What's it like to be a jock?

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yeah. In a bizarrely ironic way, we were immersed in our collective masculinity (and camaraderie) but too tired to charge up the (homo)eroticism.

NCbear (who can almost remember what that felt like, some days when he works out at his current gym)

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
You could say the same thing about girls trying to impress other girls. They care less what boys think about them.

Absolutely! You think cheerleading and beauty contests are really about pleasing men from the girl's point of view. She is out to show other women that she is the cat's meow.

All this said, I still believe that men do try to impress women and vice versa, but most of what motivates young people in their teenage years and early adulthood is same-sex approval.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
You most likely didn't charge up the homoeroticism because you didn't need to. People usually eroticize the things they lack. You guys didn't "get it on" because you did something deeper than that, deeper than sex: you had the experience of actually BEING one another.

Yeah. In a bizarrely ironic way, we were immersed in our collective masculinity (and camaraderie) but too tired to charge up the (homo)eroticism.

NCbear (who can almost remember what that felt like, some days when he works out at his current gym)

Garth33

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You most likely didn't charge up the homoeroticism because you didn't need to. People usually eroticize the things they lack. You guys didn't "get it on" because you did something deeper than that, deeper than sex: you had the experience of actually BEING one another.

I think it's classic male pack behavior...being in the "jocks" was a pretty elite class in that culture. You're automatically "cool", upper echelon of the guys in your school, get away with shit others couldn't because "we have to win that game friday night!", and probably the ONLY intensely hetero environment where you can get away with so called "gay acts" that are dismissed as "boys will be boys"...sounds like paradise.:cool:

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
I think it's classic male pack behavior...being in the "jocks" was a pretty elite class in that culture. You're automatically "cool", upper echelon of the guys in your school, get away with shit others couldn't because "we have to win that game friday night!", and probably the ONLY intensely hetero environment where you can get away with so called "gay acts" that are dismissed as "boys will be boys"...sounds like paradise.:cool:

Again, my theory is that people don't realize these are such gay behaviors because they (the jocks) view the bodies of the fellow teammates as merely extensions of their own bodies. So, in this view, it's no more "gay" than when a man masturbates himself.

Garth33

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
that's probably why you hear the most masculine sports have the highest incidences of "gay" behavior. Google "high school hazing" and I guarentee the majority of reports come from hockey teams. Where would the "jock" feel most comfortable? In a totally masculine sport like hockey?

D

deleted209766

i played soccer and baseball al thru high school and now i play soccer for wmu on the freshman team, i have alot of fun playing sports and i like that everybody always wants to be around us

jnp

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I never was a jock in high school...I played tennis, and my team went to Regionals and almost won...besides that, I admit, I was in marching band, which was damn fun lol. Even though I wasnt a jock, I still had the letter jacket, new mustang, tan and lean, went to parties every weekend, etc....I've only been out for a year lol, but I already miss it alot.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
that's probably why you hear the most masculine sports have the highest incidences of "gay" behavior. Google "high school hazing" and I guarentee the majority of reports come from hockey teams. Where would the "jock" feel most comfortable? In a totally masculine sport like hockey?

Although I adamantly disagree with hazing in all its forms, it does expose the "latent" homosexual side of the most masculine groups in our society. Why on earth would young men want to rub nasal decongestant salves on other young men's testicles and penile openings? What would motivate such behavior? Is it simply the desire to want to humiliate and inflict pain on inductees? Or, is it homosexuality under the guise of brotherhood on the backdrop of an initiation ceremony?

Homosexual undertones, or "overtones", are most apparent among male groups who exhibit the greatest fear of male homosexuality (excluding the gay male community:biggrin1:). A tough man isn't to fear anything...but homosexuality. And should he faces it, he better run as fast as he can while screaming into the night for an insanely fearful reaction to male-on-male sex is a defining characteristic of the hypermasculine or "real" man. But, ironically, it shatters his anything-but-gay image into millions of little gay pieces without any hopes of complete heterosexual restoration.

By the way, I'm not saying that every "tough" man is a latent homosexual, nor that all men in general are, either.:biggrin1:

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Funny thing. I have one jock friend on MySpace. I've noticed that a lot of comments to him on his pictures, comments coming from fellow jocks, say things like, "You look really sexy here," or, "You look cute here," and one comment, about a picture of him on the baseball field, says, "Look at that ass in those pants." If these guys weren't jocks, they would NEVER get away with such gay comments.

D_Biff Wellington

Experimental Member
Media
But that's also supposed to be really ironic and joking. When guys get competitive they call each other gay, not because they actually are, but because people just think its funny. I think the reason the gay bit is mixed in because that's their polar opposite - a guy with a handbag who sucks dick; it's the total opposite of the whole group.

Freeballin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I played American football, soccer and hockey in HS. I spent alot of time around other guys because there were no women on the team and I loved playing sports. Simple as that. Until I was about 16, I didn't have any female friends. I had a few girl friends but none that I'd just hang out with. When we all started driving, the groups became more mixed.
I only mention this because this typical of a heterosexual male. In all cultures men hang together. In Contrast, in many young homosexual males lives, they hang around girls. Of course I'm being general here but it's true.

I'm just guessing but possibly gay men like to hang out in a male environment when they get older because they didn't have a chance to when they were younger? I also think the jock thing is more of a fantasy for gay men because the objects of their desires when they were young were strong, handsome men, many of those who were jocks so they are trying to relive that experience.

If you calculate the amount of time that jocks spend in practice with the other males on their team, traveling to games with those other males, and playing with those other males (while sharing the field with an opposing team made up exclusively of males), you realize that all-in-all, male jocks live their lives in a heavily male-based environment.

I extrapolated from the above, suggesting that maybe jocks could understand why some men -- those referred to as "gay" -- may like to be a part of a heavily male-based environment, because, after all, jocks themselves spend much of their time in heavily male-based environments.

This is what I said. Read in to it anything you like.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Racsim is not inborn either. In my family, it was something that was taught, even unknowingly. I dunno what my Father thought of my black girlfriend, but many's the time he tired to keep his opinions shut, and offer his experience from then on.

Glad I didn't bring the black boy friends over...

Philly05

Experimental Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It's definitely different, this coming from a former book worm/computer nerd who was accepted into the jock community once I discovered the weight room. There arent too many intellectual types, however not all are neanderthals humping every skank that moves. At the high school level, we football players were often befriended by pretty much everybody and our social circles were pretty intermixed. Many women often jumped from one player to the next which caused a lot of clashes. In college, it wasnt a whole lot different except that you didnt have all the high school drama but you had your pick of just about any girl that frequented the party scene. The professors also all hated everyone of us as well as the football program. In the semi-pro level, nobody really cares :crying:

EFH33

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Speaking as a former elite high school athlete, I have to say it was probably some of the finest moments of my life. I went to an all-boys HS, so I didn't have the kind of female attention in school that many co-ed jocks got. However, if anyone saw the movie "Varsity Blues", that was a pretty good description of the types of parties we had after games. I had a girlfriend throughout high school, so I never partook in a lot of the sex that was thrown at me (Yes, even we jocks have morals). The funniest thing about these parties, though, was that most of them were thrown by former alumni of the school. We had access to college women, alcohol, and all the stuff young kids in HS shouldn't have had access to. I think it was well known by the administration what was going on, but they never said or did anything about it. I did have a LOT of things other kids my age didn't have, just because i was a football player.

All in all, being a jock has its privileges. However, I never once let it change who I was. I was the same guy, which I credit my parents and family for keeping me grounded.