Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
DON'T try to move an alligator snapping turtle out of the street. My love for animals got the best of me today and being the pro "turtle" relocator on the rural backroads could have been very bad!

Image:Alligator Snapping Turtle2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw him in the middle of the road on a curve, so i stopped to pick him up and move him over to the other side of the road. I carefully placed my hands towards the back of him so his head couldnt swing back and bite me. The thing was like trying to lift a cinderblock! Within a split second he jumped and did a complete 180 degree turn in the air and was facing me...that is after he snapped and hissed!

I jumped backward like a scared cat and screamed! I cautiously went back into my car and drove off. I drove back to see if he was still there about 10 minutes later and he had made it across the road.

Crickey!!! Prissy lil Mad Rouge ain't afraid of nothing! He could have taken my whole hand....and it would bring a whole new meaning to typing one handed.

Last edited by a moderator:

davec94

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As we have all learned from the wise practises of Super Mario, you always need to flip the turtle over before moving him. The best way to do this, of course, is by jumping on him.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
An alligator snapper? I thought they were confined to a small portion of the Mississippi River area.

I've caught them. Adult Snappers. I live near a wildlife refugue and deal with them a lot. You must take the extreme end of them--the tail--the drag them from there. Don't hesitate. I have tools in my car for dealing with grown (three foot long--w/tail) --shovels are good. They have no reasoning or periods of calm. They just bite. Endlessly. Even with a head cut off, an open mouth with trigger a reflex to bite.

The necks on these creatures reach the end of their shells.

I caught an adult when I was twelve on a railroad track, lumbering along the ties, because it couldn't get over the steel rails. I dragged it home in a cardboard box and left it in the garage. My mother told me I couldn't keep it. Besides it pushed open the garage door.

Brave person.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Damn, you're a brave man, i knew you'd know what to do!

I was driving right next to a river. After calling my dad about what to do afterwards he told me there was a local article about them, so apparently we do have them here in Oklahoma. We have all sorts of interesting creatures. I thought it was an armadillo in the road at first.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As we have all learned from the wise practises of Super Mario, you always need to flip the turtle over before moving him. The best way to do this, of course, is by jumping on him.

You are my new favorite person at LPSG. :biggrin1:

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I always give them a broom handle to chomp on. Once she (it's usually a female going home to lay her eggs) clamps down, the tail makes a convenient handle. But you still have to be very careful as they can get quite large and difficult to lift. She just needed you to motivate her, that's all. Didn't need no pickin' up.

Be gentle with the reptiles, kiddo.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I had an Eastern Brown Snake in my back yard the other day.
I put it under my rose bush with a posthole shovel.
I should get better flowers next season.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I had an Eastern Brown Snake in my back yard the other day.
I put it under my rose bush with a posthole shovel.
I should get better flowers next season.
Those guys don't fuck around, but did you really have to kill him? I don't know what those snakes' breeding cycles are like, but our most common poisonous snakes are viviparous and only drop a couple of young every 18 months - two years. It's a reall disaster for rattlesnakes to kill even one of 'em.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yes I did sweet he was 8 foot long ans as aggro as hell (he chased me inside)
I have two small children and a cat.
If he was calm I would have let him be.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
DON'T try to move an alligator snapping turtle out of the street. My love for animals got the best of me today and being the pro "turtle" relocator on the rural backroads could have been very bad!

Image:Alligator Snapping Turtle2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw him in the middle of the road on a curve, so i stopped to pick him up and move him over to the other side of the road. I carefully placed my hands towards the back of him so his head couldnt swing back and bite me. The thing was like trying to lift a cinderblock! Within a split second he jumped and did a complete 180 degree turn in the air and was facing me...that is after he snapped and hissed!

I jumped backward like a scared cat and screamed! I cautiously went back into my car and drove off. I drove back to see if he was still there about 10 minutes later and he had made it across the road.

Crikey!!! Prissy lil Mad Rouge ain't afraid of nothing! He could have taken my whole hand....and it would bring a whole new meaning to typing one handed.

Somewhere there is a lesson to be learned in all of that.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
When I was a kid living in Sand Springs, Ok., (W of Tulsa) my grandmother used to take us fishing on the Arkansas river. She managed to catch one one day and it was a mean little sucker!! She killed it as it was a soft shell one and tan.

I have seen those turtles actually take ducks down and eat them. Kind of a wild sight.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Eastern Browns are ranked between the top 10 to 20most venomous in the world.
They are renowned for their outright aggression which makes them more dangerous.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
When I was a kid living in Sand Springs, Ok., (W of Tulsa) my grandmother used to take us fishing on the Arkansas river. She managed to catch one one day and it was a mean little sucker!! She killed it as it was a soft shell one and tan.

I have seen those turtles actually take ducks down and eat them. Kind of a wild sight.

I'm very familiar with Sand Springs. I wasnt there today when i saw one, but its ironic you mentioned the duck thing because i was telling a friend about it just a few minutes ago and he had a story of seeing one take down a duck on the river.

I'll not be doing that again!