Whats a vacation cost?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV, Jan 14, 2008.

1. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

I haven't been on a vacation in a long time, 7 years or so I guess. Anywho, my boyfriend has only been in the US for a year or so and has only really seen NY. Neither of us drive or I was thinking of maybe a road trip along the east coast, so since thats not a possibility I was thinking maybe just a trip to Florida. I went there 7 years ago when I was 15, Florida isn't really exciting for a 15 year old...but now I'm sure Miami is a good time.

So like the title says, what do you think a 5-7 day vacation would cost roughly? I don't want to spend much at a hotel, its just for sleeping and sex, but I don't want to stay in a cheap place either. For transportation we might take a train, neither of us is crazy about flying. The last time I flew was 7 years ago back in 2000 and I wasn't crazy about it then, still not now. So meals, going out, transportation, hotels, miscellaneous things?

2. viking1

Gold Member

Can't help you. I've never been on a vacation in my adult life.

3. snoozan

Gold Member

the train from NY to Florida is going to be extremely expensive. Flights can be had for very cheap on that same route. Look at Amtrak.com and Southwest.com to compare train fare and flight fare.

A hotel is going to cost you in the neighborhood of $100 a night at least. Food, drink, shopping, etc. can be as cheap as you make it, but I'd say $30 a day per person at least.

One of the cheapest ways to travel is to book a cruise. You can get deals on cruises that are all inclusive so that all you pay for the cruise and your airfare. Food and drink (and a lot of it) are provided in your cost, as are some activities. Cruises are easy because you know ahead of time how much you'll be spending.

I don't vacation a lot, so my advice is only somewhat valuable. I vacation on Sebago Lake in Maine, and though the cottage I stay in is $400 a week or less, we cook a lot of meals ourselves, friends provide us with a lot of entertainment for cheap, and we try to do things that don't cost money, we still end up spending a lot cash.

4. bottombuddy

bottombuddy Member

make some friends around the globe and it shouldnt cost you anything for accomodation and neednt be expensive food wise if you live simply.

5. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

What does a cruise cost? That sounds like fun actually.

6. Eboomo

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Check out CouchSurfing for a place to stay. I've done it and had a gr8 time.

Of course its hard to fuck when your staying at someone else's house :p

7. earllogjam

Gold Member

Yeah, Snoozan's estimates are on the mark for vacation travel. That's about what I spend. If you don't drive I'd say fly instead of rail, it's faster, cheaper and there are more package deals available.

I'd say go to someplace where you can easily walk to get around or has good public transportation and has enough to do to keep you busy for 5 days and you can do on the cheap. San Francisco, Las Vegas, Washington DC, Puerto Rico, Oaxaca or Cancun Mexico come to mind. A cruise is a good idea also especially if you don't drive. Not sure if you want to spend most of your vacation time on a ship however. If you really want to rough it check into staying at an international youth hostle as they often are found in good central locations and have private rooms but share bathrooms.

Check out Jet Blue, a discount carrier out of JKF. There are also pretty good deals at Travelzoo.com

8. Northland

Gold Member

The cost will vary according to/depending upon where you go. Added to this would be the time of year for travel. Alaska is cheaper in January than it is in August and southern destinations are often much lower in cost in summer than in the winter. Airline fares will also vary greatly according to the time of travel with weekends having a different cost than mid-week. Large popular cities are likely to run you a higher tab than small towns.

9. Nrets

Nrets Member

There are underground alternatives to travel. You can sleep in a tent or in your car or in hostels only.
    You can shop at markets rather than eat out in the cities you visit.
    If you want to really shake things up, you can eat the leftovers off tables in sidewalk cafes. It sounds bad, but it is so doable. Especially in America where there is waste everywhere.
    The final one that blew my mid recently is the cheap alternative in transportation.
    Evidentally you can jump on a cargo ship as a pasenger to China for like 30 dollars.
    From there, you can reach the rest of the world with a little ingenuity and cajones.
    But hey, you said vacation....I guess I'm talking gulliver's travels.

10. Principessa

Gold Member

OrbitzXT, DO NOT take the train from NYC to Florida. Trains are as expensive if not moreso than planes and take five times as long. I have always hated train travel, it reminds me of that line form the old Glen Campbell song. For me train travel is torture, a slow death in a tin can.

I would checkout Airtran, Jet Blue, USA 3000 first; but there are many others.

Draft saved Draft deleted