What Would You Get For a Kid Who's Graduating?

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
My bf's son, who is the most incredible kid in the world and one of the most truly wonderful people I know, recently turned 18 :)eek:) and graduated High School. I want to get him something significant. Meaningful. Relevant.

I'm flying out tomorrow for his graduation party on Friday and I have an idea. But what would you get or want?

Last edited:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
plane tickets :)

just think of someplace you've been that was life changing for you. the trip would be an amazing gift and a way of sharing a part of who you were/are (maybe when you were his age) with him.

or the Cadillac. :biggrin1: ya can't go wrong with fins.

if you want something smaller or more personal, first editions of books are the best present ever on any occasion.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think any kid would like a gift card they could spend anywhere on anything they like. Not one that's store specific. And maybe you could add a smaller more personal gift. Make a small photp album for him or one of those digital frames w/pics you collected of the family over the years and esp pics of him growing up so he can see it all in onoe sitting.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
plane tickets :)

just think of someplace you've been that was life changing for you. the trip would be an amazing gift and a way of sharing a part of who you were/are (maybe when you were his age) with him.

or the Cadillac. :biggrin1: ya can't go wrong with fins.

is you want something smaller or more personal, first editions of books are the best present ever on any occasion.

FINS?! ** falls over KAPOW!*

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is so my thread. If you really know his taste in clothes and size. A hip summer shirt is nice along with maybe a gift card. As much as people like gift cards they are so common and it is nice to have a real present in hand. If you have the time, a lunch someplace special...just the two of you can be fun with gift mentioned above. If his dad is say getting him a car...than a gift could be a compliment to that gift ...like seat covers etc and lunch. If you really don't know his taste I would disuss it with hi dad so you can get something personal. A watch is great...if he will wear it... and there are many that are priced reasonable to high and all look good.

splitface

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My bf's son, who is the most incredible kid in the world and one of the most truly wonderful people I know, recently turned 18 :)eek:) and graduated High School. I want to get him something significant. Meaningful. Relevant.

I'm flying out tomorrow for his graduation party on Friday and I have an idea. But what would you get or want?

being a sensitive person, I will give an answer different than the one I was going to give before I read "bf's son"... (sorry.)

In most circumstances, "Significant, meaningful, and relevant" are enemies when or comes to gifts. But why not fund a trip and take the three of you somewhere for some quality time? Nothing fulfills the three better.

Or, just ask him; nothing sucks more than getting something you don't want from someone close to you. If he is going off to college, he may want a bar fridge or a microwave. He may want a new laptop, and you might know a guy who can get you a good deal?

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
These are all great ideas.

One thing I'm already doing is flying him here, without his father, for 5 days in the city with me the week after his party. It was his birthday present. I'd told him in March that I could either give him money as I usually do or give him a plane ticket--his choice. He was like, "Gee, Nick, you think Dad would really let me?" and I said "Pat, it's in my job description to annoy your father by being cooler than he is. It will be fine." I'm told he's more excited about this trip than he was about his graduation. :biggrin1:

Keep in mind that Ohio 18 isn't Manhattan 18. :wink:

A nice warm cardigan in moss green or maroon is always a nice gift.

Does he need any antimacassars? They're so attractive in the parlor.

Enough of that.

If Sam were graduating and depending on my budget, I'd get him an iPhone with a year's service or iPod with a $100 iTunes gift certificate to buy apps, movies, and stuff like that. I find my iPod pretty indispensable. He can Twitter with it, keep a calendar, has Yelp!, calculator, alarm clock, GPS, and about a zillion useful apps like a gas price finder, dream interpreter, weather channel, news, take pictures and video, and everything else you can imagine. There's even an app to use it as a flashlight! Besides all the use he'll get out of it, it's a cool thing that an 18 year old would appreciate. With a car adapter he can use it to listen to music in his new car too!

I think my iPod was one of the best things I've ever purchased given how much use it receives and the amount of information it can give me. The only problem with the iPod is that it's dependent on wifi where the iPhone is not. That makes the iPhone significantly more useful than my iPod and yet I'm not displeased with my iPod at all.

I'd also give him a big hug and tell him how proud you are of his achievement and how much you love him. It's a cheap gift but very meaningful. To go with it, I'd give him a little something personal from you. Maybe cufflinks or something. Though those kinds of gifts are rarely used, for the rest of your life you never use them without thinking of who gave them to you. If you need a pocket watch to give him, let me know. I have one you're welcome to have.