What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff: Jokes, Quizzes, Games & Pics' started by Mandee, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Mandee

Gold Member

Have you ever wondered where your name came from or what it means? I was just thinking about this, because my mom named my brother Rex, after our father, and the name Rex means king... my brother always brags about this.

If you don't want to use your first name, you can use a nick-name or middle name.

www.behindthename.com

My results:

AMANDA
    Gender: Feminine Usage: English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Finnish Pronounced: a-MAN-da (English), ah-MAHN-dah (Spanish, Italian) [key]
    Created in the 17th century by the playwright Colley Cibber, who based it on Latin amanda meaning "lovable".

2. beretta8

Gold Member

Albums:
    TIMOTHY Gender: Masculine
    Usage: English, Biblical
    Pronounced: TIM-u-thee [key]
    From the Greek name Τιμοθεος (Timotheos) meaning "honouring God", derived from τιμαω (timao) "to honour" and θεος (theos) "god". Saint Timothy was a companion of Paul on his missionary journeys and was the recipient of two of Paul's epistles that appear in the New Testament. According to tradition, he was martyred at Ephesus after protesting the worship of Artemis.

3. crazy_one53402

Gold Member

Albums:
    SHANE Gender: Masculine
    Usage: Irish, English
    Pronounced: SHAYN [key]
    Anglicized form of SEÁN

SEÁN Gender: Masculine
    Usage: Irish
    Pronounced: SHAWN [key]
    Irish form of JOHN
    English form of Iohannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its consistent popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered as saints. The first was John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ and a victim of beheading by Herod Antipas. The second was the apostle John, also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation.The name has been borne by 21 popes and eight Byzantine emperors, as well as kings of England, France, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Portugal and Hungary. It was also borne by the poet John Milton and the philosopher John Locke.
    [​IMG] Popularity
    [​IMG] Related Names
    [​IMG] Namesakes
    [​IMG] Name Days
    [​IMG] Websites
    [​IMG] Images
    [​IMG] Ratings
    [​IMG] Comments
    [​IMG] Contribute Information
    [​IMG] Add to Your Lis

4. D_Theophallus Kneedgroin

D_Theophallus Kneedgroin Account Disabled

BENITO
    Gender: Masculine Usage: Spanish, Italian Pronounced: be-NEE-to [key]
    Spanish form of BENEDICT. This name was borne by Mexican president Benito Juárez, and also by Benito Mussolini (who was named after Juárez), the fascist dictator of Italy during World War II.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

PATRICIA f English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Ancient Roman Feminine form of Patricius (see PATRICK).

From the Roman name Patricius, which meant "nobleman" in Latin. A 5th-century saint, the patron saint of Ireland, adopted this name (his birth name was Sucat). During his youth he was captured by Irish raiders and enslaved, but after six years of servitude he escaped to his home in Britain. Eventually he became a bishop and went back to Ireland as a missionary, where he succeeded in Christianizing the entire country.

6. lttlgrllst

lttlgrllst New Member

7. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

the origin of my name goes further back by three other names. geez louise!

STACY

Gender: Feminine & Masculine Usage: English Pronounced: STAY-see [key]
    Variant of STACEY

STACEY
    Gender: Feminine & Masculine Usage: English Pronounced: STAY-see [key]
    Short form of ANASTASIA or EUSTACE

ANASTASIA
    Usage: Greek, Ancient Greek Other Scripts: Αναστασια (Ancient Greek) Pronounced: a-na-STAY-zha (English), a-na-STAS-ee-a (English) [key]
    Feminine form of ANASTASIUS. This was the name of a 4th-century Dalmatian saint who was martyred during the persecutions of the Roman emperor Diocletian.

ANASTASIUS Gender: Masculine Usage: Ancient Greek (Latinized)
    Latinized form of the Greek name Αναστασιος (Anastasios) which meant "resurrection" from Greek αναστασις (anastasis) (composed of the elements ανα (ana) "up" and στασις (stasis) "standing"). This was the name of numerous early saints and martyrs.

8. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

BRYAN
    Variant of BRIAN

BRIAN
    Gender: Masculine Usage: Irish, English Pronounced: BRIE-an [key]
    The meaning of this name is not known for certain but it is possibly related to the Old Celtic element bre meaning "hill", or by extension "high, noble". Brian Boru was an Irish king who thwarted Viking attempts to conquer Ireland in the 11th century. He was victorious in the Battle of Clontarf, but he himself was slain.

9. Principessa

Gold Member

Does that mean I can call you Big Ben? :flirt:

10. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

PAUL
    Gender: Masculine Usage: English, French, German, Scandinavian, Romanian, Biblical Pronounced: PAWL (English), POL (French), POWL (German) [key]
    From the Roman family name Paulus, which meant "small" or "humble" in Latin. Saint Paul was an important leader of the early Christian church, his story told in Acts in the New Testament. He was originally named Saul, but changed his name after converting to Christianity. Most of the epistles in the New Testament were authored by him. This was also the name of six popes. Famous bearers of this name in the art world include Paul Cezanne and Paul Gauguin, both 19th-century impressionist painters from France.

11. Gonzo3

Gold Member

Albums:
    Gonzo3, formally known as "The Great Gonzo" daredevil performance artist.I take pride in my uniqueness ,Nobody knows where my name came from except my parents..................and there not talking,it was always one of those taboo subjects around the dinner table.

12. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

This was the closest I could find:

HANDE
    Usage: Turkish
    Means "to smile" in Turkish.

Draft saved Draft deleted