What's in your basket??

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BigDallasDick8x6, Nov 22, 2009.

1. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Interesting observation

.......at least to me.

Went to the grocery store at 8am this morning before it gets too busy. So I have my vast quantities of salads, yogurts, organic skim milk, etc the cashier is ringing up. She says "All the healthy people shop early in the morning." I asked her what she meant by that and she said the people who come in early buy fruits and vegetables and "healthy stuff" and as the day goes on the percentage of sodas and chips etc increases. I told her maybe those people don't have enough energy to get up early in the morning because of all the junk they eat?

Anyway, it's the first time I've heard of this correlation but I guess she should know. Now the question is WHY do people who shop "healthy" do so earlier in the morning? I guess one explanation could be that if you buy more produce and less processed food you want to get there earlier to pick out the best (freshest, least damaged) produce? Can't really think of other causes, can you?

Anyway -- What kind of shopper are you: healthy, average, or junk food junkie and what time of day to you get your groceries? In other words, how accurate is her observation?

[Warning: I've always said the people who put up cranky, irritable posts need more fiber in their diet. So just a warning to anyone who can't discuss this like an adult: If you say the very idea is STUPID and IDIOTIC and scientists don't know what the hell they are talking about and what is good for you one year they say is bad for you the next -- You'll be reinforcing my fiber theory. LOL]

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Interesting observation. I never buy junk food. I go to the supermarket early to avoid the crowds and the irritating people who don't know how to drive a shopping cart. But I buy my produce from the green grocer and my meat at the meat market and my fish someplace else and my bread at yet another location. I try to have it all home by 9:00 am.
    To answer your question, I try to buy the best possible food available. Sometimes I cook it in a way that may not be considered healthy by some, but it certainly is delicious!

#2 nudeyorker, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. luka82

Gold Member

Me too, but i eat a lot hence the belly!
    I just adore cooking and making food for my friends.
    I think that only people who cook food know how to buy food!

4. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I find that only people who cook food well know how to buy food.

5. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ramen, lots of ramen, because it is cheap. :tongue: I'd like to buy healthier stuff, not only for that benefit, but I want to practice cooking. Making prepackaged ramen isn't exactly rocket surgery, so it isn't doing me any good except filling my belly, and being quick. I don't buy the groceries though, no money. ;(

Oh I also love cereal, so often times if I have some money and am hungry, I'll get a big bag of cereal and a jug of milk, usually a gallon, even though it is more than enough for the cereal, I like milk too. For a while I was eating more fast food just because I was on the go a lot more, and it is cheap. I almost always order off the dollar menu of where ever I am, and always get water instead of soda.

6. luka82

Gold Member

Honestly kid, u are sugar!

7. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I go to the store at whatever damn time I can make it there because I have offspring, a job and a fucking life. I buy a combo of healthy, treaty, budget and 'healthy treat' - and a bollock load of pet food.

8. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I buy all my fruits and vegetables at the Friday market which is conveniently held just 200m up the street from my house. I go at 8.00am before heading off to work, because you get your pick of the best, it's not crowded and everyone is in a good mood. I have tea with the guy I buy potatoes from. I sometimes go after work at 7.00 pm, but the pickings are slim.

For bread there is a nice bakery just next door to the marketplace.

Fresh meat is bought at the nearby small grocery store along with cheese, dried food and all the other things one needs.

Come to think of it, I haven't been in large supermarket in ages.

9. luka82

Gold Member

In Serbia supermarkets have the best food cause they buy it from peasents...
    I know, it makes no sense, but those guys who own supermarkets here have the monopoly on food too, so the food is the best there!

10. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

minus apples and chicken i rarely buy "healthy" foods. then again, i rarely eat.

11. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    What do you do then, photosynthesize?

12. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

in Portsmouth?!!!? i wouldnt make a week lol

13. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I write the shopping list, but can't actually be arsed going, so other ppl have to do it. ;)

14. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

I think you are all lying, since most of the names who replied here are usually keeping me company in the chatroom. So either you are walking around with a laptop strapped to your shopping carts, OR you are just lying to actually make us think you leave the damn house sometimes. (WINK). I scavenger trash cans in the middle of the nite for food. Is it healthy ? probably not. Is it Fresh ? Hell NO ! Is it tasty ? Only if my drugs have kicked in... But it all keeps the body going, not that sure about the mind. Jury still out on that one.

15. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm buying direct from the peasants. No middleman.

Isn't it great living in a country with peasants?

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

It's the same as shopping at the Green Market in Union Square, but here they prefer to be called farmers!

17. luka82

Gold Member

Peasants rock:)

18. luka82

Gold Member

If u weren`t this bitter, i`d EAT U!!!:biggrin1:

19. cock23

cock23 New Member

Seljačino jedna :tongue:

And the anwser to the OP's question...I buy the best food possible. Always the best meat and eggs (free range/organic), and the best fruit and vegetables (organic). I (and my family) avoid all food which is packed full of chemicals such as flavourings and preservatives. Ready meals, instant noodles and all such food is a big no-no!

20. luka82

Gold Member

Bezobrazniče jedan, nevaspitani!!!!:tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted