what's harder

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by mista geechee, May 22, 2008.

1. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    simple question

what do you think it is harder to be in america?

a black male
    a homosexual
    any other minority
    a black woman
    a woman period

?

in my opinion its a black male. but that's just speaking from my own experience.

2. Axcess

Gold Member

I don't know . I think is tie between being a woman and being a black person

3. Principessa

Gold Member

IMO, The only thing more difficult than being a Black male in America is being an Iraqi or other 'middle eastern looking' male.

4. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Then wouldn't it be double difficult for a black woman?

5. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    could be so. but at hte same time black men are still portrayed in a negative way at times. like a bunch of welfare lovin, watermelon eatin, baby makin, liquer store robbin, slam dunkin heathans.

but i'd have to say that gay black men got it the hardest. but you can conceal homosexuality, you cant conceal your skin color

6. Axcess

Gold Member

You are right . Being a black woman would be harder.

7. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    honestly....since I have never been any of these things/races/people before, I cannot say. I know that being me can be hard at times, but like I said, I've never been anyone else besides me, so why should I try and tell others who I think has it harder. In general, life can suck. Its what we do with ourselves during these sucky times that makes us appreciate the good things in life. Life's not all bad, so why go around focusing on the difficulties, and lets focus on the good in each other and the world.

8. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Unless you're white. We got plenty of ways to darken your skin. But nothing practical to pale it.

9. Principessa

Gold Member

You got that right brotha! :cool:

There is a 2% to 3% hydroquinone solution in blemish and fade creams. Personally, I like the shade of brown I am. :smile: I wouldn't want to be a lighter complexion.

10. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Oh please.

Being a woman?
    Really?

Yeah, they got it sooooo tough.

Here's the only answer that makes sense...
    No matter how tough any black male has it, or any woman, or gay person...

There is someone else who has it tougher.

Everybody should just quit their bitching and get on with life.

You suffer what you CHOSE to suffer.

11. B_The Greek Dude

B_The Greek Dude New Member

Being a homosexual black woman sucks.

Is it normal for you to bleed and be crampy every month?

Is it normal for you to violently push a human out of your penis for a couple of hours?

Is it normal for you to have emotions that the opposite gender will never understand?

12. B_Demention

B_Demention New Member

I got it, I got it... a gay, obese Jewish black woman with a physical handicap and a lazy eye. All kidding aside, Phil's answer is very good.

13. clear

clear Member

Albums:
    Hmmm…

This is such a strange topic of discussion (one that I am very tempted not to comment on); however I would like to give my two cents, lol.

On a national level- and in general –I would have to say black women; if by no other virtue then because a large percentage of them had to occupy the roles of both parents (i.e. mom and dad) while also being the sole income provider for their household. This feat is not unique to black women specifically by any means, however in this country- in which the black male has occupied some of the most marginal roles and negative associations in society –they have had to endure much more than their peers in other social strata or racial groups. This of course coupled with the fact that the content of their character is often over looked because of the color of their skin doesn’t help much either. On the other hand, within context of African Americans- as a group -being a black gay male is often times far worse than being a black woman. But this is usually dependant on ones social up bringing almost exclusively; from what I observed in my experience thus far.

Aside from that, this topic eventually boils down to what many already know, accept, ignore or could care less about, or don’t understand. And that’s the issue of race, yet again. Though this country has made great progress in better establishing racial equality, it has by no means accomplished this yet. That is why these words from Dr. Martin Luther King still haunt us today. They read:

“The majority of white Americans consider themselves sincerely committed to justice for the Negro. They believe that American society is essentially hospitable to fair play and to steady growth toward a middle-class Utopia embodying racial harmony. But unfortunately this is a fantasy of self-deception and comfortable vanity. Overwhelmingly America is still struggling with irresolution and contradictions. It has been sincere and even ardent in welcoming some change. But too quickly apathy and disinterest rise to the surface when the next logical steps are to be taken. Laws are passed in a crisis mood after a Birmingham or a Selma, but no substantial fervor survives the formal signing of legislation. The recording of the law in itself is treated as the reality of the reform.”

In any case, I do believe this country of ours has made great strides to address some of the great wrongs of its past. But we must not forget that the last major vestiges of slaveries legacy- in this country (i.e. institutional racism/legally mandated segregation) -were only really challenged and broken less than fifty years ago... FIFTY! This means at least “two generations” of people- still very much alive today –experienced this all “first hand”. Historically speaking, those are freshly made wounds in need of healing that were not caused by any "choice" of the people who suffered from it. Let me know what you all think.

Sincerely, my two cents…

Ted D.:cool:

Ciao-

14. B_JasonDawgxxx

B_JasonDawgxxx New Member

I say Black Male.

15. TinyPrincess

Gold Member

Albums:
    Anything but a wasp?

I would consider it harder to be an arabic muslim than even a black male...

16. B_The Greek Dude

How about: A short, fat, hairy, old quadraplegic black woman, who is going mad from syphilis?

17. B_Demention

B_Demention New Member

We are so qualified to develop 21st century cartoons as well as diversity statements for major corporations. Seriously, I don't know why we haven't been snapped up yet.

18. B_The Greek Dude

Well actually, I was thinking that this woman could have her own TV show; who WOULDN'T want to see the whacky adventures of Edith Blackwell? The pilot could show her going for her yearly physical at her doctor's (Dr. Lipschitts) office.

19. Principessa

Gold Member

20. TinyPrincess

Gold Member

Albums:
    Again we just happen to agree :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted