what's good for the goose is good for the gander??

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by docilej, May 7, 2010.

1. docilej

docilej Member

Group Backs Ritual ‘Nick’ as Female Circumcision Option
    By PAM BELLUCK

Published: May 6, 2010

In a controversial change to a longstanding policy concerning the practice of female circumcision in some African and Asian cultures, the American Academy of Pediatrics is suggesting that American doctors be given permission to perform a ceremonial pinprick or “nick” on girls from these cultures if it would keep their families from sending them overseas for the full circumcision.

Read the rest of the article here

#1 docilej, May 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2010
  2. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh My Gosh! I almost threw up. NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO! They would have to kill me before they would get to any children I ever have to do something like that. Personally I don't have a penis. I've never seen an uncircumsized penis in real life. I think men know more about it than I do. But as fair as I'm concerned. IF IT WASN'T MEANT TO BE THERE IT WOULDN'T BE! I don't like the idea of doing something to children they have no control over.

3. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Oh, that's a bad comparison.

I believe "female circumcision" should be called "female castration." It's only comparable to male circumcision if male circumcision involved cutting off the head of the penis. :eek:

I'm all for a "ceremonial pinprick" if it stops families from ruining their daughter's lives.

4. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's the first thing I was thinking about it. Female circumcision normally involves cutting the clitoris. That's disgusting! A pinprick... I guess it thats their culture and beliefs but removing the clitoris like I've read about before is horrible.

5. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Yeah circumcision is the removal of the foreskin, a female equivalent would be the removal of the clitoral HOOD only. She would still be able to orgasm from rubbing that area if the hood removal was all that was going on. But female circ is most often the removal of the entire clitoris, sometimes the removal of any exposed inner labia and the removal of the outer labia.

Here's a photo of what kind of damage can be done, this is called female nullification. It would equate cutting your entire penis off, atleast the top half.

http://wiki.bmezine.com/images/f/fb/Female_Nullification-2.jpg

If it meant that these girls only received something ceremonial to please the parents which have the ability to massacre their genital region, we ought to think of it as a positive step in the right direction.

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Female sexual mutilation is a barbaric practice meant to prevent women from experiencing sexual pleasure; any culture that finds such a goal to be acceptable, let alone laudable, needs to be condemned by civilization.

7. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ok I did throw up... just alittle. I can't fathom why someone would want to do this to a child. I still think if it didn't need to be there it wouldn't be. I can't decide between being outraged or just being sick. I think I have to settle for both and fight through the sickness if something of this nature happens in other countries I will follow through with my rights and vote NO to something of this nature in America. I have never seen a picture as bad as the one you posted. I have seen the clitoral circ's before. There is NO medical reason for this.

8. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with you!

9. D_wcrtrty

D_wcrtrty New Member

Thank you for posting this information. I thought thats what it was and It is a disgrace that they would do that to a child and deprive them of their right to experience something wonderful. It makes me sick that this is acceptable behavior in some cultures.

10. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    This has been happening for centuries. In most countries where it occurs, the government is trying to stop it, but it's very difficult. In some countries, girls who have not been mutilated cannot find a husband since some men insist on it.

There are varying degrees to which it is done. In some places, only a small nick is made. In other places, the mutilation is absolutely horrible and the girl is sewn shut with a small stick inserted so that there will be a small hole for urine to exit and later the menses will exit through the same hole. This is commonly done with anesthesia and often the instruments are not sterilized. According to what I've read, it's so horrible that completely emptying the bladder can take 10 minutes. The idea in that case is to ensure virginity. After marriage, the woman has to be cut open. Sometimes the husband cuts his wife open with a knife on the wedding night. Sometimes if the husband will be away for an extended period, he has his wife sewn up again.

With the radical procedures, there are always medical complications which are sometimes fatal. Many women thus mutilated have to endure constant pain and sex is often very painful. It creates complications for childbirth.

It is totally barbaric and ghastly. I do not understand how such a thing became commonplace in some parts of the world.

I must stop now; I feel almost sick.

11. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I would like to also include a few more links (all of the images i am including are of adult women who consented to these procedures as a form of chastity fetish to the extreme)

Warning, the following is very graphic
    "The child, completely naked, is made to sit on a low stool. Several women take hold of her and open her legs wide. After separating her outer and inner lips, the operator, usually a woman experienced in this procedure, sits down facing the child. With her kitchen knife the operator first pierces and slices open the hood of the clitoris. Then she begins to cut it out. While another woman wipes off the blood with a rag, the operator digs with her sharp fingernail a hole the length of the clitoris to detach and pull out the organ. The little girl, held down by the women helpers, screams in extreme pain; but no one pays the slightest attention.The operator finishes this job by entirely pulling out the clitoris, cutting it to the bone with her knife. Her helpers again wipe off the spurting blood with a rag. The operator then removes the remaining flesh, digging with her finger to remove any remnant of the clitoris among the flowing blood. The neighbor women are then invited to plunge their fingers into the bloody hole to verify that every piece of the clitoris is removed."
    -Excerpt from Hosken Report, Somalia Genital and Sexual Mutilation of Females, Fourth Revised Edition, 1993 (Women’s International Network News)" http://wiki.bmezine.com/images/d/d9/FGM.jpg

Image:Clitoral Removal-2.jpg - BMEzine Encyclopedia

Image:Clitoral Removal-4.jpg - BMEzine Encyclopedia

12. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Mlle. Rouge, I support you posting more links and information, because the horror should be better known!

Those photos of the "extreme chastity" fetishists are disgusting! How horrible!

#12 petite, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  13. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Its barbaric!

I watched a documentary on Sky a few yrs ago and it was about this.Three female members of the family pinned and forced this girl of about 8 or so down on the ground whilst an elder got a blade and did the 'circumcision'....no pain relief,nothing.The poor childs screams chilled me to the bone.

On the same documentary there was a few young adults saying that they had had it done as well and one said she got septic and her genitals were more disfigured than anything i had ever seen.They resembled melted candle wax,i admit i cried when i watched it.

14. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

When i went through a phase of anorgasmia primarily due to high blood pressure and nerve issues in my back....i considered having my hood removed, i have had it pierced twice to try to help with the sensitivity but they both migrated quickly and became uncomfortable.

I see nothing wrong with the idea of removing the hood on an adult, but many doctors won't go beyond that as far as female genital mutilation goes. These things that are done in America on fetishists are done in the room of a body piercing shop with obviously no pain relief or numbing agent. Part of the fetish is to do it in a painful way and it is illegal for a person who is not a medically licensed to give injections of lidocaine and the like for numbing the area.

15. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am so horrified. I have no tolerance for children in pain. The last time one of our phlebotomist's had to draw labs from a little girl I had to leave the room. The idea of women holding a child down while someone mutilates them is disgusting. And what FRE added was even worse. I went from reading his post straight into this one. *shivers* If your older and you make the decision to have your body modified in some fashion that's totally your decision. I've had my BB pierced and gotten a tat. But I was able to decide for myself. Something beautiful was taken from those girls that they can never get back.

#15 HiddenLacey, May 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2010
  16. Meteoric

Meteoric New Member

This thread makes me sad

17. D_JJzzkk11

D_JJzzkk11 New Member

I'm of the belief no childs genitals should be modified in any way without a good medical reason. Male or female. Let them get to an age where they can make an informed decision first.

But in this case.. I'd have to take the lesser of two evils. If this "pinprick" would satisfy some barbarians over taking their child overseas to be forever mutilated, it should be brought on asap.

18. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I found it extremely difficult to read the graphic description of the procedure. It would be tempting to lower those who performed it very slowly into a vat of acid. I do not understand how they could do such a thing with the child screaming in excruciating pain. The women doing the mutilation had to be aware of the pain because it had been done to them also. That extreme pain alone can sometimes cause death. I would expect it to do psychological damage also. How could a child ever again trust people after going through that?

I've known about the barbaric procedure for at least 30 years and it still horrifies me. There are a few men in the countries where it is done who have vowed not to marry a mutilated woman. If there were more of them, the mutilations would end. A few fathers, after witnessing the pain experienced when one child was mutilated, have refused to permit subsequent children from being mutilated.

That mutilation sometimes is done secretly among immigrants. Ending it is difficult.

19. Sassy

Sassy Member

I understand that it's to keep a woman also from straying (if sex isn't pleasurable, the thought is that she's less likely to stray). Obviously, these men have no idea of the numerous women who will have sex with their partners for the intimacy and closeness.

If only that Twilight Zone episode could be done in a similar manner (the one where the racist was hunted down by racists). If these men experienced ....

It's a power and control issue - isn't it? Control their women? Purdah started out for an anthropological reason, and it's now mainly for control/power reasons is what I see.

20. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Precisely. It's an archaic notion held over from a time when ignorance reigned (to a lesser extent, anyhow).

This article also highlights the inherent stupidity of "zero-tolerance" legislation, such as the current law that criminalizes any procedure involving infant female genitalia, no matter the reason. Legally, doctors here cannot even make a pinprick to satisfy the blood rite of such cultures, even though it's less invasive than piercing earlobes. As fallible creatures of the flesh, our lives cannot effectively be governed by such rules that leave no allowances for our humanity.

Draft saved Draft deleted