what would you have done?

D_Amyntas Lillydong

Account Disabled
Media
hindsight is 20/20, but be honest. some coworkers got into donated food for a special event. i knew what happened but when asked i played dumb. now the truth has been found out and management tells me they have lost trust in me for lying to them that i didn't know anymore that could have helped them when they found out through others i did know. well we all don't make the best decisions, but when i do not trust management i wasn't going to be a stoolie to my coworkers. any thoughts? and i do think it was ironic(?) that management told me that i should think of myself first than trying to protect others. yeah, i'm sure there was a lot of trust in that room.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
hindsight is 20/20, but be honest. some coworkers got into donated food for a special event. i knew what happened but when asked i played dumb. now the truth has been found out and management tells me they have lost trust in me for lying to them that i didn't know anymore that could have helped them when they found out through others i did know. well we all don't make the best decisions, but when i do not trust management i wasn't going to be a stoolie to my coworkers. any thoughts? and i do think it was ironic(?) that management told me that i should think of myself first than trying to protect others. yeah, i'm sure there was a lot of trust in that room.

I would tell them that you did not speak up because you did not see the "theft" happen. You were told about it, (or heard about it) but did not want to come forward because you were not sure of what really did happen.

they shouldn't expect you to inform on your coworkers unless you are management

Bingo!

Your managers are inept and illogical. Get a better job ASAP. Nothing worse than working for dumbasses who don't know how to manage employees.

Hearsay is not evidence. They should know that and respect your discretion.

sixlittleboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You were not looking out for the interest of the company. That's all they care about. You don't really say if you knew because you were there or because you heard about it. However you did lie to them when you said you didn't know anything about it hearsay or not you could have said it was a rumor. Put yourself in the position of the person in charge. If you asked someone if they had information about what happened to the food and he said no, would you loose trust in that person? And really why are you protecting people that put you in this position in the first place? They knew the food was for an event and that it had been donated. What would make them think it was ok to get into it?

D_Amyntas Lillydong

Account Disabled
Media
that is why i did what i did. not until the managers look bad do they do something about it. the underlings all have had food items go missing in the past and the complaints had been ignored for a very long time about doing something about it.

Bingo!

Your managers are inept and illogical. Get a better job ASAP. Nothing worse than working for dumbasses who don't know how to manage employees.

Hearsay is not evidence. They should know that and respect your discretion.

D_Amyntas Lillydong

Account Disabled
Media
i was there and yes i made a mistake. i didn't want to get involved because of the negativity, unhappiness and stress that i am around everyday at work. i am affected by my coworkers' views of management and it bit me in the ass this time. i'm still interested in more opinions though as i was told to learn from my mistake.

You were not looking out for the interest of the company. That's all they care about. You don't really say if you knew because you were there or because you heard about it. However you did lie to them when you said you didn't know anything about it hearsay or not you could have said it was a rumor. Put yourself in the position of the person in charge. If you asked someone if they had information about what happened to the food and he said no, would you loose trust in that person? And really why are you protecting people that put you in this position in the first place? They knew the food was for an event and that it had been donated. What would make them think it was ok to get into it?