What's gay dating like where you live?

Whether you're currently in a relationship or have been in a relationship, what is gay dating like where you live?

I'll start (this might be a rant btw). I live in Miami, Florida. Gay dating is almost non-existent. Let me explain and cover all the bases. First, locals and non-locals consider Miami Beach (which is it's own city separate from the City of Miami) to be a "gayborhood". It's really not. When I think of a gay neighborhood, I think of places like Chelsea, Hells Kitchen, the Castro, even Wilton Manors in Fort Lauderdale. Miami Beach caters to tourist dollars only, this includes gay tourist dollars. The few LGBT bars there open past 10pm meaning no after work happy-hour because why care about locals when you can cater to tourist dollars right? We also have a few large LGBT events like the White Party in November and Sizzle and Sweat Heat (for lesbians) in the Spring. But again, these are tourist events! There are local organizations like Pridelines and the Miami-Dade Gay Lesbian Chamber of Commerce both which foster social change, which is tough in a city that I feel does not really have a gay community and a strong LGBT presence because of my next point.

Second, the demographic make up the city promotes this discreet, "don't ask, don't tell" attitude towards gays and lesbians. Miami is very, very Latino. The Latino community is predominantly Cuban followed by large groups of other ethnicities from Latin America. The attitude towards homosexuality in Latin America is very discreet. Yes, there are gayborhoods in large metros like Sao Paulo and Santiago de Chile, etc. but the overall attitude is discretion. Miami has this mix of the dominant Cuban/Latino culture that is somewhat tolerant via discretion but also pretty machismo, old Southern culture, plus an influence of Florida state southern politics, and other Caribbean cultures (Jamaican, Haitian, etc.) that tend to be extremely homophobic. So all of those things conspire to make Miami far less LGBT-friendly than areas that have none of those influences in any strong representation.

In sum, are there any other places where my dating options might be better? If you've ever lived in Miami or South Florida, did I summarize the gay scene accurately? I'm tired of coming across grown adult men who are bi-curious and "straight bros" who want to mess around on the side away from their girlfriends. I live in a large metropolis, is it so much to ask for an openly gay, single man? I thought I could though it out because I love the sun, hot weather and the beach but the dating scene is very difficult. Is it better where you guys are at?

Reactions: alcor972

SillyGayBoy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Smaller area and from what I have heard basically all the gay guys have been with all the gay guys which I find kind of gross but when there are not much options that may be common. I have stayed with my husband though and we don't fool around with any of them.

Bigger cities within 2-4 hours of driving. Little Rock has a gay club I went to once, might be the same one that got shot up by some gun maniac though, much later then when I visited. I guess I won't go to those anymore.

Reactions: nellon399

alcor972

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
hello, nellon!...
:)
thank you for your description of miami!...
if I can't tell you if you're accurate or not... lol... for the least... it is very pleasant to read for me...
lol... you've more or less established a kind of proximity between the southern florida politics and the caribbean cultures... concerning homophobia they would have in common...
it's mostly an effect due to the fact you put them together in your listing... and so implicitly made a link between them it seems to me...
hmm... lol... as this story of being straight... gay... bisexual... 100% this... 99% that... 50% this... 60% that... is already somewhat problematic for me... lol... a definition of homophobia would be as a consequence as problematic for the least to my mind...
as no specific threads, here at lpsg, has been devoted to this topic... homophobia... it seems to me... several members here have already established useful anchorage points to better understand what it could be though...
for instance... auggiecakes once has told us that his latino colleagues... apparently straight in the first place... were liking asking him questions about his preferences concerning guys... and how were going his dating encounters...
on an other hand... hunghorse and umdoistressilvaquatro have several times evocated the false tolerancy coming from many non latino and non black people toward gay people... as this tolerancy is just a polite indifference... and in that way certainly not a friendly attitude...
so if I compare these two situations... I would say that the less homophobic between the auggies' latinos colleagues and the people presented by horse and umdoistressilva are... of course... the first ones...
moreover... other members here have several times told about the almost enrooted homophobia contained in what one called abrahamic religions... which are not native religions from the americas or africa in the way they are considered nowadays...
so... all these points... along with my own observations as I almost always have been living in martinique... strongly suggest me that homophobia is not related to people geographical origins...
now, nellon...
oh... nellon... lol... be happy to your situation in miami... lol... with the miami beach [apparently not so] gayborhood lol... and your incredible gay and lesbian chamber of commerce [!!!... wow!...]... lol...
because in comparison... the situation is just catastrophic and disastrous in martinique...:D... where there is absolutely NO GAYBORHOOD... even under the dollar tourist gayborhood version... :D... wherever my desperate eyes may look at... and of course NO GAY AND LESBIANS CHAMBER OF COMMERCE...
oh nellon... lol... do you know that the first ever martinican gay pride...:D... just took place this 2017 year?... [!!!] lol... it was during last june mounth... and certainly, I was not there... lol!...
the gay dating areas here are in fact similar to lpsg... lol... these are not specifically gay devoted places... and there are straight guys embedded in the flow... lol... looking for women... and who could make you pay hardly the least innocent ... :)... yes yes yes innocent... look you can... accidently of course...:D... throw over them....
in spite of this... I am happy though... because it appears more and more to me that my homosexuality is a personal issue... and no a social issue... as it is at the contrary necessarily the case for my africanity for instance...
at this time... I don't think that living in a gay community would really help me for instance in regulating my current promiscuity... which is a problem due to my own brain... and not to the homophobia from other people...
at last... as I told you previously, nellon, homosexuality.. and its related homophobia too... doesn't appear to me as primarily bound to the geographical origin of a population... which could explain why talking about gay culture is still strange to me... because I hardly see how a gay from papuasia or melanasia islands could feel close to me just under the pretext we are both homosexual... as we are not far to be at the earth antipodes one from the other...
being homosexual significates primarily being lonely inside my own population... because homosexuality... particularly exclusive homosexuality... is naturally very rare... and necessarily leads me to a road where I have to be brave in order to remain myself in spite of the more or less polite [but real] homophobia felt by my own people toward men and women like me...
anyway... thanks again nellon for you very informative post on miami...
be well, nellon...
*hug*

