What's good about George W. Bush?

D_Al_K_Celtzah

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Since the "Why is the world very anti-American" thread has caused such a commotion, I'd like to open this one so I can understand what's behind the pro-Bush opinions.

My question is, other than the war on terrorism, what has Bush done that was good for America? What decisions did he make to improve life quality there, etc.?
I'm more interested in his actions inside the American borders.
This is a sincere attempt of trying to see the other side of the story.

Some things I'd like you to keep in mind:
1 - My mind is made up on what I think about Bush. I'm not going to try and change your opinion, nor am I trying to get convinced of something.
2 - Try to stick to the subject and not engage in arguments. My point here is not to start another fired-up debate :mad:
3 - This is strictly out of my curiosity. I am not judging values.
4 - Let's try and keep it cool, shall we.
5 - I'm not a moderator, so I don't know if I have any right to ask for the above 4 points :tongue:

thank you

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
He's unintentionally funny, with his Busherisms. (that's good for us, but bad for him)

I googled "what's good about George W. Bush" and I got a whole page of negative response results. Hey I tired.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's a good thread and I would love to answer...at the moment I am very tired and off to bed in a few, but I will give it careful consideration and try to answer later. I hope your intention for this thread to be peaceful will be honored, but I think it probably will just be another one for the mob mentality. Whenever I have said anything that goes against the norm, it has always been met unfavorably. I think I am just different than most here, yet I am very much like them...I just see a different path to take to reach the common goal, and I just see it from a different perspective. I have read so many posts that are anti-conservative, anti-rich, and frankly I just don't understand. I am conservative because I do not want government in my business...I think the less government interaction in people's lives the better off we will all be. I don't think the government empowers us through government programs supposedly designed to help us, I think we as individuals know our own needs and circumstances and are far more capable of helping ourselves. I don't think any particular group of people need specific rights, I think all people should have the same rights and those rights should be enforced instead of assigned more categories...it just makes way for more government and the potential for more corruption. The government is always taxing us for their programs which don't work and I would like people to have the choice to help themselves. As far as anti-rich bashing on this site goes...I don't get that either, everyone wants to be rich...the American dream...yet those who don't have means hate and hold grudges against those who have! I know this doesn't answer your question, but perhaps it will give you some insight as to why I have the opinions I have...

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I've seen some of his legislation on the net (or at least purposed) and I thought that was quite good. I'll see if I can find it on the net somewhere again.

Also he got rid of Saddam Huessin, that's pretty impressive. Although I'm not an American so I can't comment on much.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've seen some of his legislation on the net (or at least purposed) and I thought that was quite good. I'll see if I can find it on the net somewhere again.

Also he got rid of Saddam Huessin, that's pretty impressive. Although I'm not an American so I can't comment on much.

I wish you were American! I get so sick and tired of Anti-American statements by Americans...but at least I can tell myself I am fortunate not to live where people didn't have the right to freedom of speech. I can also tell myself I am fortunate we don't have a leader like Sadam.

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

We and the whole world were better off with Hussein in power. Hell he kept peace in the whole region. He wasn't bothering us or anybody else. That's a fact!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As far as anti-rich bashing on this site goes...I don't get that either, everyone wants to be rich...the American dream...yet those who don't have means hate and hold grudges against those who have!...

Being rich is great. Having blood on your hands to become rich is not.

We have many problems in the U.S. We need affordable housing and living wages. Two things that the Republicans are against.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Being rich is great. Having blood on your hands to become rich is not.

We have many problems in the U.S. We need affordable housing and living wages. Two things that the Republicans are against.

Hey, don't speak for me! I am Republican and I am not against those things...where do you come up with these beliefs? If the government would stop taxing us to death, we'd all be able to afford housing and we'd all be able to live on our own wages. If money is to be put anywhere it should be into the education system where it can be revamped and made to fit our current needs so that children can be properly educated and prepared to make a decent living.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
We and the whole world were better off with Hussein in power. Hell he kept peace in the whole region. He wasn't bothering us or anybody else. That's a fact!

Are you saying there was peace in the Middle East? You are mad if you believe continuous rape, murder, corruption is valid for peace.

Ok you could disagree saying that there is still corruption and murder in the middle east, but once, and hopefully a strong police/army force will be built up in Iraq with help from out troops and services out there to keep the place peaceful.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
See savageblue? Your attempt to have serious conversation has gone by the wayside...

