Whats proper locker room etiquette for checking out guys or is it ok at all

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Great answer scott.

BBNY, I'd also remind yourself that nobody can read minds. Nobody knows what is going through your mind no matter where your head is facing. You sound sensitive, maybe because you're new. How about some small talk about weights, advice, regimens to break the ice with a couple of guys? That might make the environment feel a little more normal.

But 90% of the regulars at the gym are not going to be in a sensitive mood, straight or gay. They won't care what others do. When I work out, and take breaks, I can stare vacantly at a wall, TV, nothing. I can also be in the locker room thinking about nothing, and can be looking at nothing at all even if somebody naked moves into the view.

The other comments are right that most men's egos get a little buffed when they think other guys like the way they look or appreciate their physiques. Being admired is better than being nothing. But if somebody does snarl at you for looking the way you look, I'd assume they're having a period, or a fight at home, or a lousy life. If they ask you what you're looking at you can always say you pulled a muscle or your car broke down. That will distract them.

hung

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I would suspect that the same rules that applied in high school gym class would apply.

Please note, these were rules that we all understood, although they were not written anywhere.

Respect everyone. Enjoy the view and do not be a prude yourself. You are in a locker room and everyone expects you to shower to maintain a healthy clean smell.

If you face the wall to shower you are sending a message that you do not want to be seen. A bit difficult to comprehend in a locker room.

Be yourself and be genuine and do not stare as others have indicated here.

Enjoy life and the opportunity to see and be seen.

MH07

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Haven't seen this posted yet, so here goes:

Whatever you do, DON'T be annoying! Don't follow someone around. Nothing worse than somebody who can't take a polite "No thanks" for an answer (and they're not going to TELL you "No thanks", they'll do it by facing the wall, covering up, or leaving. That means, "Ok, I'm not into being stared at." It's bad form to follow them around like a puppy.

max90

Expert Member
Media
I don't understand why this kind of questions keep coming up and up. There is no book like 'Etiquette for checking out guys'...!

Come on, use your common sense. I hope you can judge yourself and just behave, you have been educated.

Media
Guy at gym yesterday is very nice for short man. Maybe 5-5 tall? But has BIG cock softie at least 5" long hanging over balls and flailing back and forth as he walks. And walk he does. Gets nude at locker then off to shwrs with towel in hand then shwrs w no curtain for couple mins then back to sink area to dry in full view of sauna folks then back to locker for something then into sauna where he makes a show of putting towel around waist. (we gotta be covered in mens only sauna...how gay is that?!?!). Then he sits on lower bench and is trying very hard to look under my towel. I wouldn't care, in fact I wish we could just be nude, but the room is a bit crowded so I have to be good and not purposely show anything. Finally he gets upand goes to shwr again so I wait a bit and go too. As usual he leaves curtain open so I grab first shwr which just happens to be caddy-corner across from him. I usually leave curtain open in the smaller stalls also so he finally gets his look. He's busy soaping and fluffing but I can see him as well but I keep my eyes at eye level and just say hi. He's obviously cruising but I'm not interested in that so he moves on to getting dressed and I go back to the sauna. Yea I look especially if they're flaunting it but I don't need a hookup.

Torque8

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Like others have said, a glance or quick look is okay, but don't stare. My workout buds and I get a bit put out by the guys that stare at us in our jocks or briefs which seems to happen more frequently than if we're toweling off or showering.

Truck

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
anyone not wearing any clothing in a locker room DOES NOT CARE. either that, or wants some attention, although he may not necessarily be gay. i think it'd be a compliment if i caught some one staring.

stlbigman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i don't know if there's a exact right way to stare and glare at a dude in a locker room but here's a definite no-no: I'm thinking back to a time several years ago when I was showering and this asian guy walked up to the area where me and this other guy were cleaning up. This guy wasn't even trying to be coy. He just stood there and stared at us for at least 2 MINUTES. I don't know if he was curious or size-envious or deranged but it was pissing me off. I can look at a guy in the locker room with the best of them but he was ridiculous. I asked him what was his problem and he walked away. PSA: DON"T DO WHAT HE DID OR YOU COULD GET YOUR ASS KICKED!

S

SirConcis

For me, I only need a quick glance to see the type of cock a guy has. No need to stare. But ever so often, there is an ambiguously circumcised one or otherwise interesting one where I need more than a quick glance to evaluite his glans. Generally accomplished by having multiple short glances as I move/turn around in the shower for instance.

Also, there are ways to be staring at a wall or floor and still have a cock in your field of vision :)

D_Layme Ducque

1st Like
Media
Has anyone gone one step further and taken fone pics in the locker room? I think the guy next to me last did, he was messin around with his fone for ages while i was gettin dressed. Just a hunch. He pointed my direction a few times

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Be a man among men and show good manners and you'll be fine.

well said Nick...allot of guys check each other out; if not for attraction then for competition. The key is simple discretion and good manners. I am bi, but lean for the home team, and get uncomfortable when getting 'eye humped' :rolleyes:

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Has anyone gone one step further and taken fone pics in the locker room? I think the guy next to me last did, he was messin around with his fone for ages while i was gettin dressed. Just a hunch. He pointed my direction a few times

My gyms in Chicago and Louisville have a cell phone area up front, near the check in desk. It is placarded all over the place that use of a cell phone, in any mode, outside of the 'cell zone' will result in revocation of your membership and a ban from the facilities. I saw it enforced about 2 weeks ago....

JohnDoeXXXm

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
to the post above me: how did you react? I would have been LIVID mad- and would have demanded him show me what he recorded or snapped- and made him delete it on the spot- and THEN I would have gone to management- as this is basically criminal behavior.

As for the staring issue- I think it's fairly commonplace at my locker room too- but the key I have found is the expectation. Let me explain. For guys that I have never seen there before, or "new guys/strangers", all is fair... and it's like you are two dogs that have to sniff each other's butts... you know, check each other out to see which is the dominant alpha-male. It's in our competitive male nature to do so.

A 'straight' guy won't be overt about it, but if he's self assured and easy going his mannerisms will be anywhere from making a lot of eye contact, offering a nice smile and friendly chat, to just sitting quietly. Depending on his own self confidence of his body, he might wrap up tight like fort knox, or he might sit with his towel very open- leaving nothing to the imagination. It's all fine and good- it's the first interatcion, and it falls into 'behavior around a stranger I'll never see again..."

The guys I see at my health club on a more common basis- (if we are working out on a simillar schedule so you see them frequently) well that's different. I know them because I have seen them before. Some I know as friends or as casual aquaintences. Others I know more about their families or work or whatnot from having or listening to converstations either on the workout floor, sauna or steamroom, etc.

Some guys love the attention- and sit in a way to basically invite you to memorize every inch of their body. Others are more modest. They eyes betray it all: watch a guy's eyes and see what he looks at when he's talking to you, or when you pass by. When you stand up to leave and radjust your towel in the steam room. Use your peripheral vision. If he is aware of his surroundings and is making eye contact with others in the room, he's open to attention.

On the opposite side, I have found that some guys will come into the sauna/steam room, and immediately close their eyes, or put their head down and stare at the floor, or put a second towel over their head to hide themselves completely- because they want to just sit quietly and not be social- just enjoy the heat. Some are basically isolated and acting like they are totally alone in a room full of people- which is also fine, if that's what he wants to do, as a 'defense mechanism' to being surrounded by a bunch of other men wearing only loose towels. I think it's very telling of his self-confidence, but that's just my opinion.

Bottom line is, some guys like to be stared at- they will walk around naked and give you plenty of chances to look. They might shave naked at the sink, or toss their clean towel over their shoulder so that the meat club swings free- after all they've paid their dues and it's a men's lockerroom so they have the right to let it all hang out.

My rule is to know (from prior interactions) who likes to be stared at, who likes to have actual eye-to-eye interactions, who covers themselves as quickly as possible. If I have a comfortable friendship with some guys, I will BLATANTLY give his cock a stare, then look back in his eyes and smile- it's complimentary and he knows it, and welcomes it. Then I'll open up my towel to begin dressing, and give him his opportunity to acknowledge my manhood right back. We are two men who are openly naked in a place where society allows this male bonding- and if it is mutually welcome on both sides, it's affirming behavior and there's nothing wrong with it. I think this aspect of male nature is a bit more understood by men who identify themselves as not 100% straight- at least it doesn't have to be explained.

Taking this rule into perspective, my behavior will also be different around a stranger. I will usually give him a little casual behavioral nudity, to see how he responds. Nothing major- maybe leave my towel a bit more loose than I normally would, or open it to re-tighten it when I stand up, or a quick peek across the corridor as he hangs his towel on the shower hook... but I acknowledge the fact that he is in the room, and that he's another member of my gender with the same sex equipment on display- and see what he chooses to show/look at in the context of being in my presence. It's all about catching the vibe of another guy- and seeing what is comfortable for both of you - as strangers, then as aquaintances- then perhaps as friends- in a place where you both choose to be naked and will frequently run into each other.

Around some dudes in my locker room, I keep my towel quite tightly wrapped around my waist- and it is opened when I am completely INSIDE my shower stall. I've seen them enough times in my locker room to decidedly NOT feel comfortable around them- and I am not made comfortable by their advances or watching how they stare at other guys. Since I can't control their behavior or limit them from using the club that they are also paying to use, I can only be responsible for my own behavior- so I choose to stare at the floor, or ignore them- (no direct eye contact.) This sends them the signal that staring and chatting and other interactions are unwelcomed.

If the locker room trolls (young or old) catch a quick glimpse of my buns as my boxers go up they can take that home to their own bedroom- I can't control that. But I can decide who I give more opportunity to enjoy looking at (and enjoying) my naked body just as I do, and I can be respectful and open to opportunities where the same welcomed behavior will be returned to me. It's the social investment that I put in that goes hand-in-hand with the time I am investing to building my muscles.

OK, discuss.

D_Coupeland Clydesdale

Experimental Member
Media
It all depends on the subjective level of creepiness the starer seems to have (in my opinion, of course). Since I'm a grower, I don't feel like I really have much to flaunt, so I pretty much do the towel wrap most of the time. I've fluffed it a bit for a looker or two in my time, and I've been given a full 9" hardon view before, but even then I played it cool and went with the game being played...he acted like I didn't see, and I acted like I couldn't help but glance. It was fun and harmless.

S

SirConcis

I agree with a previous poster's distinction between a newcomer and a regular.

For me, if it is a guy I have already seen naked and already saw his cock, then I don't feel any curiosity towards it because I have altready seen it.

But when it is a guy I have not seen before, I am curious to see what he's got between the legs.

oldman9x7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am forever amazed at guys who (presumably) have an attractive, larger than average dick, take offense when anyone tries to scope it out. If they owned a classic automobile would they keep it covered or locked away somewhere for fear that anybody else might admire it?

As for myself, I have had my somewhat oversized cock for over 75 years and I have never knowingly hidden it. Actually, if I am aware that someone is trying to see, I will make it easier for them by pulling it all the way out and maybe even turning toward them. Their usual reaction is appreciation. If they weren't interested they wouldn't have been trying to peek. I confess that I have popped more than a few boners while thus engaged not to mention receiving many hand jobs and some fabulous BJ's. So explain to me - why the false modesty?? Are you ashamed of your package????

Gramps

Reactions: Goose_Eggs