hello, nellon!...
thank you for your description of miami!...
if I can't tell you if you're accurate or not... lol... for the least... it is very pleasant to read for me...
lol... you've more or less established a kind of proximity between the southern florida politics and the caribbean cultures... concerning homophobia they would have in common...
it's mostly an effect due to the fact you put them together in your listing... and so implicitly made a link between them it seems to me...
hmm... lol... as this story of being straight... gay... bisexual... 100% this... 99% that... 50% this... 60% that... is already somewhat problematic for me... lol... a definition of homophobia would be as a consequence as problematic for the least to my mind...
as no specific threads, here at lpsg, has been devoted to this topic... homophobia... it seems to me... several members here have already established useful anchorage points to better understand what it could be though...
for instance... auggiecakes once has told us that his latino colleagues... apparently straight in the first place... were liking asking him questions about his preferences concerning guys... and how were going his dating encounters...
on an other hand... hunghorse and umdoistressilvaquatro have several times evocated the false tolerancy coming from many non latino and non black people toward gay people... as this tolerancy is just a polite indifference... and in that way certainly not a friendly attitude...
so if I compare these two situations... I would say that the less homophobic between the auggies' latinos colleagues and the people presented by horse and umdoistressilva are... of course... the first ones...
moreover... other members here have several times told about the almost enrooted homophobia contained in what one called abrahamic religions... which are not native religions from the americas or africa in the way they are considered nowadays...
so... all these points... along with my own observations as I almost always have been living in martinique... strongly suggest me that homophobia is not related to people geographical origins...
now, nellon...
oh... nellon... lol... be happy to your situation in miami... lol... with the miami beach [apparently not so] gayborhood lol... and your incredible gay and lesbian chamber of commerce [!!!... wow!...]... lol...
because in comparison... the situation is just catastrophic and disastrous in martinique...:D... where there is absolutely NO GAYBORHOOD... even under the dollar tourist gayborhood version... :D... wherever my desperate eyes may look at... and of course NO GAY AND LESBIANS CHAMBER OF COMMERCE...
oh nellon... lol... do you know that the first ever martinican gay pride...:D... just took place this 2017 year?... [!!!] lol... it was during last june mounth... and certainly, I was not there... lol!...
the gay dating areas here are in fact similar to lpsg... lol... these are not specifically gay devoted places... and there are straight guys embedded in the flow... lol... looking for women... and who could make you pay hardly the least innocent ... :)... yes yes yes innocent... look you can... accidently of course...:D... throw over them....
in spite of this... I am happy though... because it appears more and more to me that my homosexuality is a personal issue... and no a social issue... as it is at the contrary necessarily the case for my africanity for instance...
at this time... I don't think that living in a gay community would really help me for instance in regulating my current promiscuity... which is a problem due to my own brain... and not to the homophobia from other people...
at last... as I told you previously, nellon, homosexuality.. and its related homophobia too... doesn't appear to me as primarily bound to the geographical origin of a population... which could explain why talking about gay culture is still strange to me... because I hardly see how a gay from papuasia or melanasia islands could feel close to me just under the pretext we are both homosexual... as we are not far to be at the earth antipodes one from the other...
being homosexual significates primarily being lonely inside my own population... because homosexuality... particularly exclusive homosexuality... is naturally very rare... and necessarily leads me to a road where I have to be brave in order to remain myself in spite of the more or less polite [but real] homophobia felt by my own people toward men and women like me...
anyway... thanks again nellon for you very informative post on miami...
be well, nellon...
*hug*

Thanks Alcor. You said a lot. I'll may come back and comment on it some more but I really appreciated what you said. I can't believe that Martinique just had it's first pride?!??! For some reason, I thought that the French Caribbean territories were more open since isn't gay marriage legal in France which would mean that it's legal in Martinique?

Exbiker

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I live about an hour's drive from London, England.

And ten minutes from the Magna Carta monument, the sacred fountainhead of human freedom. ;)

Most "dating" seems to be online driven, but there are still a couple of places it can be done the old fashioned way.

But if two men want to go out for a movie or a meal, even holding hands, kissing, whatever, nobody can say a thing to them - if they do, they can be prosecuted.

So it's rather nice.

:cool:

Of course there are still some issues, some constraints even here. I'm not saying it's "job done" in the UK. Not quite. But the situations in most other places are more significant.

I'm sorry to hear it if even Florida has problems - I remember a great holiday about 15 years ago, mostly in Fort Lauderdale but also driving down to the Keys in a Mustang convertible. :cool:

OKCLane

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hi Nellon,
Not to be trite but two sayings come to mind; familiarity breeds contempt and the grass is always greener..."
Alcor makes some cogent and thoughtful points. I live in Oklahoma City, the buckle of the proverbial Bible Belt. Believe it or not we have a gay district and ironically it's just down the street from the headquarters of the Southern Baptist Convention.
Our district is compressed into a few blocks, all the bars in orbit around a gay "resort" called The Habana. Look it up and come for a visit.
While I wouldn't walk the streets holding hands like U.K. member Exbiker we are mostly well received. I eat out with large groups of men at least twice a week and no one looks twice. My husband and I eat out with another couple (or two) each weekend. Not once have we felt unwelcome or maltreatment.
We recently interviewed contractors for a job at home and two of them were surprised that we were married. They thought it was cool, they just were completely oblivious to its passage.
All this to say that home is found in the most unlikely of places. Dating here is like anywhere else. The bars help but apps seem to rule the day. If you're looking for a partner then get out there and become active. Volunteer with groups that share your passions and you might find your matching heart. If you think Miami is a "lemon grove" then make lemonade.
Thanks for a great post - hope others will weigh in with their cities.

I live about an hour's drive from London, England.

And ten minutes from the Magna Carta monument, the sacred fountainhead of human freedom. ;)

Most "dating" seems to be online driven, but there are still a couple of places it can be done the old fashioned way.

But if two men want to go out for a movie or a meal, even holding hands, kissing, whatever, nobody can say a thing to them - if they do, they can be prosecuted.

So it's rather nice.

:cool:

Of course there are still some issues, some constraints even here. I'm not saying it's "job done" in the UK. Not quite. But the situations in most other places are more significant.

I'm sorry to hear it if even Florida has problems - I remember a great holiday about 15 years ago, mostly in Fort Lauderdale but also driving down to the Keys in a Mustang convertible. :cool:

Yes, Fort Lauderdale and Key West are very gay. It seems that most of the gay things to do are in those localities which are obviously close by to Miami, I just wish that Miami had these same things.

Hi Nellon,
Not to be trite but two sayings come to mind; familiarity breeds contempt and the grass is always greener..."
Alcor makes some cogent and thoughtful points. I live in Oklahoma City, the buckle of the proverbial Bible Belt. Believe it or not we have a gay district and ironically it's just down the street from the headquarters of the Southern Baptist Convention.
Our district is compressed into a few blocks, all the bars in orbit around a gay "resort" called The Habana. Look it up and come for a visit.
While I wouldn't walk the streets holding hands like U.K. member Exbiker we are mostly well received. I eat out with large groups of men at least twice a week and no one looks twice. My husband and I eat out with another couple (or two) each weekend. Not once have we felt unwelcome or maltreatment.
We recently interviewed contractors for a job at home and two of them were surprised that we were married. They thought it was cool, they just were completely oblivious to its passage.
All this to say that home is found in the most unlikely of places. Dating here is like anywhere else. The bars help but apps seem to rule the day. If you're looking for a partner then get out there and become active. Volunteer with groups that share your passions and you might find your matching heart. If you think Miami is a "lemon grove" then make lemonade.
Thanks for a great post - hope others will weigh in with their cities.

Glad to hear OKC has been well to you. I should also add that I wish Miami were more like a New York, San Fran, Austin, LA were there's more young, gay, educated, professionals with events and venues that cater to them. I don't mean this in any wrong way but down here a lot of gay events and organizations are catered to those over 40, or those (regardless of age) who are here temporarily on vacation. I just wish I didn't have to make sacrifices to live somewhere with hot weather and a beach.

MuscledHorse

Superior Member
Media
Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Reading through this it seems like you're confusing gay dating opportunities with gay openness. And while there is some overlap to them they are not the same thing. As a Florida transplant to the Bible Belt the dating situation here is not bad at all, but it's very closeted and on the down low all the way around. It doesn't mean that the guy I'm dating and I don't hold hands because we have it doesn't mean we don't kiss each other when we meet each other even in public because we have it just means that there's a high level of sexual repressession in the region. Being a masculine bodybuilder, it's less likely that I'm going to be harassed by anyone, but the dating opportunities are in some cases what you make them and what you're looking for. I don't look for monogamy because I don't believe it's a natural or healthy state for a male to exist in. So the guy I'm dating like me doesn't subscribe to monogamy and we don't confuse who we care about with getting our rocks off. I think that makes a big difference too, especially here in the age of the hook-up app being the predominant force in the gay World wherever you travel.

Reactions: wayward93angel

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not the best simply because bottoms outnumber tops in Houston or so it seems. I've also been forced to be versatile in my position because me being black I'm always expected to top which is not my position of choice. I've always been a pleaser though so I can go with the flow but much rather be on the bottom. The options are always there but just wish more tops were available.

Reading through this it seems like you're confusing gay dating opportunities with gay openness. And while there is some overlap to them they are not the same thing. As a Florida transplant to the Bible Belt the dating situation here is not bad at all, but it's very closeted and on the down low all the way around. It doesn't mean that the guy I'm dating and I don't hold hands because we have it doesn't mean we don't kiss each other when we meet each other even in public because we have it just means that there's a high level of sexual repressession in the region. Being a masculine bodybuilder, it's less likely that I'm going to be harassed by anyone, but the dating opportunities are in some cases what you make them and what you're looking for. I don't look for monogamy because I don't believe it's a natural or healthy state for a male to exist in. So the guy I'm dating like me doesn't subscribe to monogamy and we don't confuse who we care about with getting our rocks off. I think that makes a big difference too, especially here in the age of the hook-up app being the predominant force in the gay World wherever you travel.

They aren't the same thing but they definitely coexist. If the openness is not there, men literally will not have Grindr or whatever app installed on their phones, they will not post adds on Craigslist, they will not eye fuck other men, and most importantly in my case, they will not be interested in dating someone of the same sex. They will literally suppress their feelings until I guess one day they get tired of doing so later on in life, which I think you understand. I say this because I've lived in and visited cities where homosexuality was very open like New York and San Francisco and the dating options were there imo. Where in Florida did you move from?

Not the best simply because bottoms outnumber tops in Houston or so it seems. I've also been forced to be versatile in my position because me being black I'm always expected to top which is not my position of choice. I've always been a pleaser though so I can go with the flow but much rather be on the bottom. The options are always there but just wish more tops were available.

Are you expected to top by non-black bottoms? Do you not like black tops?

MuscledHorse

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They aren't the same thing but they definitely coexist. If the openness is not there, men literally will not have Grindr or whatever app installed on their phones, they will not post adds on Craigslist, they will not eye fuck other men, and most importantly in my case, they will not be interested in dating someone of the same sex. They will literally suppress their feelings until I guess one day they get tired of doing so later on in life, which I think you understand. I say this because I've lived in and visited cities where homosexuality was very open like New York and San Francisco and the dating options were there imo. Where in Florida did you move from?

can't say that i agree, at least on the hookup side. Here in the supprsed Bible Belt i pleasure a lot of married and DownLow guys. i can get a steady supply of sex off the apps anywhere i travel in TN and being a masc. dating is another matter but i've done well there even landing a guy with the same anti-monogamy view of relationships that i have.

can't say that i agree, at least on the hookup side. Here in the supprsed Bible Belt i pleasure a lot of married and DownLow guys. i can get a steady supply of sex off the apps anywhere i travel in TN and being a masc. dating is another matter but i've done well there even landing a guy with the same anti-monogamy view of relationships that i have.

I don't think we're agreeing on the same thing because I'm talking about openness and DATING. You're talking about hooking up and sex, but I'm glad you're having fun :)

Reactions: malakos

MuscledHorse

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No one hurt me. It's just what I've observed and what I've experienced. The guy I'm with is the same way I am. We care deeply about each other but for us sex is the ultimate male pleasure Sport and we indulge in it and enjoy hearing about each other's exploits when we are curled up naked together and enjoying each other. We understand the difference between love and lust.

Reactions: wayward93angel

hvdude

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Whether you're currently in a relationship or have been in a relationship, what is gay dating like where you live?

I'll start (this might be a rant btw). I live in Miami, Florida. Gay dating is almost non-existent. Let me explain and cover all the bases. First, locals and non-locals consider Miami Beach (which is it's own city separate from the City of Miami) to be a "gayborhood". It's really not. When I think of a gay neighborhood, I think of places like Chelsea, Hells Kitchen, the Castro, even Wilton Manors in Fort Lauderdale. Miami Beach caters to tourist dollars only, this includes gay tourist dollars. The few LGBT bars there open past 10pm meaning no after work happy-hour because why care about locals when you can cater to tourist dollars right? We also have a few large LGBT events like the White Party in November and Sizzle and Sweat Heat (for lesbians) in the Spring. But again, these are tourist events! There are local organizations like Pridelines and the Miami-Dade Gay Lesbian Chamber of Commerce both which foster social change, which is tough in a city that I feel does not really have a gay community and a strong LGBT presence because of my next point.

Second, the demographic make up the city promotes this discreet, "don't ask, don't tell" attitude towards gays and lesbians. Miami is very, very Latino. The Latino community is predominantly Cuban followed by large groups of other ethnicities from Latin America. The attitude towards homosexuality in Latin America is very discreet. Yes, there are gayborhoods in large metros like Sao Paulo and Santiago de Chile, etc. but the overall attitude is discretion. Miami has this mix of the dominant Cuban/Latino culture that is somewhat tolerant via discretion but also pretty machismo, old Southern culture, plus an influence of Florida state southern politics, and other Caribbean cultures (Jamaican, Haitian, etc.) that tend to be extremely homophobic. So all of those things conspire to make Miami far less LGBT-friendly than areas that have none of those influences in any strong representation.

In sum, are there any other places where my dating options might be better? If you've ever lived in Miami or South Florida, did I summarize the gay scene accurately? I'm tired of coming across grown adult men who are bi-curious and "straight bros" who want to mess around on the side away from their girlfriends. I live in a large metropolis, is it so much to ask for an openly gay, single man? I thought I could though it out because I love the sun, hot weather and the beach but the dating scene is very difficult. Is it better where you guys are at?

I lived just south of Fort Lauderdale years ago. I slept around a lot and went to the clubs (including South Beach) almost every night. I can't count the number of guys I was with, and only once did I start having a relationship. Everything you mention is spot on. My experience with guys down there was (still is) that they are always looking for someone better (better looking, better built, better well off, etc.) and I don't think that many (not all, mind you) guys aren't looking to settle down. It's just too hard. You didn't mention the drugs, which also plays a factor - guys get high on coke, X, whatever and become someone they're not and do things they wouldn't normally do. Don't give up hope, but my experience was to enjoy South Florida for what it is, and before it eats you up and spits you out move on. There are plenty of other places with guys just like you looking for Mr. Right.

I lived just south of Fort Lauderdale years ago. I slept around a lot and went to the clubs (including South Beach) almost every night. I can't count the number of guys I was with, and only once did I start having a relationship. Everything you mention is spot on. My experience with guys down there was (still is) that they are always looking for someone better (better looking, better built, better well off, etc.) and I don't think that many (not all, mind you) guys aren't looking to settle down. It's just too hard. You didn't mention the drugs, which also plays a factor - guys get high on coke, X, whatever and become someone they're not and do things they wouldn't normally do. Don't give up hope, but my experience was to enjoy South Florida for what it is, and before it eats you up and spits you out move on. There are plenty of other places with guys just like you looking for Mr. Right.

Thanks! Where do you live now? How long ago did you live here? I'm glad you understand what it's like down here because it's hard to explain to those that don't live here.

hvdude

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I initially moved back to NY then later upstate. I lived there in the late '80s when South Beach was having it's renaissance. I had many nights of feeling horrible about myself because I felt I wasn't hot enough, muscle-y enough, etc. My friends introduced me to coke, which back then was so easy to get when you were in a club. So if I wasn't "feeling lucky" I'd head off to the bathroom and do a little, then a little more, etc. The next morning I'd wake up feeling lousy and lousy about myself. Thankfully I got out of there before things got too bad.

I initially moved back to NY then later upstate. I lived there in the late '80s when South Beach was having it's renaissance. I had many nights of feeling horrible about myself because I felt I wasn't hot enough, muscle-y enough, etc. My friends introduced me to coke, which back then was so easy to get when you were in a club. So if I wasn't "feeling lucky" I'd head off to the bathroom and do a little, then a little more, etc. The next morning I'd wake up feeling lousy and lousy about myself. Thankfully I got out of there before things got too bad.

Ah yes. I hear that the 80's in South Beach was very gay. Now, those 20 somethings that spent their prime gay years on South Beach have moved north to Wilton Manors/Fort Lauderdale. The same stuff still goes on though.