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Are you saying there was peace in the Middle East? You are mad if you believe continuous rape, murder, corruption is valid for peace.

Ok you could disagree saying that there is still corruption and murder in the middle east, but once, and hopefully a strong police/army force will be built up in Iraq with help from out troops and services out there to keep the place peaceful.

He probably would say the same thing about Hitler...don't let him bait you...some comments just don't deserve a response. Even with the evidence out there of tortured, raped, mutilated, murdered people, they don't see it. People today argue over the existence of the holocaust. It will never end.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
See savageblue? Your attempt to have serious conversation has gone by the wayside...

It's not that. You are only gonna find 25% or less of people who approve of Bush. I think you will find less here. There are many intelligent people here.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Savage? I hate when you make me think this early in the morning.

This is a harder question to answer than you think. In all honesty, can you blame or honor one man for all of this? My thought is this:

A president is only as good as the cabinet he has.

Yes, Saddam is gone and I think the world is better off for it. I do wonder how much stability was brought to the mideast by him since it would appear the fear he instilled did keep a strained, yet quieter region. I am on the fence as to some of the reasons that were given for his ouster. I am also very aware it is human nature to bitch rather than praise (ex: I love my new necklace, but did it have to be rubies?). So I will try to answer this as impartially as I can.

Bush came in with three strikes against him (His father, his wealth related to said father, and an election that made the US rethink the election process). I think Bush really did try to foster a non-partisan government and he was succeeding in "crossing the aisle" as it were. Bush was doing a great job on his own merit, he had a great advisor in General Colin Powell, and he had the respect of both parties which is rare for even the most popular president. Then 9/11 happened and the administration's whole focus changed.

The administration made some serious mistakes in how to handle Afghanistan, Iraq, Al-Qaeda, and the rest of the Arab world. Bush is a baby boomer who really isn't familiar with war (Yes, he can remember Vietnam, but it was a war of mistakes as well and LBJ made his fair share of gaffs in that one). All in all, Bush has done no worse or better job than his predecessors. He has had to shoulder the blame for the war, he has had his bipartisan dream shattered, and the unfortunate thing is that history will probably declare him "the man that screwed up the Middle East". I say that is not fair at all.

Bush has had to juggle a lot in his time at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Family, Country, Political, and World. He is only as good as his advisors. Colin Powell bailed on him and I have often wondered if it was disagreement with his other advisors. He has had some highly visible failures with sone of his choices (Roberto Gonzales comes to mind now), but is that all on Bush?

So, I guess my answer is this. I don't see what is so wrong with Bush as much as I would ask is he getting the best advice from his advisors on the issues he is not up on. On his domestic policy, Bush has been pretty good, again, the Middle East issues overshadowed and derailed those policies and, in some cases, their enactment.

So do I want bush gone? Not necessarily. Do I want some of his cabinet gone? Absolutely.

Sorry 36DD if this offends, but I will say I love my country and I think the president has the toughest job around. I mean we put the target on some poor schmoes back every 4 years. That can't be an easy burden to bare.

D_Al_K_Celtzah

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Completely... :frown1:

I'll try again:
- Leave the war on terrorism out of this thread;
- Focus on what he has done inside US borders;
- I already have an opinion about G. W. Bush and it is NEGATIVE, so I don't need to know about other bad things he has done, nor his Bushisms. All I need to to for that is turn on the news. What I want to know is what we usually don't see in the international news, good things he has done for the correct/improved working of the american society. I'm trying to understand why half of the American people voted for him the second time (please, no need to mention the electoral system and all of its ideosyncrasies)

Can we do this, pretty please? :rolleyes:

I'll be waiting for answer, 36DD, when you're awake :smile:

D_Al_K_Celtzah

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ooooops. Sorry, Osiris. I hadn't noticed there was a second page of replies before writting my previous comment.

Quote [Osiris]: On his domestic policy, Bush has been pretty good, again, the Middle East issues overshadowed and derailed those policies and, in some cases, their enactment.

This almost sounds like all he has done after 9/11 was make decisions about war, and I'm sure that isn't so. It's precisely those overshadowed issues I am asking about. What were they? =)

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
he is the first president that just naturally makes me laugh.
fool me once shame on you...that one is hilarious.