What would you forfeit for doing what you like?

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well best of luck -- and keep us posted!! :wink::wink:

Latest Update (as of 10/22): I am now hitting the books to do my ATP license. It would have been easier if I had done that immediately after my retirement, but since I could present all the documentation needed, I only have to collect live and simulator hours and pass the tests. After that, I will decide whether I just want to sail cosily through the dawn of my professional life (Horizon), or start a second career (NWA).

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Claire, I don't know much about the aviation industry but I would think the trend of rising fuel costs is putting a damper on all kinds of flights and need for pilots in the commercial sector.

There is another world of executive airports out there that always intrigued me. So many rich people getting flown about in small privately chartered or corporate jets. Is that another job possiblity?

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is another world of executive airports out there that always intrigued me. So many rich people getting flown about in small privately chartered or corporate jets. Is that another job possiblity?

I have had such offers, but I did not accept, and won't, unless I have really no other choice. I don't want to become an upscale driver for someone's expensive toy. I admit that sounds like a tempting offer to some, but not to me.

As for the larger carriers, I have a feeling like the crisis is over. NWA is hiring over 400 pilots during the next 12 months, and I hope my qualifications get me a job with them. If not there, it could be Horizon, a smaller local carrier, which is closely related to Alaska Air. A decisive factor was that both hire for their Seattle bases, which would be very convenient for me.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I forfeited all I knew and golden handcuffs to come to the Bay Area to go to school to become a psychotherapist over 5 years ago. Also, I broke up with someone I really loved because he couldn't follow me where I needed to go. We still talk and we still love each other but cannot be together, too many issues.... He lives in Wisconsin now.

I started over, with no income, in an entirely new field, having used up all my savings to move from Davenport, Iowa. I was 32 years old then.

I regret nothing. It's the best thing I ever did for myself.

Do what you love, the money will follow.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey CLaire! Thanks for the update. I'm rooting for you!!!!
(But hurry up... it's hard to walk with all ten of my toes crossed!) :biggrin1::biggrin1::wink:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't want to become an upscale driver for someone's expensive toy.

I had a friend who was a coporate pilot for KMS hair care products company. For several years he flew the Diamond Jet belonging to the owner. The pay was good and he said he enjoyed the flying but eventually grew tired of being a round-the-clock chaffeur for a pampered executive bigwig.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
(But hurry up... it's hard to walk with all ten of my toes crossed!) :biggrin1::biggrin1::wink:

LOL relax, it's still gonna be a few weeks for me. At ease, girl!

I have forfeited my health. Years of Breastroke and Butterfly have mashed my knees. I'm having an oporation at the beginning of December. :frown1:

When I was twelve, I had briefly started to do track and field. Another girl my age had to leave and stop a promising athlete future because both her menisci were already ruined. But you have to tell me how swimming, and the breaststroke and butterfly techniques ruin your knees. I prefer the crawling style, and I am very good at it.

I had a friend who was a coporate pilot for KMS hair care products company. For several years he flew the Diamond Jet belonging to the owner. The pay was good and he said he enjoyed the flying but eventually grew tired of being a round-the-clock chaffeur for a pampered executive bigwig.

Well, I guess then you know what I was talking about. No private carrying until I really have no other option, probably it will end with me not only flying, but also serving drinks to a bald-headed, overweight big cheese who shows his gratitude by groping my boobs.

Now that I am in the learning process and collecting flight time again, I feel a lot better. The early wake-ups that occurred to me before are now more flavored by anticipation, rather than racking my brain. I know that I am back to doing what I really liked and what I felt best at, and I know now that I still have my options, and less to loose than I thought previously.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

The rooting helped.

Yesterday, I officially passed the FAA Airline Transport Pilot Knowledge Test at a total score of 97%. Check flight (practical test) will be March, 6th.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That makes me think: Is it orderly to celebrate that with a few pitchers of beer, tequila from boots and straight shots of Bourbon?

That's certainly a proper celebration in my book . :biggrin1: I'll toss a shot back tonight in your honour.

:beerchug:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Sorry... but the line about about getting "more time behind the stick" got my attention! :rolleyes: Always wanted to to be be a "bush" pilot myself. :tongue:

Seriously though- I think that after all the lists are made and the analyzing is complete, you still have to follow your gut. If you want to be back in the cockpit (wow, flying is full of sexual innuendo!), then go for it. I have had to give it all up a few times for the sake of my sanity and have never regretted it. Plus, work that I enjoy has always made me more money as well as being more full-filling.

One of my best friends is a senior pilot with United. He loves flying 777's, but says he considers himself to be a glorified bus driver. What you said about working for a small company or starting your own business seems to fit with what I envision from your online postings.

As Jason said, I'd fly in whatever you were piloting.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The rooting helped.

Yesterday, I officially passed the FAA Airline Transport Pilot Knowledge Test at a total score of 97%. Check flight (practical test) will be March, 6th.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's fantastic!!!!

Very well done. You're the best!

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, thank you all. But remember, the real test is still about to come on 3/6!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's fantastic!!!!

Very well done. You're the best!

Thanks for your rooting! You can un-cross your toes now, or leave half of them crossed until 3/6.

Sorry... but the line about about getting "more time behind the stick" got my attention! :rolleyes: Always wanted to to be be a "bush" pilot myself. :tongue:

Seriously though- I think that after all the lists are made and the analyzing is complete, you still have to follow your gut. If you want to be back in the cockpit (wow, flying is full of sexual innuendo!), then go for it. I have had to give it all up a few times for the sake of my sanity and have never regretted it. Plus, work that I enjoy has always made me more money as well as being more full-filling.

One of my best friends is a senior pilot with United. He loves flying 777's, but says he considers himself to be a glorified bus driver. What you said about working for a small company or starting your own business seems to fit with what I envision from your online postings.

As Jason said, I'd fly in whatever you were piloting.

LOL, yes, the language is rather sexist. I won't tell the in-flight refuelling code line again now, I have done so frequently.

Thing is: As I proceed towards my ATPL, I feel afraid of my own courage again. It's not as simple as that, that a small airline will be an easy business, quite the contrary: Usually you have additional duties, responsibilities and a tighter schedule. My problem is that I still don't know whether I really want to resurrect my aviatory career with a real go-around and new soaring, or whether I just want to sail towards the autumn of my career and enjoy piloting for a little longer.

But then, I still have the thinking of my engineering training. Sometimes I think it would be something to start a new career as a development/test pilot, a small manufacturer for new design solutions, really on the edge of research or development. But that would require a new move, and I have everything here at Seattle that I really want. I don't want to give up a relationship again for my career.

Whatever, probably I'll soon command the Salmon-Thirty-Salmon.