personal liberties.

I have always believed there should be a word count limit on legislation, so that any new law passed must be accompanied by the repeal of an old one.

Civil service wages and remunerations not to be linked to business levels, so no millionaire heads of councils and departments. Strong rules requiring civil servants or politicians not to take employment with private companies for a considerable period after retiring from government or during same. I think it is different for a politician who is already an industrialist and then becomes an elected officia. If their interests were known when they were elected then they should be able to keep them, but they shouldnt be able to add to them while in office or afterwards.

An end to government borrowing except in emergencies. I guess borrowing for investment would be an exception, but it would have to be with a clear economic case which would convince your own bank manager to lend you the money if it was a private project. Most government borrowing seems to be on purely providing services, not investment. In any case, there has to be a firm limit, because the situation we are all in now is unmanageable even though all the borrowing was somehow justified when the liabilities were put in place. This implies a balanced budget, not passing on debts to someone else in a few years time.

Last edited:

D_Jacqueline_Boozann

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey, don't vote the bums back in....I would run for office...or, better, yet, why don't you run, Fuzzy Ken. Anyway, to curb spending, I would:

1. Get rid of term limits: have senators (6 yr. run) and house of reps. (2 yr. run), seek election every year: that would keep them on their toes, and their constituents can grade them on what they did for the year.

2. Get rid of the Dept. of Education, especially, that No Child Left Behind crap. No child will be left behind if parents/guardians did their jobs -- like they did in the 1950s.
There was No Child Left Behind because if Johnny or Jane were not promoted -- left behind -- their behinds would not see the light of day by their parents, they would see a razor strap or a bundle of braded switches. Oh, the good old days.

3. Decrease international spending; spend some of that money here at home. Social programs should be eliminated, except for veterans, senior citizens, or the disabled.
Everyone else: as the old adage says, "if you don't work, you don't eat!" There are some countries in the world that saying applies.

4. Bring 98% of our troops home; le'ts defend domestic terrorism here: crack, meth, murderers, sedition, and other serious acts against the United States. Keep about 2% for international protection/security.

5. Ensure that all middle-school students and high-school students, before graduating (and some states are not doing this), complete at least (one) year of community service: allowing them to give something back to the community -- instead of expecting a handout.

6. Bring back the trades in school. Not all students are college material (retired high school teacher here, speaking from experience). College is a wonder experience, but it's hard work, and one must be prepared for the rigors of study. The Professor gives you a syllabus/syllabi the first day -- or the first week -- you're own your own. The Professor will not read the syllabus/syllabi to you, unlike middle school or high school teachers.

7. Build more affordable housing for seniors, vets, and the disabled. Apartment living in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Seattle -- too high -- even for those who are making $100,000 or more.

8. Have more curfews at night for these kids, who seek mischief, causing great mental or bodily harm to others in their thirsty quest for.....what (fill in the missing blank?)

9. Prosecute parents/guardians who after hearing the ad on television: it's 10 p.m., do you know where your children are? After which, shrugging their shoulders, grabbing a bottle of gin, and/or smoking a joint, declaring...and I really don't care, either.

Episcopalian (Denise, Albuquerque, NM).

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Impose term limits on Congress. Politicians are always in campaign mode. It's an endless cycle. They are afraid to rock the boat because they want to be reelected so they can return to do nothing so they can be reelected again.

I would also prevent Congress from giving themselves raises. We, the American people, should have the final say as to whether or not they deserve one.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
1. Get rid of term limits: have senators (6 yr. run) and house of reps. (2 yr. run), seek election every year: that would keep them on their toes, and their constituents can grade them on what they did for the year.
Better yet, I would suggest that elections should be staggered so that 1/12 took place each month. That way there could be no electioneering 'push'. But a government truly answerable to the people is abhorrent in most government circles everywhere.

Everyone else: as the old adage says, "if you don't work, you don't eat!" There are some countries in the world that saying applies.
well thats up to you but some certainly will starve. I dont think it acceptable.

4. Bring 98% of our troops home; le'ts defend domestic terrorism here: crack, meth, murderers, sedition, and other serious acts against the United States. Keep about 2% for international protection/security.
This would be a root and branch reorganisation of the US economy. Just an observation.

6. Bring back the trades in school. Not all students are college material (retired high school teacher here, speaking from experience). College is a wonder experience, but it's hard work, and one must be prepared for the rigors of study.
University expansion is a disease affecting the UK too.

9. Prosecute parents/guardians who after hearing the ad on television: it's 10 p.m., do you know where your children are? After which, shrugging their shoulders, grabbing a bottle of gin, and/or smoking a joint, declaring...and I really don't care, either.
Indeed. responsible parents ought to be making sure their children know how to handle alcohol and drugs safely. Shame the state never does this.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
People have been programed to depend on government both liberal and Conservative so until you convince the population that they don't need the government to solve their problems it's just going to get more powerful and invasive. People don't pay much attention anyway that's why it happens.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
There are a number of great ideas here. I may not agree with everything but the idea is that through dialog we as people can in fact solve problems. (Isn't it amazing that the U.S. Congress can't grasp this simple concept?)

A consensus of thought and thorough investigations into how to make something work is the best thing.

Already those who have participated are doing a better job than their representation.

Keep it up. . . . . . .

pinspotter10

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So are you suggesting the ordinary US educational system is inadequate? I think in the Uk we would do better improving education before age 18 rather than sending more to university. Why spend 3 years learning what you could have learnt already?

B_Jingoist

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Q. If the USMA at West Point and the USNA at Annapolis select from the cream of the crop why does each have a government funded prep school?

Welcome to The United States Military Academy Prep School - Home Page

Naval Academy Preparatory School | Home

A. To prepare students who are athletically proficient but not academically skilled for admission? Would that be correct?

Normally, most students at the Prep school come from the enlisted ranks. They have the leadership skills and potential, but maybe not the academic skills.

It is also for people who get wait listed. Go there, get some classes out of the way, get admitted the next year.

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Isnt is clear by now the defense dept needs to be cut by at least one third if not more? The endless promotion of officers and enormous cost overruns by companies to build defense weapons that we neither need or can use without huge expense is good reason to start there. Oh , yes, and the fact we left iraq recently, and the fact we are on our way out of afghanistan should help.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Cut the giant gift to banks.
Eliminate the home mortgage interest deduction! It encourages people to buy more house than they can afford/need. Other countries don't have mortgage interest deductions and people STILL buy homes! Since people can write down the interest in their taxes it inflates house values, making upper classes even richer at the expense of the lower classes. Home prices would be reduced 10-30% since that's about where they are overvalued (even excluding the bubble of recent years).

Cut agriculture subsidies.
Most ag subsidies goes to the richest corporate farms. And isn't it ironic that most of the agricultural states are "conservative" usually railing against subsidies?

Add more representatives!
Read the Constitution, doesn't it say 1 Representative for every 30,000 people? (Article 1 Section 1) But now it's just set by a law from the 1920's.
United States congressional apportionment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia